Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

I respectfully disagree with this. I think Vanek's signing WAS an indication he wanted to leave Buffalo. He had reasons to want out of Buffalo, namely Lindy Ruff. And if he's been in Buffalo all this time not wanting to be in Buffalo, have we

been getting the most for that $7 mill a year

contract? I think not.

If Vanek doesnt want to be here, good riddance.

I respectfully disagree with this. I think Vanek's signing WAS an indication he wanted to leave Buffalo. He had reasons to want out of Buffalo, namely Lindy Ruff. And if he's been in Buffalo all this time not wanting to be in Buffalo, have we been getting the most for that $7 mill a year contract? I think not.

You need to go back in time and read and hear some quotes from TV. He wanted to stay and was ecstatic that the Sabres wanted to keep him.

I respectfully disagree with this. I think Vanek's signing WAS an indication he wanted to leave Buffalo. He had reasons to want out of Buffalo, namely Lindy Ruff. And if he's been in Buffalo all this time not wanting to be in Buffalo, have we been getting the most for that $7 mill a year contract? I think not.

Yes, clearly Vanek wanted out and not just a bigger check and it's soooooooo obvious he wants out of buffalo.

I can't log on NHL.com, twitter, this website without hearing Vanek demanding a trade because of lindy ruff. I was so shocked to hear after the locker room clean out Vanek shouting $&@& Buffalo at the top of his

Lungs.

In all seriousness Vanek like weber wanted a bigger payday but was glad Buffalo kept him.

Right now I like the idea of signing Voracek out from under Philly better.

I wasn't going to even mention this because I know how sensitive some people are around here about the topic, but, if Flyers sign Weber, they'll def be a second trade they'll need to make to give themselves some breathing room. I'm sure they will want to keep Voracek who's only 22 years old. Giroux and Schenn become RFA in two seasons. Point i'm making is, Voracek isn't important here, but, the Flyers will be looking to get rid of Danny Briere.... and we all know how much Pegula loves the old Sabres.

I wasn't going to even mention this because I know how sensitive some people are around here about the topic, but, if Flyers sign Weber, they'll def be a second trade they'll need to make to give themselves some breathing room. I'm sure they will want to keep Voracek who's only 22 years old. Giroux and Schenn become RFA in two seasons. Point i'm making is, Voracek isn't important here, but, the Flyers will be looking to get rid of Danny Briere.... and we all know how much Pegula loves the old Sabres.

please no, don't do it... not this can of worms... :bag:

You need to go back in time and read and hear some quotes from TV. He wanted to stay and was ecstatic that the Sabres wanted to keep him.

What else is he going to say? Vanek was looking for a big payday and was willing to to say screw Buffalo to get it. Anything said after the fact is just noise and is completely meaningless.

Pronger going on LTIR will give them that room.

I remember this clearly as well. I got the impression he didn't want to go to Edmonton. I've always liked Vanek as a Sabre, he plays hard is our most dangerous weapon. He gives it all and while not clear C quality I'd hate to lose him. given a proper C (maybe Hodgson) he could be so much more dangerous than he has been.

What else is he going to say? Vanek was looking for a big payday and was willing to to say screw Buffalo to get it. Anything said after the fact is just noise and is completely meaningless.

When the Sabres sign the guy, it's because he screwed Buffalo.

When the Sabres don't sign the guy, it's because he was smart enough to take the money in Philly or New York.

Do you see everything through the grey lenses of misery?

When the Sabres don't sign the guy, it's because he was smart enough to take the money in Philly or New York.

His more British than I am.

If Vanek was even considering the frozen wasteland that is Edmonton, (and that team was terrible at the time) to me he was seriously considering an out. I don't believe anything I read and less of what I hear, I just believe in action. So I can't believe his quotes because his agent tells him what to say in many cases. I understand there are opinions here but I do think there are some organization shills mixed in on this board.

If Vanek was even considering the frozen wasteland that is Edmonton, (and that team was terrible at the time) to me he was seriously considering an out. I don't believe anything I read and less of what I hear, I just believe in action. So I can't believe his quotes because his agent tells him what to say in many cases. I understand there are opinions here but I do think there are some organization shills mixed in on this board.

My 2 cents on the Vanek offer sheet: he may or may not have been happy with Lindy, but I would guess his signing the offer sheet was 99% about securing a huge payday and 1% about everything else. His agent knew that $50MM was probably 3x what he could have expected to have gotten from the Sabres at that point.

I hate wading into subjects where we are discussing what other people's motivations are. But yet I frequently wade in anyway. :P :doh:

We can't know what Vanek's motivation was. We don't know if he was actively entertaining offer sheets or if he was tossed "an offer he can't refuse" by Edmonton. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the negotiations with the Sabres were for deals that were half as long and half as lucrative as the one Edmonton offered.

I hate wading into subjects where we are discussing what other people's motivations are. But yet I frequently wade in anyway. :P :doh:

We can't know what Vanek's motivation was. We don't know if he was actively entertaining offer sheets or if he was tossed "an offer he can't refuse" by Edmonton. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the negotiations with the Sabres were for deals that were half as long and half as lucrative as the one Edmonton offered.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that, since he had a sports agent, he was actively entertaining offer sheets. Remember, if he doubles his income, so does his agent.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that, since he had a sports agent, he was actively entertaining offer sheets. Remember, if he doubles his income, so does his agent.

Maybe I worded it poorly. What I was trying to convey was that there is just as much possibility that Vanek was not actively looking for offers from other teams as it is that he was actively looking for offers.

Yes, his agent may have been actively shopping. Or his agent may have been asked by Thomas to not shop for offers. It could very well be that Edm just plain got aggressive about getting Vanek and made an offer that surprised even Vanek.

Who knows what happened?

Maybe I worded it poorly. What I was trying to convey was that there is just as much possibility that Vanek was not actively looking for offers from other teams as it is that he was actively looking for offers.

Yes, his agent may have been actively shopping. Or his agent may have been asked by Thomas to not shop for offers. It could very well be that Edm just plain got aggressive about getting Vanek and made an offer that surprised even Vanek.

Who knows what happened?

I am of the opinion that a good agent SHOULD be shopping for offer sheets if they feel their client is under-valued by their current club. That is part of an agent's job IMHO. If the player doesn't want to sign it, he doesn't have to.

...no way Vanek was getting a long-term $7+ million contract from the Sabres without their hand being forced by way of the Oilers offer sheet. And, no way Shea would have gotten $110 million from the Preds without the Flyers offer sheet.

I agree that we'll never know the truth of the Vanek situation, but clearly Vanek's agent must have known he had negotiating power given Drury/Briere.

I am of the opinion that a good agent SHOULD be shopping for offer sheets if they feel their client is under-valued by their current club. That is part of an agent's job IMHO. If the player doesn't want to sign it, he doesn't have to.

...no way Vanek was getting a long-term $7+ million contract from the Sabres without their hand being forced by way of the Oilers offer sheet. And, no way Shea would have gotten $110 million from the Preds without the Flyers offer sheet.

I agree that we'll never know the truth of the Vanek situation, but clearly Vanek's agent must have known he had negotiating power given Drury/Briere.

Yeah, they could have been shopping for offer sheets not because he wanted to leave, but because he wanted to force a higher contract offer.

Who knows what happened?

What happened is he himself (no one else) SIGNED an offer sheet from a different team after the Sabres lost their two biggest stars. This indicates that he was willing to entertain the thought of going to a different organization, one that was in the dumps.

What happened is he himself (no one else) SIGNED an offer sheet from a different team after the Sabres lost their two biggest stars. This indicates that he was willing to entertain the thought of going to a different organization, one that was in the dumps.

Willing to go to another organization and desperately wanting out of Buffalo are NOT the same thing. I really don't think this is very complicated: he wanted a whole bunch of money, and was offered a contract probably 2-3 times what Buffalo was offering. By your logic, unless he turned down that much money, he wanted out of Buffalo. Occam's razor: he (and his agent) were maximizing his value.

This really should be that difficult for you to understand. You have really been off your game lately.

No one is blaming Vanek for taking the money. Let's just not pretend that Vanek didn't want to leave Buffalo for the money and was willing to leave the Sabres in a bad spot considering what else happened that summer.

Archived