Shea Weber: Predators match offer sheet from Flyers

Redemption City

I know better than to question your hockey / CBA knowledge, but is that even possible? Not really questioning you, but I don't know ... my knowledge of all this stuff is very limited.

If so, if I were Nashville, I would give that a try. Maybe something like that is in the works. I posted a tweet by Dreger that said that Nashville tried to work out a trade after they received the offer sheet. That tweet seemed to imply that they had limited time to work out a trade and that time has since passed.

Nashville would get the picks, and then trade the picks back to Philly for players.

via twitter it happened previously with Shayne Corson as well as Gratton.

Must be nice to see your team captain sign an offer sheet with another team. Nothing says, "I love playing here" more than that. Nice leadership.

GO SABRES!!!

Would you turn down that type of money if someone offered it to you? Basically securing the future of your family for several generations.

Wouldn't make a difference. They're separate legal exchanges.

Yeah, the Preds' GM walks in with two sheets of paper: one that he will sign to officially turn down the option to match, giving them the Flyers' four first-round picks as compensation, and another that is a trade of those four first-round picks for the Flyers' players that they agree to trade. Both get signed and the two GMs fax the sheets to the NHL. Technically, the one to turn down matching would have to be sent first.

But what's to stop Nashville--- or any other team--- from offer sheeting ... Giroux ... the year after?

:w00t:

Any thoughts to this:

Nashville tells Flyers they won't match the offer sheet and let Weber go, if they get some Flyers players instead of in exchange for the draft picks.

It is possible. It's happened before. see: Chris Gratton
Wouldn't make a difference. They're separate legal exchanges.

Yeah, the Preds' GM walks in with two sheets of paper: one that he will sign to officially turn down the option to match, giving them the Flyers' four first-round picks as compensation, and another that is a trade of those four first-round picks for the Flyers' players that they agree to trade. Both get signed and the two GMs fax the sheets to the NHL. Technically, the one to turn down matching would have to be sent first.

well done, and thanks. i was scrunching up my eyes, though, at the bolded piece above -- as tweaked, i think that's 100% correct.

Here is a very interesting take from the Preds "insider chat," which is going on right now via the Tennessean newspaper website:

"...Holmgren (Flyers GM) and Poile have done many a deals together. They're practically on speed dial. There's another theory that this was Holmgren his old friend Poile a favor."

The offer sheet essentially forces Shea into a long-term deal with the Predators... which Shea might not have wanted.

Here is a very interesting take from the Preds "insider chat," which is going on right now via the Tennessean newspaper website:

"...Holmgren (Flyers GM) and Poile have done many a deals together. They're practically on speed dial. There's another theory that this was Holmgren his old friend Poile a favor."

The offer sheet essentially forces Shea into a long-term deal with the Predators... which Shea might not have wanted.

This is exactly what I thought with the Cap number so low, and the cost likely going down after the new CBA is negotiated. Shea was going to cost them at least $7.5M next season, so this isn't much higher than that, and by the time he's 35, and potentially declining, $7.8M will be cheap.

If true, isn't this a huge CBA violation?

This is exactly what I thought with the Cap number so low, and the cost likely going down after the new CBA is negotiated. Shea was going to cost them at least $7.5M next season, so this isn't much higher than that, and by the time he's 35, and potentially declining, $7.8M will be cheap.

It is not clear how the Preds would get to the cap floor without signing Weber. ...and from the Flyers perspective, the offer sheet keeps Weber away from places like New York and Pittsburgh (at least in the short-term).

Yes, Myers may turn out to be a smooth skating Pronger, but Shea Weber's worst case scenario is that he's Shea Weber. Guy is elite, and is much better than Myers at this point. I just think it's a little crazy to prefer unrealized potential over a proven commodity like him. If he was a tier below talent wise or older then sure, I could see the argument.

Weber is 5 years older than Myers. The issue is not would you trade Myers for Weber, because that is a definite yes, the problem is your adding a ton more crap to Myers to get in the ballpark and I have no desire to gut our offensive talent to get an elite defensmen.

After seeing the contract I think that the new CBA should limit contracts to 9 years max. The last 3 years of that deal are only there to lower the cap hit and nothing else. Nashville has some thinking to do and if they could more than picks out of Philly it would be good for them.

Weber is 5 years older than Myers. The issue is not would you trade Myers for Weber, because that is a definite yes, the problem is your adding a ton more crap to Myers to get in the ballpark and I have no desire to gut our offensive talent to get an elite defensmen.

After seeing the contract I think that the new CBA should limit contracts to 9 years max. The last 3 years of that deal are only there to lower the cap hit and nothing else. Nashville has some thinking to do and if they could more than picks out of Philly it would be good for them.

They should limit contract length as well as limit signing bonuses. Maybe two times the salary max.

Nashville looks kinda screwed right now. Rinne is shiting his pants. No way he signs knowing his defenseman are gone. I bet they feel a bit like the Sabres did back in the day.

Weber a few weeks ago was talking with the Flyers, touring their facilities and such. Nashville knew he didn't want to play for them. Preds GM just didn't get a trade done

They should limit contract length as well as limit signing bonuses. Maybe two times the salary max.

Nashville looks kinda screwed right now. Rinne is shiting his pants. No way he signs knowing his defenseman are gone. I bet they feel a bit like the Sabres did back in the day.

Weber a few weeks ago was talking with the Flyers, touring their facilities and such. Nashville knew he didn't want to play for them. Preds GM just didn't get a trade done

If I were Darcy I would be talking to them about what type of guys we could send them to get them to the floor and pick up a pick or two.

Say we sign Doan....that gets you near the cap. Could we send Stafford, Lieno and Sekera there for a few #1's.....then take those picks, add our #1's the next 2 years and send McNabb over for Nash? I mean...it doesn't have to be for Nash....and don't hold me to the specifics.....but you can dump salary, and make a play on a superstar to take a run at this the next few years. Nashville needs NHL bodies and we need upside assets to move for a Nash/Ryan/Stastny along with cap space.

Nashville still has a week to work out a "Weber" trade.....it just will be the picks moving for players.

If I were Darcy I would be talking to them about what type of guys we could send them to get them to the floor and pick up a pick or two.

Say we sign Doan....that gets you near the cap. Could we send Stafford, Lieno and Sekera there for a few #1's.....then take those picks, add our #1's the next 2 years and send McNabb over for Nash? I mean...it doesn't have to be for Nash....and don't hold me to the specifics.....but you can dump salary, and make a play on a superstar to take a run at this the next few years. Nashville needs NHL bodies and we need upside assets to move for a Nash/Ryan/Stastny along with cap space.

Nashville still has a week to work out a "Weber" trade.....it just will be the picks moving for players.

All salary dumps will come after the new CBA is signed and after Thomas is moved.

Preds would only have Josi, Ellis, Klein, and Hal Gill left on defense if they let Weber go for the four 1st round picks. They lost Francis Boullion (and of course Suter) already this summer. They'd be woefully inexperienced on the back-end, with only Gill and Klein as true veterans. They would certainly have to trade to get a couple of new d-men, at least one of whom would need to be an established veteran.

Think we could get a first round pick or more back for a guy like Leo or Sekera?

Preds would only have Josi, Ellis, Klein, and Hal Gill left on defense if they let Weber go for the four 1st round picks. They lost Francis Boullion (and of course Suter) already this summer. They'd be woefully inexperienced on the back-end, with only Gill and Klein as true veterans. They would certainly have to trade to get a couple of new d-men, at least one of whom would need to be an established veteran.

Think we could get a first round pick or more back for a guy like Leo or Sekera?

Trade them our weber, the fans would appreciate not having the get new names on their #6 jerseys...

Trade them our weber, the fans would appreciate not having the get new names on their #6 jerseys...

Good thinking! ...I'm pissed because I have a Suter Preds jersey that will now have to go in my closet of "no longer with the team" jerseys. :P

Archived