Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

So, I've taken a few hours to digest the trade and everything. In a "side-by-side" comparison, I think Roy is worth much more than Ott -- but Buffalo's extreme need for a player like Ott and their insistence to move Roy helped balance things out. Happy to have Ott here, somewhat sad to see Roy go as I grew up both as a person and a hockey fan while watching him play.

here is a little blog post i wrote about him if you feel like reading: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=1485

To Roy: Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

I think Ott will thrive here, and hopefully make the building a little louder.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pom

Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Leino-Ott-Kaleta

Ellis-McCormick-Scott/Gerbe.

Thats how I see things having slept on it. Or if we can get rid of Leino put Ott on wing and put Grigs on 3rd line, occasionally elevating him to 1st/2nd for experience and depending on the inevitable injuries. I can't justify putting Leino on 4th tho, his just not that type of player.

EDIT: This kinda has left Leino as an odd man out, hasn't it?

I never wanted Roy out as much as others did. I was more about stafford geting the hell out. After sleeping on this trade I truly do like having Ott on this team especially with kaleta (at least I expect him to be ehre), I am still worried about scoring and we have lost quite a bit. I also wont be too thrilled when we see this ryan trade that i also expect to happen. I am thinking Adam, Pysyk, picks and some salary from somewhere. I am not too high on pysyk or adam any more but that is a good chunk of our prospects that I think will be very capable NHL players. I jjust dont wanna see foligno or mcnabb out of here.

Darcy says point blank: "We are certainly not moving Tyler or Cody" "Brayden can play in the American league and if he plays his way onto the team then we will go from there"

I have not read the whole thread yet, so I am unsure if this has been addressed yet, but ...

I'm wondering which Cody he was talking about in that quote? ...

... :ph34r: ...

As for this trade I don't see it as addition by subtraction, as some others do. Roy was an asset that did not fit into the future plans for the Sabres. Therefore, he was moved for another asset (2 actually, while I don't think Pardy really is part of the long-term plan) that does fit in those plans. I like this trade a lot.

I am also wondering about the transformation in DR. He loved "his" core. He built it. Now he has removed 3 of the 6 in about a year. I know that Stafford would be the seventh member of said core, but he came a little later than Connolly, Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Miller and Goose.

Did he really love this core? I do believe that to be the case, but I think that part of that was that the previous TG regime did not really care about winning. Now Pegula, Black ... do really seem to care about winning and DR now realizes that his core was not able to do it. Maybe he was helped to reach that conclusion by the new regime, but no matter. This is a huge change in DR's approach and I love it.

I have not read the whole thread yet, so I am unsure if this has been addressed yet, but ...

I'm wondering which Cody he was talking about in that quote? ...

... :ph34r: ...

As for this trade I don't see it as addition by subtraction, as some others do. Roy was an asset that did not fit into the future plans for the Sabres. Therefore, he was moved for another asset (2 actually, while I don't think Pardy really is part of the long-term plan) that does fit in those plans. I like this trade a lot.

I am also wondering about the transformation in DR. He loved "his" core. He built it. Now he has removed 3 of the 6 in about a year. I know that Stafford would be the seventh member of said core, but he came a little later than Connolly, Roy, Pominville, Vanek, Miller and Goose.

Did he really love this core? I do believe that to be the case, but I think that part of that was that the previous TG regime did not really care about winning. Now Pegula, Black ... do really seem to care about winning and DR now realizes that his core was not able to do it. Maybe he was helped to reach that conclusion by the new regime, but no matter. This is a huge change in DR's approach and I love it.

he meant hodgson without a doubt. Come on man

i watched the clip in the separate thread that was a stars-produced piece about ott's game (worth a view), which, in turn, linked me to a coach's corner piece that features ott at the very, very end (~6:58 mark)

prior to watching those 2 clips, i did not fully appreciate what a stinkin' SOB this guy is to play against. :w00t:

I was never a fan of Roy, he always looked like a weasel to me and it never surprised me when they would say he was a possible cancer in the lockerroom.

I'm glad he is gone cause i don't think he is one of those essential, hard to replace pieces. I was more willing to keep Stafford around because he showed signs of picking up his game with Ennis and Foligno then i was to keeping Roy.

not sure if this was mentioned....just read it on the tsn website "There are two players that have at least 75 goals and 700 penalty minutes in the last five seasons and Ott is one of them (Scott Hartnell is the other). Furthermore, in the last three seasons, Ott has won 56.2% of his faceoffs."

It is funny seeing the reaction to this deal with the posts below the TSN story. Many are saying that the Stars won this deal hands down and the Sabres were robbed. Leaving em to believe no one outside of Buffalo follows Sabres hockey. There were some saying that it was a good deal for both, Leafs fans crying that they can't believe Burke couldn't have made this deal to get a 1st line Centre like Roy (cause last years Centre pickup from the Sabres of Connolly wasn't enough? Lol), and some Canadians fans that think they have improved so much now that they might surpass Boston and Buffalo will fight the Leafs for last in the division.

It is funny seeing the reaction to this deal with the posts below the TSN story. Many are saying that the Stars won this deal hands down and the Sabres were robbed. Leaving em to believe no one outside of Buffalo follows Sabres hockey. There were some saying that it was a good deal for both, Leafs fans crying that they can't believe Burke couldn't have made this deal to get a 1st line Centre like Roy (cause last years Centre pickup from the Sabres of Connolly wasn't enough? Lol), and some Canadians fans that think they have improved so much now that they might surpass Boston and Buffalo will fight the Leafs for last in the division.

Roy is not as reviled across the continent as he is here, and a lot of non-Sabres fans would be unaware of some of the things that many Sabres fans perceive as flaws.

Roy is not as reviled across the continent as he is here, and a lot of non-Sabres fans would be unaware of some of the things that many Sabres fans perceive as flaws.

Fortunately for us, Timmy C has proved us right. We have a good eye for bums here. It's probably a result of the plethora of bums we have had around us.

Did I miss something?

Isn't there a small list of teams Nash approved a trade to?

As has been said in other threads, and confirmed by a few reporters, just because we weren't on the list initially, doesn't mean we won't force our way on. The longer this takes, the better our chances.

I think sabres staff are counting on both our 1st rounders to be NHL ready,

wouldn't be surprised if they traded pardy away again though, or another defensman for Foligno with CBJ.

Vanek - grigorenko - Hodgon

Foligno - Ennis - Stafford

Ott - girgensons - Pominville

Scott - Gerbe - Mcormick/kaleta.

Would leave Leino expendable, maybe CBJ will take on his contract, or any other team below capfloor :D

I think someone else had

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott

Foligno- Ennis-Stafford

Leino-Grigorenko-Pomminstein

Gerbe-McCormick-Kaleta

I like the sound of these lines but what about Tropp??? He played with Vanek, and Hodgson for the last 25 games or so last year. By no means am I saying he's a top 6 or 9 forward, but I think him and Kaleta are 2/3 of a solid 4th line. They can both really skate and play physical.

I still think something is brewing becasue we have too many skaters right now. With the 12 mentioned above plus Tropp, Adam, and Scott thats 15 NHL forwards. Along with Myers, McNabb, Regehr, Sekera, Leopold, Erhoff, Sulzer, Brennan, Weber, Pysyk and now Pardy. 11 d-man with only McNabb and Pysyk elligible for sending down. With having around 5 mil in cap room plus an extra 3/4 skaters, Regier can make a move!!

Adam/Pysyk/Sekera for Statsny/ Salary dump???

So, I've taken a few hours to digest the trade and everything. In a "side-by-side" comparison, I think Roy is worth much more than Ott -- but Buffalo's extreme need for a player like Ott and their insistence to move Roy helped balance things out. Happy to have Ott here, somewhat sad to see Roy go as I grew up both as a person and a hockey fan while watching him play.

here is a little blog post i wrote about him if you feel like reading: http://www.thesportsbuff.com/?p=1485

I don't think Roy was worth more. Ribeiro got moved for Cody Eakin and a 2nd, and he's comparable to Roy. And he's still under contract, whereas Roy is a pending UFA to drop his value more, plus his recent injuries...I just don't think Roy had the kind of value he would have say two years ago.

Ott isn't going to know what to do when he becomes a local celebrity. He's the kind of guy Buffalo fans would name their kids after. The buzz leading up to his first shift in Blue and Gold is going to be immense.

He's not gonna be able to wipe the smile off his face.

Good blog as always. Thanks for that.

Fortunately for us, Timmy C has proved us right. We have a good eye for bums here. It's probably a result of the plethora of bums we have had around us.

Right. There were probably plenty of people on TSN excited about the Connolly signing as well.

Ott isn't going to know what to do when he becomes a local celebrity. He's the kind of guy Buffalo fans would name their kids after. The buzz leading up to his first shift in Blue and Gold is going to be immense.

He's not gonna be able to wipe the smile off his face.

:D

Archived