Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I hate to say this..but seems to me ever sinse that bar fight Kassian has not been the same player. I don't know if that knocked some of the "wild" out of him, he just seems out of sorts on the ice... not the same guy the sabres drafted. Maybe his life his better, but his hockey has suffered.

Now, I watch zero Western confernece except when we play them...so I have no idea if this is good or bad trade...but I am not crushed kassian is leaving

Maybe Joel Armia, who (according to Hockey's Future) is our top overall organizational prospect, makes Kassian more expendable. Joel has more offensive upside than Kassian. And, as others have pointed out, we can get the size elsewhere. But, no one can argue that we weren't badly in need of a young center who can score.

This is an absolutely false statement. I team full of players with 80pt potential or a team full of players who may be physical... hmmm

IMHO Kassian will pan out to be a strong (not physical) 50pt a year rw similar to stafford and Hodgson will be a 70pt a year 2way player akin to Pommers... LOVE THIS TRADE STILL

nothing false about it, it's my opinion. after watching boston and philly the past couple of years, i believe it to be true.

I really wanted us to draft Hodgie in 08, now he is hear, i am psyched.

Ennis

Vanek

Leino

Adam

Stafford

Roy

Gerbe

Hodgie

'Boyes'

'Hecht'

That list could use some trimming, which gives us some chips to play with (along with our extra draft picks). We can pick up a solid few players and i am hoping for a Leino rebound season next year, which would help.

First positive thing that has happened all season :)

That

Maybe Joel Armia, who (according to Hockey's Future) is our top overall organizational prospect, makes Kassian more expendable. Joel has more offensive upside than Kassian. And, as others have pointed out, we can get the size elsewhere. But, no one can argue that we weren't badly in need of a young center who can score.

The two players could not be more different. Armia is all finesse, Kassian is all size and strength.

Understood, but I'd prefer that the front office plan for 7/8 of the season and not 1/8.

It's not about the opponent game. It's about how that opponent looks at your team. Would you disagree that teams would be a bit more tense going into a game against the Bruins and Flyers than they would be the Sabres. I think that goes a long way.

Hodgson sees the ice so well. He's gets the least amount of ice yet has 33 pts

He has played with almost everyone and still puts up points. He got 30 secs pp time. He can play. But he's not fast nor huge.

The coach never warmed to CH. He can play.

The nucks needed a big guy to keep others honest. Sulzer is a solid player.

Shocked but happy yet not happy.

Vanek keep your stick on the ice cuz the kid will find you.

Gonna be fun this sat. Lookin fwd to it

It's not about the opponent game. It's about how that opponent looks at your team. Would you disagree that teams would be a bit more tense going into a game against the Bruins and Flyers than they would be the Sabres. I think that goes a long way.

Score more goals and no one cares how tough you are. I recognize that team toughness is a problem. I also recognize that lack of scoring is a much bigger problem.

• Like (+1) 1

Who would rather have, a #1 center or Lucic? I'll take Lucic.

Interesting comparison. You are putting up the generic term '#1 center' and comparing him to arguably the best power forward in the game currently. (At a minimum, he's the power forward that gets the most respect around here.)

If the #1 center is Stamkos, it's a no brainer. If the #1 center is Roy, again, it's a no brainer. If it's someone in between, it gets grayer. And that's giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that Kassian will fully develop and reach Lucic's level.

• Like (+1) 1

You forgot one.

Back to back drafts that land Hodgson, Myers, Ennis, Adam, McNabb, and Foligno (the last three still being slightly longer shots). That's how you build a hockey team. Now if you can follow that up by having guys like Pysyk, Gauthier-Leduc, Sundher, and Armia pan out, things get that much better.

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

Score more goals and no one cares how tough you are. I recognize that team toughness is a problem. I also recognize that lack of scoring is a much bigger problem.

hard to score goals when the other team beats you up and intimidates you and there is nothing you can do about it

Back to back drafts that land Hodgson, Myers, Ennis, Adam, McNabb, and Foligno (the last three still being slightly longer shots). That's how you build a hockey team. Now if you can follow that up by having guys like Pysyk, Gauthier-Leduc, Sundher, and Armia pan out, things get that much better.

And all those coming in the era of 'video scouting.' I don't know that the bottom of the draft has been effected since the scouting has been revamped, but the top end seems to have picked up.

no. Philly went to game 7 and the only reason we were in the playoffs against boston was ryan miller... toughness matters yes but its not the end all.

and who has been more productive in the playoffs, finesse style or rugged style? i say the latter. how has buffalos style done lately?

Well I won't be upset if the Sabres miss the playoffs this year. How would this team fare against the toughness of Philly, NYR or Boston now? Glad we got some possible talent at center, but this team may as well play in skirts for the remainder of the year. One can only hope that Finley and Gongalsky can somehow make it to the NHL someday. I think Foligno, McNabb and Tropp can add some toughness down the line, but as of now this team has to be the softest bunch of guys in the league by far.