Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

I like this. That would be an effective line fer shure. Of course, I think Pommers' numbers might go down. Tough choice here, because Pominville is as valuable on a scoring line as he is on a shut-down line.

Last season pommer showed a growing propensity to will the puck into the net. More than once, whether in regulation or shootout, he scored a goal to A) tie the game up B) shift momentum back to the Sabres or C) extend the shootout. He might drop to 25 goals. But we will neutralize almost any big line in the conference whether its the Staal-Staal line in Carolina or the potential Crosby-Neal-Parise line in Pitt. As good as those guys are, they won't run over that line.

Last season pommer showed a growing propensity to will the puck into the net. More than once, whether in regulation or shootout, he scored a goal to A) tie the game up B) shift momentum back to the Sabres or C) extend the shootout. He might drop to 25 goals. But we will neutralize almost any big line in the conference whether its the Staal-Staal line in Carolina or the potential Crosby-Neal-Parise line in Pitt. As good as those guys are, they won't run over that line.

Unfortunately if Parise signs in Pittsburgh you'd have to pick your poison...match up our shut down line against Crosby-Parise or against Malkin-Neal. I doubt they put their 2 best wingers on one line and screw over their other star center.

You know who I think benefits the most from this trade?

Drew Stafford.

Ott should have a heck of an influence on this team, Drew especially. If he and Staff can become buds, I don't think you'll ever see Drew take another night off.

Attitude can be infectious.

I would imagine that after the draw, Leino would shift into center. There was a lot of talk here last year that he did something similar with Philly.
I'll take Ott in the middle for draws, then shifting left and giving leino Centerman d-zone responsibilities. ... Leino's problem as a center was that he was terrible at draws, and thus, his line never had the puck, which really hurts a puck control forward.

i don't recall having heard either of the items bolded above. doesn't mean they're not true; i just don't recall hearing them. links?

my sense with leino's problem at center was that his game was suffering as a result of the ice-coverage that lindy requires of his pivots and the centerman's responsibility for leading the attack into the opponent's zone.*** not true? was it simply a matter of leino's inability to win faceoffs?

*** with respect to lugging the mail and dishing/dumping near the opponent's blue line, i recall an extended period of time when myers was acting as a center when he was on the ice; this was to compensate for the lack of a true center on the ice at that time. i can't recall whether this was going on during his rookie year or last year, or both.

i don't recall having heard either of the items bolded above. doesn't mean they're not true; i just don't recall hearing them. links?

my sense with leino's problem at center was that his game was suffering as a result of the ice-coverage that lindy requires of his pivots and the centerman's responsibility for leading the attack into the opponent's zone.*** not true? was it simply a matter of leino's inability to win faceoffs?

*** with respect to lugging the mail and dishing/dumping near the opponent's blue line, i recall an extended period of time when myers was acting as a center when he was on the ice; this was to compensate for the lack of a true center on the ice at that time. i can't recall whether this was going on during his rookie year or last year, or both.

That he was terrible at draws is true. That his failures at the dot were a problem for him at center is my analysis. Like Ennis, he likes to skate with the puck, but when the other team gains possession right off the draw a majority of the time, it's hard for him to play his game. His only complaint about playing center that he spoke about with the press was the defensive responsibilities, but I kind of chalk that up to adjusting to the change after coming from Philly where the forwards clearly have NO defensive zone responsibilities.

Ott should have a heck of an influence on this team, Drew especially. If he and Staff can become buds, I don't think you'll ever see Drew take another night off.

Attitude can be infectious.

This seems to be the prevailing thought, and honestly, I don't get it. We already had a bunch of guys that didn't take nights off. McCormick, Kaleta, Gerbe, Gaustad (he may not have been a goon, but I don't remember ever seeing a lack of effort from him.) I'm not trying to be combative, just trying to figure out what makes Ott different from these guys?

This seems to be the prevailing thought, and honestly, I don't get it. We already had a bunch of guys that didn't take nights off. McCormick, Kaleta, Gerbe, Gaustad (he may not have been a goon, but I don't remember ever seeing a lack of effort from him.) I'm not trying to be combative, just trying to figure out what makes Ott different from these guys?

He outhit the four you mention...combined...He's also good at hockey.

He had the same number of points as the three that you mention that remain on the Sabres...combined...

The difference between the players you named and Ott is that Ott's a leader.

None of them are top line players, for one thing. For another, they're all members of our system (McCormick being the exception). Additionally, McCormick is not a real roster player and spent most of the season hurt with Kaleta. Gerbe is effort, but not in a way that Stafford can relate to. And Goose was a lazy pussbag. Dude lost the fire a long time ago.

Moving a lazy friend/core member like Roy out for a guy like Ott who will never take a game off and can lead by example goes a long way. Ennis and Foligno helped, but it was a little too late in the season there. Ott should be a guy that Stafford can look up to.

He'll score 15-20 more points than any of those guys. Plus played on the PK and PP for Dallas. He gives you that from a guy who will be more than a role player.

Paul Gaustad is Ambien on skates. Gerbe is scrappy but doesn't intimidate anyone. Kaleta brings maybe half of what Ott brings but can't stay healthy. McCormick is a strict 4th liner (even if he's a very good one to have).

Ott is a leader. He'll put up more points than those guys. He'll hit more than those guys. And he'll hit way harder than those guys.

There's also this: "Ott really has given a lot to the Stars and loved every minute with the team, but he strikes you as a Northeast Division type player. It visibly bothered him to be playing in front of empty arenas in Dallas or Phoenix or Anaheim. He clearly was a better player when he was sucked into the game by the crowd _ at home or on the road. And now he will be playing in Buffalo and Montreal and Toronto and Ottawa and Boston. He will be facing the Bruins six times a year. He will be around the TSN microphones almost every day. It is the perfect place for a guy who is engaging and entertaining"

http://starsblog.dal...n-buffalo.html/

I think sometimes we forget how much players in non-hockey markets really want to come to hockey markets.

Brilliant.

Gerbe
NOOOOOO!!!

ahh ###### pandoras box just got reopened....

:o *ducking for cover*

reminds me of an old principle of comedy that i heard mel brooks describe in an interview: a good joke or bit can be funny the first several times it's told or used ... and then it's not funny for the next ~100 tellings/uses ... and then, upon that 101st telling/use, it is HILARIOUS.

reminds me of an old principle of comedy that i heard mel brooks describe in an interview: a good joke or bit can be funny the first several times it's told or used ... and then it's not funny for the next ~1000 tellings/uses ... and then, upon that 1001st telling/use, it is HILARIOUS.

Fixed it for you. And if the corrected version is correct, it should be funny in about 18 more tellings. Though I think reading the paper the next day after Shrader's gone postal as that 1,001st reading was 1 too many for him will be the truly hilarious part. ;)

One downside to this trade...our economy will take a hit in the nightclub business.

Can Darcy do no right?

First he is neglecting the Americks and their roster

Now he is not thinking about the local economy and the nightclubs?

How much more does TP need to see before he fires him!

Can Darcy do no right?

First he is neglecting the Americks and their roster

Now he is not thinking about the local economy and the nightclubs?

How much more does TP need to see before he fires him!

Hey, no one said losing Roy wasn't without its consequences!

So what we are saying here is that Pommer moves to the third line.. I don't think so. I think you put Pommer on the line with Vanek and Hodgson. Your third line is Leino, Ott and another center, that I like. The Pommer idea is interesting if, but I don't like unless they find another center. If one of the rookies can give some good minutes then maybe this works long run.

P.S. How do I turn off auto correct?

Looking around the league at fan opinions, all I'm seeing is two camps chirping about this:

1) Western Conference fans that are glad Ott's leaving the conference.

2) Toronto and Ottawa fans lamenting about Ott coming into the division. (Leafs fans are especially pissed at Burke for not acquiring Roy in exchange for "a grinder and a D.")

Archived