Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

Ott isn't going to know what to do when he becomes a local celebrity. He's the kind of guy Buffalo fans would name their kids after. The buzz leading up to his first shift in Blue and Gold is going to be immense.

He's not gonna be able to wipe the smile off his face.

I disagree. He isn't that well known of a player to the casual fan that people are going to be running out and lining up to buy his jersey today. I would consider myself to be more then just an average/casual fan and I can honestly say that if it wasn't for a few around here that kept bringing him up, I wouldn't have known much about him. Some fans may even have a problem with the move after seeing him play cause they are gonna expect him to be Derick Roy (or better) not just a better Kaleta. Now hopefully after seeing him crush a few guys into the boards and pissing off the other team, all that will change.............

Good quotes from Ott in this Hamilton piece:

http://wgr550.com/Ho...-known/13621991

favorite quote: "I can promise you I’m going to show up for all 82, especially the six against Boston. For some reason we’ve always had a lot of run-ins against those guys, I have no reason why, but I have a lot of fun games already against them and looking forward to some more."

this guy is going to have the FNC crowd on their feet and bringing down the roof.

can.

not.

wait.

I disagree. He isn't that well known of a player to the casual fan that people are going to be running out and lining up to buy his jersey today. I would consider myself to be more then just an average/casual fan and I can honestly say that if it wasn't for a few around here that kept bringing him up, I wouldn't have known much about him. Some fans may even have a problem with the move after seeing him play cause they are gonna expect him to be Derick Roy (or better) not just a better Kaleta. Now hopefully after seeing him crush a few guys into the boards and pissing off the other team, all that will change.............

I think the buzz is a lot greater than you think it is. My facebook was absolutely blowing up about Ott yesterday. Even my friends that are pretty casual followers knew that shipping out Roy was huge.

It's only July. By the time October rolls around, everyone in Buffalo is going to know who Steve Ott is.

favorite quote: "I can promise you I’m going to show up for all 82, especially the six against Boston. For some reason we’ve always had a lot of run-ins against those guys, I have no reason why, but I have a lot of fun games already against them and looking forward to some more."

this guy is going to have the FNC crowd on their feet and bringing down the roof.

can.

not.

wait.

I agree. I think Sabres fans are a little more edumacated on their players than some would like to think. Since everyone around here knows a Sabres fan, if they're not one already, the Sabres are a common topic of conversation, and therefore it's easy to set people straight about what's going on. Unlike other topics...

Steve Ott can hit people without actually hitting them.

...and the puss that concussed himself into the boards fleeing for his life from Ott was the

phenom with one really good game under his

belt that everybody wanted to trade for.

there is this great new tool on the interwebs called Youtube.

just playing.

After thinking about this trade a little bit more, I think this is somewhat connecting a circle...

- Goose (3rd line center; good at faceoffs, big but doesn't use size enough) for Nashville's first

- Draft at 12 (Grigorenko: chance to be a 1st line center (maybe), probably a 2nd line center) - Nashville's first eventually becomes our 14 (Girgensons: 2nd line center eventually)

- Traded Roy (2nd line center) for

- Ott (3rd line center; good at faceoffs, has tenacity more so than Gaustad).

I think we need another center for this year though and another scorer any forward that is top 6.

Ott is not a center.

No he is a versatile forward. He was 54th in total faceoffs last year, and he was 44th in faceoff wins, and he was about 55% from the dot (also top 50 for players with more than 100 faceoffs)

So he can take the draw. But faceoffs do not a center make... He can't stay in the middle all the time, because he spends a large amount of his time driving opponents through the boards.

I'll take him between Pommer and Leino on a third line that will rack up meaningful goals and finish the season about +30.

So he can take the draw. But faceoffs do not a center make... He can't stay in the middle all the time, because he spends a large amount of his time driving opponents through the boards.

I'll take him between Pommer and Leino on a third line that will rack up meaningful goals and finish the season about +30.

so who would center that line? not ott - he's a winger who is proficient at taking draws. not leino - his experiment at center failed last year. and certainly not pominville.

so who would center that line? not ott - he's a winger who is proficient at taking draws. not leino - his experiment at center failed last year. and certainly not pominville.

I would imagine that after the draw, Leino would shift into center. There was a lot of talk here last year that he did something similar with Philly.

This line is playing against the top lines in the league. I'll take Ott in the middle for draws, then shifting left and giving leino Centerman d-zone responsibilities. In the O-zone this group is playing puck protection. Leino's problem as a center was that he was terrible at draws, and thus, his line never had the puck, which really hurts a puck control forward. That line doesn't need a center after the draw. Leino skates around while Pommer and Ott Forecheck. I completely understand the concern, but I'll stand by it.

This line is playing against the top lines in the league. I'll take Ott in the middle for draws, then shifting left and giving leino Centerman d-zone responsibilities. In the O-zone this group is playing puck protection. Leino's problem as a center was that he was terrible at draws, and thus, his line never had the puck, which really hurts a puck control forward. That line doesn't need a center after the draw. Leino skates around while Pommer and Ott Forecheck. I completely understand the concern, but I'll stand by it.

I like this. That would be an effective line fer shure. Of course, I think Pommers' numbers might go down. Tough choice here, because Pominville is as valuable on a scoring line as he is on a shut-down line, especially if he lands a few more checks.

Archived