Sabres Trade busted up Roy for Ott and Pardy

26CornerBlitz

Another item from DR's presser that struck me was when he said there was a very igh level of frustration within the organization at how last year turned out. He said it and repeated it, both in the context of explaining why Roy was traded. I took it to mean that senior management was very disappointed in the "core" group of forwards. That's why I wouldn't be too surprised if there is another trade involving Stafford, Vanek or Pommer.

I have a very strong feeling Vanek is about to go.

And with Roy, Gaustad, Hecht and Connolly already gone that would just about kill the "Darcy is married to his core" argument.

(Anyone who figures Pominville has to go too must have been watching different games than I did last year.)

Another item from DR's presser that struck me was when he said there was a very igh level of frustration within the organization at how last year turned out. He said it and repeated it, both in the context of explaining why Roy was traded. I took it to mean that senior management was very disappointed in the "core" group of forwards. That's why I wouldn't be too surprised if there is another trade involving Stafford, Vanek or Pommer.

About time someone besides us was frustrated.

I have a very strong feeling Vanek is about to go.

And with Roy, Gaustad, Hecht and Connolly already gone that would just about kill the "Darcy is married to his core" argument.

(Anyone who figures Pominville has to go too must have been watching different games than I did last year.)

Why?

Who says it was his idea to get rid of any of them? For all any of us know he was told that he had to get rid of them because the higher ups wanted change

I think so too. And based on how free agency has been going, these guys are all pretty affordable for teams. I'm sure these guys have at least come up in discussions with other teams. I'm not sure if we'll actually find the right deal though.

I hate this trade as well. Ott nowhere near the talent level as Roy.

You're just upset that your screen name and avatar are now outdated. :P ;)

He's def a cool guy, but he was brutally bad at times last season. A big liability for the Sabres in the back.

But you can't deny his contributions to the Sabres Green Team.

Why?

Who says it was his idea to get rid of any of them? For all any of us know he was told that he had to get rid of them because the higher ups wanted change

Could be. I was simply following Occam's Razor.

If what you suggest actually was the case, if his bosses are undermining/overruling him that strongly, we could reasonably conclude he must be one mistake away from losing his job.

Could be. I was simply following Occam's Razor.

If what you suggest actually was the case, if his bosses are undermining/overruling him that strongly, we could reasonably conclude he must be one mistake away from losing his job.

Or, for all we know, that might be how management likes it. They have their puppet in the GM seat, and they can conrtol and make the moves they want instead of having someone tell them who is gonna be signed

Or, for all we know, that might be how management likes it. They have their puppet in the GM seat, and they can conrtol and make the moves they want instead of having someone tell them who is gonna be signed

If upper management is micromanaging him, rather than setting guidelines of what he will do, wouldn't they be better off doing the job themselves?

We know Ennis took his game up a notch before Stafford did and before Foligno showed up on his line. So it wasn't magic. These guys are still responsible for their own performance.

There's no point in trying to quantify it (half this guy or half that guy) and, BTW, NO ONE was trying to do that. I said Foligno made his two line mates better, which seemed like the least controversial take of all time, and amazingly that turned into some weird situation where everyone is having a different, unrelated argument. Well done, guys.

No sense quantifying it, yet that's exactly what you just did with your first sentence. Both of you are right and both of you are wrong. The three players together found something that worked and to give any more credit to any of them is irresponsible and slanted IMO.

If upper management is micromanaging him, rather than setting guidelines of what he will do, wouldn't they be better off doing the job themselves?

Maybe, but its not like there aren't other owners that do it this way.

Its a great way for the superhero saviour Owner TP to ruin his reputation and adoration from the fans by coming out and taking over a position he has never had experience with and make some bad moves the fan base hates. Right now he pays Regier to be the fall guy and take the blame while also working out the details for things. He tells Regier, I want X and Y and Z, and I want A, B, C, and D out of here, make it happen

No sense quantifying it, yet that's exactly what you just did with your first sentence. Both of you are right and both of you are wrong. The three players together found something that worked and to give any more credit to any of them is irresponsible and slanted IMO.

I love Ennis. Yet at 163lbs. he is the lightest player in the NHL. That is about 620 players. I am very skeptical about betting the farm on him as a 1 or 2 center. That is despite the fact that the D-bags on WGR have him penciled in for those slots.

I love Ennis. Yet at 163lbs. he is the lightest player in the NHL. That is about 620 players. I am very skeptical about betting the farm on him as a 1 or 2 center. That is despite the fact that the D-bags on WGR have him penciled in for those slots.

Am I the only one here who thought he caught a glimpse of the future of that Ennis-Stafford-Foligno line at the tail end of last season??? That IS our #2 Line. And it's damned good.

Am I the only one here who thought he caught a glimpse of the future of that Ennis-Stafford-Foligno line at the tail end of last season??? That IS our #2 Line. And it's damned good.

Nope, sorry

A fan thinks he is too small to be a #2, and he also doesn't lead the league in hits so he can't be a good player.

I really think the Sabres have their #1 and #2 centres already in Hodgson and Ennis, until the 2 #1's this year are ready for the NHL. Hodgson can go between Pommers and Vanek on the first line, with Ennis between Foligno and Stafford. They could use a veteran for the 3rd line with Leino and Gerbe or Ott. And then you have McCormick for the 4th with Kaleta (they will get around to re-signing him), and Ott or someone else. They don't need to break teh bank to search and fid someone before the season starts. If they do, then thats a bonus and an upgrade

I'm with you, Chimp... Ennis is small, but more talented than Gerbe and with bigger linemates like Stafford and Foligno I think that line has a ton of potential.

I'm with you, Chimp... Ennis is small, but more talented than Gerbe and with bigger linemates like Stafford and Foligno I think that line has a ton of potential.

I think we all learned from Nintendo Ice Hockey that a line full of skinny guys accomplishes nothing, but the line of fat guy, medium guy, and skinny guy is nearly unstoppable.

I think we all learned from Nintendo Ice Hockey that a line full of skinny guys accomplishes nothing, but the line of fat guy, medium guy, and skinny guy is nearly unstoppable.

Someone forward this to Darcy, hopefully when TP took over he threw out Darcys Nintendo and upgrade it to either a PS3 or XBOX360 for him to work out his deals on. I heard Darcy just got the Nintendo before TP took over, TG opened the purse strings a little so he could replace the Attari he originally had.

Nope, sorry

A fan thinks he is too small to be a #2, and he also doesn't lead the league in hits so he can't be a good player.

I really think the Sabres have their #1 and #2 centres already in Hodgson and Ennis, until the 2 #1's this year are ready for the NHL. Hodgson can go between Pommers and Vanek on the first line, with Ennis between Foligno and Stafford. They could use a veteran for the 3rd line with Leino and Gerbe or Ott. And then you have McCormick for the 4th with Kaleta (they will get around to re-signing him), and Ott or someone else. They don't need to break teh bank to search and fid someone before the season starts. If they do, then thats a bonus and an upgrade

Okay, you can bet the house on 20 games. I have loved Ennis and his skating and skills from day one. Then I watch the playoffs and the final 8 and I worry about how he will be tackled in the playoffs. Sorry, I'm old and a realist.

Okay, you can bet the house on 20 games. I have loved Ennis and his skating and skills from day one. Then I watch the playoffs and the final 8 and I worry about how he will be tackled in the playoffs. Sorry, I'm old and a realist.

So what you really mean is your old and arrogant and if we disagree we are wrong?

I have said it before and I will say it again Lindy's system favors quick skating centers. Ennis will thrive at center as long as he doesn't do a Timmy

Video (game) scouting.

Very nice.

Interesting. According to TSN, Roy is one of just 26 players to average at least .8 points per game in five of the past six seasons. That's not star numbers, but it certainly is first line numbers.

Also from TSN, Ott is one of only two players to score at least 75 goals and rack up 750 PIMs in the past five seasons. He's also averaged More than 56 per cent on the face off dot in the past three years and has more than 250 hits in each of the past three years.

Couple of good, yet very different players changed hands here.

Better late then never, I guess.

Archived