Round one Pick #14. Girgensons

spndnchz

I'm with you Aud. There's something about Zemmy.

i think it's the look on his face in this photo that does it as much as anything else.

Zemgus+Girgensons+2012+NHL+Entry+Draft+Round+ci2U5hbMAc4l.jpg

those arched eyebrows. that vaguely vacant stare. he just looks like the sort of guy who will run through a gotdamn brick wall without a second thought. he also looks like his coconut may be reinforced with cement and steel (and yes i have heard the story about the broken jaw (on a hit he delivered, btw)). i dunno. maybe project him as a third-liner, but i just like the look of him.

where's ghost and his eyeball-based horse-evaluating skills?

Is it just me or does he also have Dumbo ears in that picture?

no need to qualify it, in my opinion.

from the same photo op. the arched brows are gone, the stare is not as vacant ... but the feeling coming off of the kid is the same.

146702399_extra_large.jpg

who knows. whatever. i'm just having a bit of off-season fun.

Apparently he has a tattoo on the inside of his bicep which reads "I do it because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't." Beast.

i'm telling you. there's something not right with that kid.

and by "not right", i mean potentially super awesome.

those arched eyebrows. that vaguely vacant stare. he just looks like the sort of guy who will run through a gotdamn brick wall without a second thought. he also looks like his coconut may be reinforced with cement and steel (and yes i have heard the story about the broken jaw (on a hit he delivered, btw)). i dunno. maybe project him as a third-liner, but i just like the look of him.

where's ghost and his eyeball-based horse-evaluating skills?

Actually....Grigorenko has a case of the offset eyes.

Let's face it....these Soviet Bloc boys have about a 30% chance of being born with fetal alcohol syndrome......so let's not hold any facial features against them.

While I'm stereotyping......I think I want to propose to Girgensons' sister. Now, I have a little Lithuanian in me which forces me to keep somewhat legit given my Italian heritage......but I think with our pedigree and nationalistic sexual tension, we could have some big, beautiful babies who get D1-A scholarships and who will put me in a good nursing home.

I think this kid is an example of being a man...even at 18. His attitude and work ethic...he's built like a bull....and he has a good character from the 5 minute profile workup. He loves his family and has a soft side, so you aren't getting a crazy animal no matter how intense he can look. At worst he is probably your 3rd line center for a decade and the type of guy you want around come playoff time.

For all the talk of Ennis-Foligno-Stafford......long term that will not hold up. You want Ennis at wing if you build a team capable of winning it all. I think a Line with Girgensons and Foligno is the type of line that wins championships. Put on Gerbe and his attitude, or Tropp and call it your 3rd line. With this center depth now.....I wouldn't be afraid to roll 4 lines this year, but I doubt Lindy would a) let guys gel long enough to make it work....and b) trust kids out there for the minutes needed to be effective.

I go to camp baring any other moves, looking like this:

Vanek-Roy-Stafford

Ennis-Hodgson-Pominville

Gerbe-Grigorenko-Lieno

Foligno-Girgensons-Tropp

Lieno is going to LOVE playing with Grigorenko. I think this will salvage his contract.

Ideally they still find a way to move Roy and either Stafford or Pominville and Sekera or Leopold. There is still a chance you can build a contender this year.....but I think it will be tough without a true #1 center still this year. Maybe 2 years down the line you just drafted one.....that's why you look at depth and roll the 4 lines and let the kids grow up.

Can you get Doan to sign here? Can you move Roy and Tropp for Ott? Will Stafford/Adam/Sekera/Brennan get you Bobby Ryan? If so how does this look?

Vanek-Grigorenko-Ryan

Ennis-Hodgson-Pominville

Foligno-Ott-Doan

Gerbe-Girgensons-Lieno

Myers-Regehr

Ehrhoff-McNabb

Leopold-Weber

Miller/Enroth

If one of the 2 kids isn't ready for primetime......then you move Ennis back to center for now.

There is no need for guys like Kaleta/Ellis/McCormick anymore when you have guys like Ott/Doan/Foligno/Girgensons in the lineup who hit and have talent. You D has a good mix of offense/stay-at-home......there you go.

They need to follow up on this though, or else we are just back to square 1. They are still 2 talented top 9 forwards with a physical presence away from being mentioned in the top 10 teams.

Actually....Grigorenko has a case of the offset eyes.

you mean girgenson?

Mikhail+Grigorenko+2012+NHL+Entry+Draft+Portraits+Va1aWYAKJyJl.jpg

if both of these guys somehow break in at the same time, it is gonna by a nightmare keeping their names straight. the fact that they are both going to wear #12 will not make matters any easier. :bag: my money's on grigo making it first, with girge to follow in 2013 or maybe even 2014.

I knew I liked you weave

you mean girgenson?

Mikhail+Grigorenko+2012+NHL+Entry+Draft+Portraits+Va1aWYAKJyJl.jpg

if both of these guys somehow break in at the same time, it is gonna by a nightmare keeping their names straight. the fact that they are both going to wear #12 will not make matters any easier. :bag: my money's on grigo making it first, with girge to follow in 2013 or maybe even 2014.

Grigs' awkward smile reminds me of Lidstrom, and I like it.

5d8a7f04bafb11e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

While I'm stereotyping......I think I want to propose to Girgensons' sister. Now, I have a little Lithuanian in me which forces me to keep somewhat legit given my Italian heritage......but I think with our pedigree and nationalistic sexual tension, we could have some big, beautiful babies who get D1-A scholarships and who will put me in a good nursing home.

and, here again, i thought you meant grigorenko's sister?

but then i see that girge's sister has already been found on the tweeter..

Dwight, you lost me at Gerbe.

Again.....for everyone penciling in Foligno as a superstar, Gerbe led this team down the stretch in '11 with 8 goals in the same last 14 games Foligno played, and played with more heart than anyone.

2 things are going on here.....people are way too down on Gerbe and people are way too high on Foligno.

Both are capable 3rd liners and Gerbe will not be limited with the likes of Girgensons or Foligno on his line. When you put him with midgets and slugs....he can be neutralised......but on a big, energy line with offensive talent...there is a spot for him. It's not the end of the world if he isn't on the team, but the discrepancy of views on these two players is WAY out of line right now.

:P

And I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw Vanek-Roy-Stafford together again. Otherwise, good thoughts in there. :D

We can't assume moves will be made. It took 5 years for Darcy to finally pull out a ruler, scale, and hernia gloves when it came to the draft.

Again.....for everyone penciling in Foligno as a superstar, Gerbe led this team down the stretch in '11 with 8 goals in the same last 14 games Foligno played, and played with more heart than anyone.

2 things are going on here.....people are way too down on Gerbe and people are way too high on Foligno.

Both are capable 3rd liners and Gerbe will not be limited with the likes of Girgensons or Foligno on his line. When you put him with midgets and slugs....he can be neutralised......but on a big, energy line with offensive talent...there is a spot for him. It's not the end of the world if he isn't on the team, but the discrepancy of views on these two players is WAY out of line right now.

We can't assume moves will be made. It took 5 years for Darcy to finally pull out a ruler, scale, and hernia gloves when it came to the draft.

Gerbe is a novelty item. I love the kid's heart and effort, and he's wildly talented. He did well for us because his effort was above and beyond.

But this team moving forward should be attempting to make him replaceable. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but all the heart in the world isn't going to make the game any easier for him on a regular basis.

Foligno on the other hand, has the size that will make him the player Gerbe wishes he was.

5d8a7f04bafb11e1a8761231381b4856_7.jpg

and, here again, i thought you meant grigorenko's sister?

but then i see that girge's sister has already been found on the tweeter..

Yes.....that is my sweet Babushka. If young Zemgus makes his way to this site through google.......I promise to take good care of her and make you many strapping nephews.

I'll be absolutely tickled if Foligno develops to the point where he spends most of his career on a 2nd line. I'm not overvaluing him as much as I am ackowledging the chemistry he had with Ennis and Stafford. As for Gerbe, I've talked about him too many times to have the desire to lay out my entire line of thought again. Suffice to say, I do not think he has the game to overcome his substantial size deficit, big linemates or no. I prefer that the team be constructed so that he becomes an injury call up or valuable 13th forward.

I will admit, *if* Gerbe succeeds in the NHL, IMO it will be as a shutdown forward, something that a 3rd line position warrants, and I agree that if he has a spot here it would be in the position you suggest.

Dwight, I'd actually like some reasoning as to why you have Roy with Vanek and want Ennis on the wing. I've seen enough of Roy and Vanek together to know I don't want them on the same line again, even if it means Vanek is centered by McCormick (OK slight exaggeration...but only slight). And Ennis thrives in space, especially if they start enforcing at least some of the obstruction rules again. What benefit is there to him being on the wing and along the boards more often?

i had a screen cap to show how our pick at #12 was the second most popular google-prompt when you search mikhail... but can't figure out how to upload something from my desktop. anyone know how to do this? it looks like i need to add the image to "my media", but i can't figure that one out either.

i had a screen cap to show how our pick at #12 was the second most popular google-prompt when you search mikhail... but can't figure out how to upload something from my desktop. anyone know how to do this? it looks like i need to add the image to "my media", but i can't figure that one out either.

When you reply click, More Reply Options at the bottom of the page.

Then Choose File,

Attach This File

then a checkbox should show up for adding to post.

Archived