Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

I appreciate you weighing in on a long-simmering dispute I've had with carp over this very nuanced point.

I believe that it's the center's line, so he should be named first.

I don't believe Carp has any kind of intellectual justification other than slavish devotion to the symmetry of left-center-right.

Even on the glorious day when we ship out the head of the SGMs, you can see I'm still bittter about the taxonomy some are inflicting on this board.

Hull-Wolford-Ritcher-Davis-Ballard???

Makes me wonder if C-Bus' plan all along was to unite the Folignos. God I hope not.

Best not be but I had the same thought today when the Sabres Store called me to tell me my new pro weight Foligno jersey is at the store :ph34r:

The jersey was ordered on draft night at the arena so I'm sure there will be plenty of pissed off people if that happened.

I watched this on YouTube and got excited this is what Buffalo got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go9WRXzEscI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ott is going to be fun to watch what do you guys think?

For those of you who are interested, the whole learning things in other languages to piss off foreign players story is around the 50 second mark.

Don't forget the K. That is a possibility, too, rather unfortunately.

Which adds to the likelihood that they give him every opportunity to win a job on the big club even if it means letting him play some wing.

And whether he's playing C or W, he'll still pretty much play the same position on the offensive end of the ice. With the weaving and cycling, it's not like he'll be pinned to the boards at W but free to roam at C and vice versa.

But, if he's playing W, he's got a significantly easier task learning how to play in his own end than he does at C. Had he come from the O, the WHL, or even the KHL, I'd expect they'd be more willing to start him at C, but they don't play anything close to Lindy Ruff's backchecking system in the Q. (Not sure they even have a French word that isn't a swear word for backchecking there.)

are you joking ? what planet are you on? the Sabres have desperately needed to change their soft identity and EVERYONE in the NHL knows it. We have become "the team that was easy to play against". I don't care if we are giving up Roy's points, getting Ott is a step in that change of identity

also, we just saved even more cap space and have way too many d men so a top 6 winger must be coming to buffalo. or at least i think it is. and this will get us more scoring while adding the better compete element from ott. winners.

Considering how pussified the Sabres were when Lucic nailed Miller, and the team did absolutely nothing in return, I'd say between the Scott signing & the trade for Ott that the Sabres got a lot bigger and tougher. If anyone takes a run at Miller, or any other smaller skilled players, they'll think twice about it, because the Sabres now have 2 big enforcers on the team.

that might work.

darcy was quoted from his presser as saying that another deal was quite possible, but that things would have to "free up." a logical inference there is that parise needs to make up his mind and let the rest of the market sort itself out.

I instead immediately thought of Doan, who is waiting for the Yotes ownership stuff to settle.

Yes because we gave up a soft, lazy, whiney, diving Sausage grabber and got a rugged, fiesty, ahole who'll chip in offensively.

lol exactly.

And I think the Sabres got a heck of a player in Adam Pardy too. I think he can shine on our team, he's had flashes of brilliance in the past, and it does take stay at home defensmen a bit longer to develop then others, as it is a more of a game of positioning then skill level. Kinda reminds me of Jay McKee. If he's anywhere near McKee, he'll not only be a regular in the lineup, but also a fan favorite here.

So the story I'm piecing together is that Roy and Ott were shopped around before the trade deadline, and both Buffalo and Dallas may have realized that there was a potential trade there. I'm guessing that DR may have waited on pulling the trigger for one or more of three reasons:

1) We could've made the playoffs

2) Nobody knew what the draft would bring in

3) The asking price for Ott may have been high (some speculated we'd have to send Roy + Tropp or Adam for Ott alone)

Then Ennis emerges as a center, DR drafts 5 more centers, including one (maybe two?) that could play next year, and Dallas ships Ribiero (increasing their need for an offensive center). So the playoff need vanishes, the draft and Ennis make our center position a little more stable, and Dallas maybe drops the price on Ott/Darcy raises the price on Roy.

Roy + Adam for Ott maybe turns into Roy for Ott + Pardy.

Cool Hand Darcy.

I think sabres staff are counting on both our 1st rounders to be NHL ready,

wouldn't be surprised if they traded pardy away again though, or another defensman for Foligno with CBJ.

Vanek - grigorenko - Hodgon

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Ott - girgensons - Pominville

Scott - Gerbe - Mcormick/kaleta.

Would leave Leino expendable, maybe CBJ will take on his contract, or any other team below capfloor :D

What surprised me about this trade was that Porzine (the Dallas beat writer) kept saying that Niewendyk wanted a young center in exchange for Ott. I had previously assumed that if Darcy was interested he would have offered up Roy, since he's been shopping him for a while now.

Something must have changed for this to happen...perhaps Riberio leaving.

I'm not too sure the Sabres wouldn't trade Foligno + others if it meant getting Nash. I think they're in the hunt for him. Cap space could be an issue though. The Ryan deal seems out of range since they are set on D and want forwards in return.

Funny, everyone wants roy off the team during the season, complains about the teams toughness, they finally get both and they're not happy with it? No Ott won't put up the point totals that Roy will, theoretically anyway. But he does make us a tougher team to play against. Ott is in the top five hits every year in the league, he's a respected leader and passionate about doing whatever it takes to win. I for one, love this trade, and with some additional cap space would kindly hope that Darcy isn't done.

There's also this: "Ott really has given a lot to the Stars and loved every minute with the team, but he strikes you as a Northeast Division type player. It visibly bothered him to be playing in front of empty arenas in Dallas or Phoenix or Anaheim. He clearly was a better player when he was sucked into the game by the crowd _ at home or on the road. And now he will be playing in Buffalo and Montreal and Toronto and Ottawa and Boston. He will be facing the Bruins six times a year. He will be around the TSN microphones almost every day. It is the perfect place for a guy who is engaging and entertaining"

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/steve-ott-is-sad-to-leave-stars-but-should-be-a-perfect-fit-in-buffalo.html/

I think sometimes we forget how much players in non-hockey markets really want to come to hockey markets.

In all fairness to all my fellow Stars fans, we have been a hockey town since 1993. Tom Hicks, our previous owner, really ruined what was quite a good team for many years. Since Galardi was officially announced as our new owner, the seats started filling up again..

Is Gerbe stickhandler that Ennis is?

I don't think Gerbe has quite the wheels, hands, or vision that Ennis has.

There's also this: "Ott really has given a lot to the Stars and loved every minute with the team, but he strikes you as a Northeast Division type player. It visibly bothered him to be playing in front of empty arenas in Dallas or Phoenix or Anaheim. He clearly was a better player when he was sucked into the game by the crowd _ at home or on the road. And now he will be playing in Buffalo and Montreal and Toronto and Ottawa and Boston. He will be facing the Bruins six times a year. He will be around the TSN microphones almost every day. It is the perfect place for a guy who is engaging and entertaining"

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/07/steve-ott-is-sad-to-leave-stars-but-should-be-a-perfect-fit-in-buffalo.html/

I think sometimes we forget how much players in non-hockey markets really want to come to hockey markets.

And, God willing, we won't hear Ott pulling a Leino and mentioning how quiet our building is.

Archived