Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

Okay, you can bet the house on 20 games. I have loved Ennis and his skating and skills from day one. Then I watch the playoffs and the final 8 and I worry about how he will be tackled in the playoffs. Sorry, I'm old and a realist.

I understand your concern. It often seems to me that he's one solid board check away from an injury. But he's very agile and oftentimes slips away from solid checks (like Gretzky used to). Plus he has Stafford and Foligno (well - Foligno) to protect him on the ice.

All-in-all I think he's a solid nr. 2 center. I'm hoping for a race between Hodgson and Grigs for the nr. 1 slot a couple of years from now.

As has been said in other threads, and confirmed by a few reporters, just because we weren't on the list initially, doesn't mean we won't force our way on. The longer this takes, the better our chances.

I haven't seen the other threads, sorry.

So, are you saying he's able to modify his wish-list?

Okay, you can bet the house on 20 games. I have loved Ennis and his skating and skills from day one. Then I watch the playoffs and the final 8 and I worry about how he will be tackled in the playoffs. Sorry, I'm old and a realist.

What playoffs were you watching? Ennis showed up every minute of every shift against Philly last time we were in. He scored the OT winner that put them on the brink! realist? more like pessimist. Again, with a guy like Foligno on his line, and bigger guys on the team, players are not going to take the liberties you think they will.

He can add teams. He had to supply eight, but I'm sure CBus wouldn't mind if he added a ninth or tenth team.

Are you sure that he had to provide anything? I thought he had a full, unmodified NMC. He agreed to provide a list, but I don't believe that he was required to. If he wasn't, then he can add, subtract, modify, etc, as much as he wants, because he'll have to actually sign a waiver of that NMC to be traded.

Interesting. According to TSN, Roy is one of just 26 players to average at least .8 points per game in five of the past six seasons. That's not star numbers, but it certainly is first line numbers.

Also from TSN, Ott is one of only two players to score at least 75 goals and rack up 750 PIMs in the past five seasons. He's also averaged More than 56 per cent on the face off dot in the past three years and has more than 250 hits in each of the past three years.

Couple of good, yet very different players changed hands here.

Too bad he was missing in every single playoff series that he was ever here for, whether statistically or by injury

Too bad he was missing in every single playoff series that he was ever here for, whether statistically or by injury

He was virtually invisible for every series since 2007, but he had some moments during the 2005-06 playoffs--- 15 points in 18 games, but 5 points came in that sparkling performance of Game 1 of the Ottawa series. On a wing with Drury and Grier he was not only effective but also exceptional--- and kept in line. He wouldn't be so unwelcome in Buffalo if he weren't miscast as a top 6 center and team leader since 7/1/07.

Having said that, I'm sure as hell glad he's gone.

He was virtually invisible for every series since 2007, but he had some moments during the 2005-06 playoffs--- 15 points in 18 games, but 5 points came in that sparkling performance of Game 1 of the Ottawa series. On a wing with Drury and Grier he was not only effective but also exceptional--- and kept in line. He wouldn't be so unwelcome in Buffalo if he weren't miscast as a top 6 center and team leader since 7/1/07.

and that is precisely what i think about d. roy. thanks, punch.

Are you sure that he had to provide anything? I thought he had a full, unmodified NMC. He agreed to provide a list, but I don't believe that he was required to. If he wasn't, then he can add, subtract, modify, etc, as much as he wants, because he'll have to actually sign a waiver of that NMC to be traded.

Yes. He's doing it as a "favor".

Unless this is clearing salary for a bigger move, I'm officially not happy.

Roy for Ott seems to reduce scoring, not improving it.

More than a replacement for Roy, Ott is the replacement for Gaustad, and an upgrade in terms of 2-way ability.

Cody Hodgson is the replacement for Roy - we just got him a few months early.

More than a replacement for Roy, Ott is the replacement for Gaustad, and an upgrade in terms of 2-way ability.

Exactly right. Ott is a better player than Goose. It remains to be seen if Cody is an upgrade on Roy, but he certainly takes the game more seriously and I have high hopes.

So from an organizational standpoint:

Ott replaces Gaustad

Hodgson replaces Roy

Foligno replaces Kassian

Tropp replaces Foligno (on the depth chart or whatever -- the bottom line is that he's better than we thought)

The Sabres still have too many defensemen and too many forwards. Darcy still needs to make more moves just so that we can have a roster/depth chart that makes sense.

I agree with this.

Regier is crossing his fingers Hodgson can produce like Roy (Hey Darcy, get him a Bobby Ryan type and most likely he will!)

But Ott is definitely an upgrade attitude wise and hockey skill over Gaustad. Very happy to have Ott on the Sabres, depending on who they team him up with, we could be looking at a 40 to 50 point season with him, now I have my fingers crossed :P .

I agree Robviously, another move is most likely in the works.

I do have to wonder, at the Ott/Roy trade presser, Regier stated they had several outstanding offers to UFA's, were a majority of those offers more in line with the depth situation and Rochester needs type?

Would be interesting to know.

Exactly right. Ott is a better player than Goose. It remains to be seen if Cody is an upgrade on Roy, but he certainly takes the game more seriously and I have high hopes.

and is younger and under the teams control for many more years.

Imagine if Weber gets traded :unsure:

Not happening. Darcy might not always have his finger on the pulse of his team but betraying the guy you just acquired would be all time stupid. BTW, I thought Weber would be thicker. He looks massive on the ice, I guess it just lends to how slight most hockey players are.

edit: I imagine any team looking for Weber in a deal , would be just as happy with Brennan.

I agree with this and it reminds me about my first thought when we got Leino. I think Darcy got him to be Vanek's replacement, not a center necessarily. If Vanek gets shopped, my bet is, it's because Darcy and Lindy think that Leino's real place on this team is #1 LW.

I agree with this and it reminds me about my first thought when we got Leino. I think Darcy got him to be Vanek's replacement, not a center necessarily. If Vanek gets shopped, my bet is, it's because Darcy and Lindy think that Leino's real place on this team is #1 LW.

I'd be real excited to have Leino on my team as the no.1 LW if we were an AHL team.

Not happening. Darcy might not always have his finger on the pulse of his team but betraying the guy you just acquired would be all time stupid. BTW, I thought Weber would be thicker. He looks massive on the ice, I guess it just lends to how slight most hockey players are.

edit: I imagine any team looking for Weber in a deal , would be just as happy with Brennan.

It's the beard that makes him look bigger haha

I'm sure Darcy is smart enough to know not to do that, but just imagine if he wasn't?

there doesn't need to be a replacement for vanek, just put grigorenko next to him and sign doan to play right wing.

so you missed the report that Toronto, Buffalo, and some other team were not on Doan's list? AKA Doan last week was not interested in playing here.

What playoffs were you watching? Ennis showed up every minute of every shift against Philly last time we were in. He scored the OT winner that put them on the brink! realist? more like pessimist. Again, with a guy like Foligno on his line, and bigger guys on the team, players are not going to take the liberties you think they will.

ASk Philly about this year, or last year for that matter. First round series don't matter. Final 8 series do. We did lose to Philly correct? I love Ennis and have been quite consistant on that. He has great vision and is a power skating coach's dream. I've said for months that there is room for one diminutive player on an NHL cup winner and Ennis was my choice. Gerbe and Roy needed to be moved. One down, and one to go. He(Ennis) will be tackled and you will see his production decrease if we move deep into the playoffs. 163lbs is the lightest player in the league. If Darcy makes us tougher, he will find some space. We are still soft down the middle, and he is part of that. We drafted to help that, but that isn't changing us by next May.

Not happening. Darcy might not always have his finger on the pulse of his team but betraying the guy you just acquired would be all time stupid.

But that doesn't mean that Lindy might still bench him.

Archived