Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

It was clear it was time for Roy to go, but Dallas is the winner in this trade. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roy score 25-30 goals in Dallas next year. The Sabres needed to clear some dead weight, but they traded a top six forward with scoring ability for a bottom six forward. Ott is clearly tougher and that is a big plus.

Reading through this thread it's a lot about stats.... the one thing I think this does give us is a veteran who plays the game hard, never cheats on a shift, and sets an example for others to follow. The guy bangs bodies, this is something we talked about lacking so much of last season.

His family is in Windsor. He seems really excited about the fact that he'll have them so close. He calls Buffalo a "Real Hockey City". That's some good praise.. and he's heard positive stuff from Weber. That's good to hear from a guy who probably believes he should be in the lineup but hasn't made it yet. He still says good things about Buffalo.

This is not about statistics. This is about having the guy who will get around the ice and do the little things that keep the other team on their heels. I really like this trade. The Sabres don't need Roy's offense. I know it seems like they are strapped for goals but that comes when you have to spread your smaller/skill players across 3 lines. This is no longer the case. Putting Pardy into the AHL would not be a big deal for the Sabres but it still seems as though they are going to be moving some defensemen.

Back when the Ryan deal seemed more certain (in the offseason) I floated the idea once that Anaheim might be willing to take Leino off our hands. If he's paired up with his hero Selanne, Koivu, Lydman, and Hagman he might be very motivated. That's 5 Finnish players... ya never know. Sure Hagman is a UFA.. but he could re-sign.

Anyway.. I like this deal. I think Roy's time as a Sabre had come and rather than pay him one more year like they did with Connolly they shipped him out. I wouldn't be surprised if Vanek was moved either. Right now, I don't think anything would surprise me..

Like the trade!

Roy - could not stand watching him.....addition by subtraction IMHO.

Ott - brings character to a team sorely in need of a backbone. Hopefully sends a message to the other guys who usually turn away from checks vs. initiating them.

Pardy - who knows yet...but like the size. Time will tell if this is another "throw-in" that can actually pan out into something worthwhile.

...but it improves sack. That's worth a lot more than points in my book.

Agreed. I don't know what the future holds for the top six and our goals-for, but I know this: The Buffalo Sabres just got a lot ###### harder to play against. Our bottom six could end up being monstrously nasty. Looking at the player usage charts, Ott appears to be a good two-way forward that plays a great puck possession game. I feel he'll fit in well in Ruff's two-way system.

Why is Gerbe saying the lockeroom cancer was a good teammate? Does he know nothing?

Because Nathan Gerbe is a class act. I thank Roy for his years of service, it was almost always fun to watch him. I genuinely wish him well in the future, and hope to see him residing in Buffalo and playing in Sabre alumni games when he retires.

Like I said above, the bottom six is looking good. I'm anxious to see what's going on up front, now that we have a larger hole at center.

EDIT: Also, bonus points go to DR for not holding onto Roy so long that we rip our ###### eyeballs out everytime he's on the ice (see: Tim Connolly). Timely execution.

Agreed. I don't know what the future holds for the top six and our goals-for, but I know this: The Buffalo Sabres just got a lot ###### harder to play against. Our bottom six could end up being monstrously nasty. Looking at the player usage charts, Ott appears to be a good two-way forward that plays a great puck possession game. I feel he'll fit in well in Ruff's two-way system.

Because Nathan Gerbe is a class act. I thank Roy for his years of service, it was almost always fun to watch him. I genuinely wish him well in the future, and hope to see him residing in Buffalo and playing in Sabre alumni games when he retires.

Like I said above, the bottom six is looking good. I'm anxious to see what's going on up front, now that we have a larger hole at center.

? Hodgson and Ennis... done. Bring in Arnott (3rd line center) and McKormick fills out your bottom one.

It was clear it was time for Roy to go, but Dallas is the winner in this trade. I wouldn't be surprised to see Roy score 25-30 goals in Dallas next year. The Sabres needed to clear some dead weight, but they traded a top six forward with scoring ability for a bottom six forward. Ott is clearly tougher and that is a big plus.

If Derek Roy is one of your top six forwards, you probably aren't winning anything. Or were the last five years not enough evidence of that?

Sabres are a much different team with Ott in the lineup instead of Roy. 200+ hits each of the last three years and absolutely fearless. If you look at what Foligno did to bring Stafford and Ennis back to life last year, you can imagine how useful Ott could be on a line with Vanek and Hodgson.

may be a little while (days?) but yea something else is going to drop and I don't think Stafford survives it.

Please, please, please let it be so!

I could see Stafford and McNabb for Ryan. Not thrilled but I can live with it.

That's the "breathe deeply" point that Aud or Carp or someone mentioned earlier somewhere else. That would be a good trade. Solid.

Still need a center if Ott's not playing there.

may be a little while (days?) but yea something else is going to drop and I don't think Stafford survives it.

Oh, that would be delightful.

Please, please, please let it be so!

That's the "breathe deeply" point that Aud or Carp or someone mentioned earlier somewhere else. That would be a good trade. Solid.

Still need a center if Ott's not playing there.

If Grigorenko makes it, do you think they put him at wing his first year to ease his transition to the NHL?

This will really solve our offensive woes........... :doh:

This will really solve our offensive woes........... :doh:

I think they Are adding toughness so as to show the free agents that it's safe to play here and the miller/lucid incident is a thing of the past, look for further moves soon

Oh, that would be delightful.

If Grigorenko makes it, do you think they put him at wing his first year to ease his transition to the NHL?

Actually, no. We've seen Ruff do that with smaller centers (Roy, Ennis), but not with bigger ones (Gaustad, Adam). I think if he makes the team, he is in the middle.

Actually, no. We've seen Ruff do that with smaller centers (Roy, Ennis), but not with bigger ones (Gaustad, Adam). I think if he makes the team, he is in the middle.

Grigorenko's game is probably closer to Roy/Ennis though, despite his size.

The Grigorenko factor really scrambles things up. I wonder if the Sabres are making moves assuming he doesn't transition to the NHL now or assuming that he does play in the NHL this season.

Something is coming, you can just feel it....

Darcy sure sounded that way, innit?

anyone else notice we have traded 2 of our assistant captains in the last few months?

Last year Lindy gave the "core" the leadership of the team. Listen to the speech he gave, it was almost begrudging. Basically, they wanted it, so here it is, now it's up to them to show that they can lead the team. Two of them, and more to the point: two of the "core", have been traded away. Add those to not re-signing Connolly and you are really starting to get actual change, not just redressing the same old pig.

Indeed, and about GD time. I would have no problem at all if another one was shipped out.

I could see Stafford and McNabb for Ryan. Not thrilled but I can live with it.

I could live with this deal too. It's also not impossible that Stafford and McNabb could be major components in a deal for Nash.

darcy was quoted from his presser as saying that another deal was quite possible, but that things would have to "free up." a logical inference there is that parise needs to make up his mind and let the rest of the market sort itself out.

it remains unclear to me, though, that we would be pursuing ryan. after ott was acquired, vogl sourced the team as pursuing a(nother) center (see below), with the idea that ott would be free to play the wing (?).

https://twitter.com/...927879776088065

It sounded to me from the presser (which everyone here should listen to, IMHO) that DR has a number of irons in the fire and is looking to make another big move.

A few interesting bits from Darcy's presser:

He's been close to pulling the trigger on this one for some time (as someone up-thread speculated B-) )

He has offers in to free agents and is waiting for a response (which I am going to take as the closest thing we've seen anywhere to acknowledgement that the Sabres are in on Parise)

And though he says it's up to Lindy, he sees Ott as a winger first (which really changes my outlook on where they may go next. I thought this trade has closed the book on centre ice for next year. I like Ott as a number three centre, but he would look nice with Van and CoHo.)

Good post. I really hope you're right about Parise. "Acknowledgement" might be too optimistic of a term, but still. A number of teams were eliminated from consideration by Parise today, but if the Sabres are still in it as of DR's presser, they must have made a very strong offer.

Separately from the Parise pipe dream, I too was thinking about Ott being on with Hodgson and Vanek. It's quite possible -- Ott had more ice time last year than either of Vanek or Hodgson, and Ott has more offensive game than Tropp.

Statsny!

I'm in.

Grigorenko's game is probably closer to Roy/Ennis though, despite his size.

The Grigorenko factor really scrambles things up. I wonder if the Sabres are making moves assuming he doesn't transition to the NHL now or assuming that he does play in the NHL this season.

For the second part, is tough to tell right now, but if Grigs is on the team, I see him starting at C. If not, he's practicing that position elsewhere.

So, since it's been reported that we'd like to add another physical centerman, who is either available or could be acquired who would fit that role? Arnott's not really a physical guy, and I honestly don't know enough about the other UFAs to comment. My solution was to look at the teams in the mix for Nash and to see if there was a way to put a 3 team deal together to get us someone.

Since Nash has been linked to the Rangers repeatedly Brandon Dubinsky came to mind.

Rangers get Nash

Sabres get Dubinsky

C-Bus gets Del Zotto, Brennan, Foligno and a #1.

Flame away

Wouldn't trade Foligno for Dubinsky straight up.

So, since it's been reported that we'd like to add another physical centerman, who is either available or could be acquired who would fit that role? Arnott's not really a physical guy, and I honestly don't know enough about the other UFAs to comment. My solution was to look at the teams in the mix for Nash and to see if there was a way to put a 3 team deal together to get us someone.

Since Nash has been linked to the Rangers repeatedly Brandon Dubinsky came to mind.

Rangers get Nash

Sabres get Dubinsky

C-Bus gets Del Zotto, Brennan, Foligno and a #1.

Flame away

Whose first-rounder?

Ott is a top-6 forward. He plays quite a bit of 5-on-5, PP, and PK. Roy had 58 more seconds of ice time per game last year than Ott did (and both of them had more than 18 minutes).

Reading through this thread it's a lot about stats.... the one thing I think this does give us is a veteran who plays the game hard, never cheats on a shift, and sets an example for others to follow. The guy bangs bodies, this is something we talked about lacking so much of last season.

His family is in Windsor. He seems really excited about the fact that he'll have them so close. He calls Buffalo a "Real Hockey City". That's some good praise.. and he's heard positive stuff from Weber. That's good to hear from a guy who probably believes he should be in the lineup but hasn't made it yet. He still says good things about Buffalo.

This is not about statistics. This is about having the guy who will get around the ice and do the little things that keep the other team on their heels. I really like this trade. The Sabres don't need Roy's offense. I know it seems like they are strapped for goals but that comes when you have to spread your smaller/skill players across 3 lines. This is no longer the case. Putting Pardy into the AHL would not be a big deal for the Sabres but it still seems as though they are going to be moving some defensemen.

Back when the Ryan deal seemed more certain (in the offseason) I floated the idea once that Anaheim might be willing to take Leino off our hands. If he's paired up with his hero Selanne, Koivu, Lydman, and Hagman he might be very motivated. That's 5 Finnish players... ya never know. Sure Hagman is a UFA.. but he could re-sign.

Anyway.. I like this deal. I think Roy's time as a Sabre had come and rather than pay him one more year like they did with Connolly they shipped him out. I wouldn't be surprised if Vanek was moved either. Right now, I don't think anything would surprise me..

Great post, although I'd be shocked if Anaheim took Leino in trade for Ryan.

Like the trade!

Roy - could not stand watching him.....addition by subtraction IMHO.

Ott - brings character to a team sorely in need of a backbone. Hopefully sends a message to the other guys who usually turn away from checks vs. initiating them.

Pardy - who knows yet...but like the size. Time will tell if this is another "throw-in" that can actually pan out into something worthwhile.

EDIT: Also, bonus points go to DR for not holding onto Roy so long that we rip our ###### eyeballs out everytime he's on the ice (see: Tim Connolly). Timely execution.

If Derek Roy is one of your top six forwards, you probably aren't winning anything. Or were the last five years not enough evidence of that?

Sabres are a much different team with Ott in the lineup instead of Roy. 200+ hits each of the last three years and absolutely fearless. If you look at what Foligno did to bring Stafford and Ennis back to life last year, you can imagine how useful Ott could be on a line with Vanek and Hodgson.

I think they Are adding toughness so as to show the free agents that it's safe to play here and the miller/lucid incident is a thing of the past, look for further moves soon

Great stuff here boys.

time to change the avatar pic

Halle-freakin'-lujah!!

I figured it would probably take ours to get it done. Maybe there's another pick coming back to us if it feels light. I love Foligno but I couldn't find another forward they'd be interested in. It'd be tough to move Nash and only get defensemen back in the swap.

No, then. Not Brennan, Foligno, and a first for Dubinsky. And the deal looked a little tipped towards C-Bus no matter whose first, but if it's the Sabres', no.

Frankly, I'm throwing darts at the wall here so feel free to correct me or offer other suggestions.

I'm including Brennan because he either needs to get moved or to play. No Rochester for him this year or we will lose him for nothing. Other GMs know that as well so his value has to take a hit because of it.

Understood, and that's creative, but that's too much for Dubinsky. Take out Foligno or the first and it isn't so bad.

Roy speaks with Dallas:

http://dallasstarspr...oyaudio7212.m4a

Wow. He sounds like a fish out of water; like his world has been turned upside down. Good thing this trade happened early in the summer...I think it will help him correct some of the character issues. He may very well have a stellar season if the humility stick has hit as hard as it sounds in this interview.

Archived