Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Getting Hodgson is big in my mind. Pure play-making center. Exactly what Buffalo needs.

this could be a great long term deal as part of building the younger core. Do we see him playing #1 or #2 center versus replacing Goose on 3rd line? Willl be interesting how Lindy shifts the lines and if this kid can flourish under lindy

Yes, we're smaller. That said, we can definitely still trade Roy this summer. If we have Hodgsen, Ennis, and Adam as our top 3 centers, why do we need Roy? We can deal him for some toughness. (I'm still dreaming about the Roy for Ryan Clowe deal someone around here was talking about a few weeks back.)

This trade really depends on what Marcus Foligno turns into. If he's the power forward we want him to be, we're OK. If not, we're in a lot of trouble with toughness. Kaleta and Tropp are tough but not big. It's not clear to me what McNabb and Foligno can do long term. Myers?

Hodgson is going to open a tone of ice. Great vision. Loved him in juniors. He's a player.

Hodgson is going to open a tone of ice. Great vision. Loved him in juniors. He's a player.

It must of killed Vancouver to give this kid up.

Yes, we're smaller. That said, we can definitely still trade Roy this summer. If we have Hodgsen, Ennis, and Adam as our top 3 centers, why do we need Roy? We can deal him for some toughness. (I'm still dreaming about the Roy for Ryan Clowe deal someone around here was talking about a few weeks back.)

This trade really depends on what Marcus Foligno turns into. If he's the power forward we want him to be, we're OK. If not, we're in a lot of trouble with toughness. Kaleta and Tropp are tough but not big. It's not clear to me what McNabb and Foligno can do long term. Myers?

First misspelling of Hodgson's name I've seen. I was looking for it, too ;)

Hodgson has 33 points in 63 games playing on Vancouver's 3rd line....averaging under 13 minutes per game. It's not like he was playing with the Sedins. Kid is really impressive on paper (admittedly I haven't watched him play much), and most Vancouver fans seem to be flipping out. Said it when trade was announced, and I'll keep saying it: I LOVE this trade for us.

Actually Ferraro and two of the others stated 'Vancouver got the better of the trade' when it was initially reported. The quotes seem to be balancing out more in the later coverage, though a lot of that may be because they just had Hodgson on the phone.

I thought their comments were grounded in how the Canucks couldn't answer the toughness bell against the Bruins in the SC finals. They focused an awful lot on that aspect of what Kassian brings them. I still say that Hodgson fills a bigger need for us than Kassian does for them both immediately and in the future.

GO SABRES!!!

I've seen flashes of great potential from Kassian, but that's it. Still, this feels awfully early to be giving up on him. Hodgson needs to be a very good player in order for this to prove out as a good trade.

I don't think we're really giving up on Kassian, but giving up Kassian for something else that seems to be promising.

Getting Hodgson is big in my mind. Pure play-making center. Exactly what Buffalo needs.

X, can you give us your scouting report on him?

I've barely watched any 'Nucks games this year, so I haven't seen much of Hodgson. TSN was describing him as a '2 way' center which seems to contradict your view. Of course, that could have been because he was buried under Vancouver's serious depth at center.

You can say that again. Oh, you did. :P

I like everything about Hodgson. If we'd traded Roy for him, I'd be doing a cartwheel right now. I guess I'm just worried because the Sabres weren't overly tough to begin with. And now what?

I'm just hoping this is going to validate my creepy man crush on Marcus Foligno.

this could be a great long term deal as part of building the younger core. Do we see him playing #1 or #2 center versus replacing Goose on 3rd line? Willl be interesting how Lindy shifts the lines and if this kid can flourish under lindy

He is a little bit like Krecji in a way. He can play 1, 2, or 3. and I think a RH shot as well. I don't remember him killing penalties, but he's a pure center on the power play with good smarts and similar skating skills.

Ummm question? Everyone is all "OOO we gave up so much size!"... we gave up 3" and 20 lbs... so the horror... SARCASM.

I said I hoped we got a top center prospect and offered up a player like Couturier and I think Hodgson is fits that quite nicely. Also Kassian other than shielding the puck, he barely used any of his size or physicality.

Finding Ray's comments about Kassian interesting. Said Kassian is talented and it's nice to have size but if you're not going to bring it every night, what's the point? Said it's not something that's learned. It's inate. I agree.

GO SABRES!!!

You can say that again. Oh, you did. :P

I like everything about Hodgson. If we'd traded Roy for him, I'd be doing a cartwheel right now. I guess I'm just worried because the Sabres weren't overly tough to begin with. And now what?

I'm just hoping this is going to validate my creepy man crush on Marcus Foligno.

Toughness you can add. McNabb is on the roster next year. Probably Foligno.

Much easier to find UFA Baddasses than UFA Centers.

I know a bit about this Hodgson guy. He is the real deal.

X. you are bang on.

The trade deadline is not (usually) where big deals are made, but this is the "biggest" deal today. I am extemely shocked that DR made this deal. He addressed the single most glaring need on the Sabres.

I will go on record ... this is the best deal DR has ever made. I know, I know ... Briere for Gratton ... yada, yada ... DR got lucky on that one.

I doubt that.

This is a prototypical Sabres type player. Some offensive ability, some size that he doesn't use. He a hybrid of Roy and Stafford, two players that fans would love to drive to the airport.

This has the potential of being another Leino type move. You're taking a kid that looked good surrounded by Vancouver's talent, now he is playing with a roster full of limited offensive ability.

I am more impressed by getting a first rounder for Gaustad. This move, I'd rather have Kassian.

Edited by DeLuca67

Potential centers for next year:

#1 -- Ennis

#2 -- Hodgson

#3 -- Roy in his contract year

#4 -- Adam/Chewie/Tropp

Interesting.

Finding Ray's comments about Kassian interesting. Said Kassian is talented and it's nice to have size but if you're not going to bring it every night, what's the point? Said it's not something that's learned. It's inate. I agree.

GO SABRES!!!

Totally agree with Rob's point there. (I'm listening too.) Guys like Kaleta and Tropp showed up and started hitting immediately. Kassian really didn't as a Sabre or as an Amerk. He still could (we saw flashes) but maybe he's more legend than real deal. Great trade if that turns out to be the case.

Wonder if they're still selling BADASSIAN shirts at the Walden Galleria.

I doubt that.

This is a prototypical Sabres type player. Some offensive ability, some size that he doesn't use. He a hybrid of Roy and Stafford, two players that fans would love to drive to the airport.

This has the potential of being another Leino type move. Your taking a kid that looked good surrounded by Vancouver's talent, now he is playing with a roster full of limited offensive ability.

I am more impressed by getting a first rounder for Gaustad. This move, I'd rather have Kassian.

Very little of Hodgson's value comes from his play in Vancouver. He is a borderline elite center prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

I doubt that.

This has the potential of being another Leino type move. You're taking a kid that looked good surrounded by Vancouver's talent, now he is playing with a roster full of limited offensive ability.

I was waiting for you to chime in DeLuca.

I know a bit about this Hodgson guy. He is the real deal.

X. you are bang on.

The trade deadline is not (usually) where big deals are made, but this is the "biggest" deal today. I am extemely shocked that DR made this deal. He addressed the single most glaring need on the Sabres.

I will go on record ... this is the best deal DR has ever made. I know, I know ... Briere for Gratton ... yada, yada ... DR got lucky on that one.

You can't convince me that he got "lucky" on that one or on Grosek for Dumont & Gilmour. Or on Warrener for Drury, even.

There are a lot of good deals that he made before Quinn slapped the cuffs on, and I'm not convinced with this one yet.