Round one Pick #14. Girgensons

spndnchz

About 1/3rd of Latvians speak Russian.

Yes, although I understand the percentage goes up quite a bit in his home city of Riga. As I was reading more on these guys last night it became apparent that they're both extremely comfortable speaking english, so it may not be a big deal. In any case, it seems like Zemgus is the type of player who drives the guys around him to be better. That's what our young forwards need. I love the pick. I hope Zemgus plays with Rochester this year. I also expect Mikhail to probably start in Rochester, but he has the talent to play in Buffalo at some point this year.

Yes, although I understand the percentage goes up quite a bit in his home city of Riga. As I was reading more on these guys last night it became apparent that they're both extremely comfortable speaking english, so it may not be a big deal. In any case, it seems like Zemgus is the type of player who drives the guys around him to be better. That's what our young forwards need. I love the pick. I hope Zemgus plays with Rochester this year. I also expect Mikhail to probably start in Rochester, but he has the talent to play in Buffalo at some point this year.

It's either Buffalo or the QMJHL for Mikhail...He cannot go to Rochester. Hopefully it's Buffalo...All Hail Mikhail!!!

Another outstanding pick, although I don't know as much about Girgensons.

I really like how the Sabres played their cards extremely close to their vest on both picks, not to mention how they moved up to 14.

All of a sudden centre looks like a position of strength.

Maybe now the trade proposals to bring in a number one centre will stop, or at least slow down.

So, that would imply that long term the plan would be Grigorenko on line 1, Hodgson on line 2, and this kid on the 3rd line. If they all pan out, and that works, does that move Ennis back to a wing?

ennis is a waste anywhere but center. the kid was awesome there last yr bfor a good stretch when lindy finally figured it out .

Grigs can only for Buff or the Q.

I believe Girgs is already committed to Vermont.

I was wondering this myself. The national language of Latvia is Latvian, but I don't think that is the conversational language that most people there use (anyone know?)... so I assume he knows Russian (?)... If so that'd be great.

all those people sound the same to me

Usually with a kid that is 18, I am all for having him go back to college or a year or two in the minors to get some seasoning. That said, with the way that Girgensons plays, and the fact that he can and should start off as a 4th line C, I see little reason why he couldn't stay up, and we play both of the 18 year olds this coming year. Let McCormick play wing, along with Tropp or Kaleta, and let the kid go out and play. It would be different if his game was all skill. And it would be different if he was expected to play on the top three lines. I just think that three years from now, when he is 21, and had already played two years in the NHL, he would be best suited to become a very good, valuable player.

We are talking about having two 18 year old centers though. I can't imagine any team being very likely to do that.

And on another note, everything I've seen out of Vermont strongly points to him being there for the year. I missed that portion of the draft but I have heard that vermonts coach was there with him.

We are talking about having two 18 year old centers though. I can't imagine any team being very likely to do that.

And on another note, everything I've seen out of Vermont strongly points to him being there for the year. I missed that portion of the draft but I have heard that vermonts coach was there with him.

Yeah he was there with him, and Girgensons loves the guy. That is where I expect him to play. The fact that he is 18 doesnt bother me at all when he is the #4 C though, and ALL of the many reasons why you do not have 18 year olds play on your team seem to me to not be concerns with this guy. That's the only reason I suggested it. You worry about hurting a kid's confidence -- that ain't gonna happen with this guy. You worry about too much pressure on him or his skill level not refined enough -- when you're a 4th line C and really just expected to go out there and hustle and bang and wreak havoc that issue goes away. Plus, he probably already has, at 18, the skill level of a lot if not most of the 4th liners. You worry about maturity -- but this kid seems to have all the intangibles you want, moving over to North America by himself at 15, becoming the team leader and captain, having great work ethic, etc.

When I see all the guys that have played on the 4th line over the last few years I just don't think the game would be too big for him, and the upside could be a big payoff. Again, if he was expected to play the shifts that Grigs was expected to play, or any other 18 year old C, on any of the top 3 lines I would say no way. But the way he plays, and the expectations, makes an unusual move seem very possible to me.

Again, I think he will probably go back to Vermont and play a year of college hockey. But it wouldn't surprise me if he wows the brass at the camp, and they seriously consider keeping him up. Of course, if Roy is still here and they are going to play him at C there is no chance of this happening.

playing him as a 18 year old 4th liner would be near career sucide for him. He is near the apex of his development age. This is the time to maximize the minutes and situations he plays in so that he can actually develop his talents. Playing 5-8 minutes a night and no special teams would not do that. Unless he is getting 12-15 minutes and time on the PK he needs to play in vermont a few seasons.

playing him as a 18 year old 4th liner would be near career sucide for him. He is near the apex of his development age. This is the time to maximize the minutes and situations he plays in so that he can actually develop his talents. Playing 5-8 minutes a night and no special teams would not do that. Unless he is getting 12-15 minutes and time on the PK he needs to play in vermont a few seasons.

I agree he would lose out on some things but think he would gain in others. It's also foolish to speculate on my part that he is ready for this. That would only be found in camp. But he would also be playing in 80 games on the Sabres, and not 32 or so that Vermont would play.

i have no basis in fact for this (well, other than some predictably laudatory comments from people who've coached him), really just a hockey fan's intuition: there's something about the cut of this kid's jib that i like.

also, nhlvideo's youtube channel thinks the flames picked girgernsons.

i have no basis in fact for this (well, other than some predictably laudatory comments from people who've coached him), really just a hockey fan's intuition: there's something about the cut of this kid's jib that i like.

also, nhlvideo's youtube channel thinks the flames picked girgernsons.

I'm with you Aud. There's something about Zemmy.

I'd be beyond shocked if Girgensons sniffs the roster this season, or even next season really. I think he's 2 (maybe 3) full seasons away from making any kind of an impact. I'm assuming 1-2 at Vermont and 1 in Rochester.

McKenzie said he felt that he is at least ready for the A

Archived