Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I almost feel sorry for the kid. He has only played a handful of NHL games and is now being tauted as Vancouvers answer to the big bad Bruins.

And he's going to a team where he can PLAY that role and not have to become this all-around, well-rounded, two-way, system guy with different linemates every ###### shift. Kassian's happy, believe me. And so will be the Canuck fans.
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't know who is treating Kassian like a bum. I think those of us who really like this deal believe 1 of 2 things (and maybe both): 1-It's harder to find a real center than a power forward, and you have to give something to get something, 2-Kassian isn't the guy we want him to be (Lucic). That's not to say we think he's awful, or going to be a complete bust...just that he isn't the physically dominant intimidator we thought/wanted him to be.

This has to be a fake twitter account, right? http://twitter.com/#!/coho9_

That may well be a fake account, but I would bet those were his thoughts.

Time will tell which team got the better deal, but I believe Kassian probably feels a lot better than Hodgson, who might be thinking he got sent to Hockey Hell (just guessing).

I don't know who is treating Kassian like a bum. I think those of us who really like this deal believe 1 of 2 things (and maybe both): 1-It's harder to find a real center than a power forward, and you have to give something to get something, 2-Kassian isn't the guy we want him to be (Lucic). That's not to say we think he's awful, or going to be a complete bust...just that he isn't the physically dominant intimidator we thought/wanted him to be.

Stop trying to reason with the unreasonable. The only thing people see here is that the Sabres gave up a guy who was supposed to be the next Lucic in their minds. They're blind with rage over this and don't want to see how important a player like Hodgson can be to a team that has had no center depth.

That may well be a fake account, but I would bet those were his thoughts.

Time will tell which team got the better deal, but I believe Kassian probably feels a lot better than Hodgson, who might be thinking he got sent to Hockey Hell (just guessing).

Even if he might think it is hockey hell I doubt he would be upset about moving closer to home.

No, he certainly didn't "develop" into that here. And he had a whole lot of time? But whatever. I'm happy for everyone's who's happy. My 15-year-old cat stopped eating yesterday, so I don't really care about any of this right now.

Even if he might think it is hockey hell I doubt he would be upset about moving closer to home.

True, but just like the majority of the post in this tread they're based on first reactions (I know my 1st post was) and I doubt that being closer to home even crossed his mind until time passed. Believe me I want this to turn out great just as much as anyone, but I believe until further changes are made to this team we'll never see the full potential of Hodgson or get a sniff of the Stanley Cup.

Really? You've been banging the drum that Darcy would stand pat and stick with status quo for a month.

Umm...I think last night I said the Sabres best chance to get a real center was from Vancouver????

You are sort of like Matt Ellis hating on Derek Roy.

Oh really?

The usual suspects saying the usual things.

What did they do? They traded away their best power forward prospect in over a decade for an aveaged sized, non-physical center.

The Gaustad trade was fine. Why not Roy, Leopold, Stafford?

Your core is still 95% in tact

This team is actually smaller and less tough than 24 hours ago

This team is still a longshot and one of 8 teams chasing the very last playoff spot

You are a funny guy Korab. You should go hang out on the PPP Bills board, you'd fit in well.

If it is so easy finding a power forward in this league......name the last Sabre who could score 15 goals....and WASN'T a complete Puss?

What did they do? They traded away their best power forward prospect in over a decade for an aveaged sized, non-physical center.

You're being pretty selective with the traits you're highlighting for each player. Do you think the first two things scouts talk about when Hodgson comes up are that he's "average sized" and "non-physical"? No, I'm pretty sure they'd talk about his skill and ability to put up points.

We traded our best power forward prospect for a center prospect with first line potential.

So seriously, which of the Sabres' lines does this kid center? He wasn't getting the playing time or opportunities, they say, in Vancouver because he was stuck on the checking line, so does Darcy think Lindy's going to give him a chance at the #2 center role???? The ONLY way that is true is if Lindy thinks that his new "son", derek Roy, is his next checking line center, because no way it's going to be little Ennis.

Roy, aside from his top-line salary, would make the smartest choice to center that shut-down 3rd line, IMO. Anyone else disagree besides korab? :P

Edited by TheChimp

If it is so easy finding a power forward in this league......name the last Sabre who could score 15 goals....and WASN'T a complete Puss?

Where did I say it was easy to find a power forward? I said it's easier than finding a top line center. Is Hodgson a top line center at this point? No, but neither is Kassian a legitimate power forward at this point.

So seriously, which of the Sabres' lines does this kid center? He wasn't getting the playing time or opportunities, they say, in Vancouver because he was stuck on the checking line, so does Darcy think Lindy's going to give him a chance at the #2 center role???? The ONLY way that is true is if Lindy thinks that his new "son", derek Roy, is his next checking line center, because no way it's going to be little Ennis.

Roy, aside from his top-line salary, would make the smartest choice to center that shut-down 3rd line, IMO. Anyone else disagree besides korab? :P

I brought this up previously, I don't see Lindy taking Roy away from Vanek and Pommers, especially since he's being "productive" and I don't want to see Ennis dropped down or moved back to the wing. I would feel a lot better about this trade if Roy was the one to go and Lindy.

I brought this up previously, I don't see Lindy taking Roy away from Vanek and Pommers, especially since he's being "productive" and I don't want to see Ennis dropped down or moved back to the wing. I would feel a lot better about this trade if Roy was the one to go and Lindy.

OK, so after ample time (one or two shifts, at LEAST :P ) on the 4th line, we can probably expect Hodgson on the 2nd? Maybe they plan on bringing Szczechura up for the 3rd?

Hodgson is putting up pts playing on the 3rd and 4 th line. He rarely has the same linemates yet still gets his pts. His avg ice is around 10 mins I believe. He's worthy of more.

The coach didn't like him and that's that.

Put him with Vanek and let them build chemistry for the final 20 games.

Don't waste him playing with checkers.

Nathan Gerbe 2010-2011.....

Over 5'4" :P

Sorry! I love Gerbe though.

Hodgson is putting up pts playing on the 3rd and 4 th line. He rarely has the same linemates yet still gets his pts. His avg ice is around 10 mins I believe. He's worthy of more.

The coach didn't like him and that's that.

Put him with Vanek and let them build chemistry for the final 20 games.

Don't waste him playing with checkers.

Why didn't the coach like him?

This is a good point. WHo the hell will center that shutdown line now? I almost feel like I could see Boyes being thrown down to that line and centering again like the tail end of last season before I could see them throwing Roy, Ennis, Leino, or "the new guy" there. I have no idea though.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/sports/story.html?id=6045930

The coach doesn't come out and say it but when you watch games you see things. Little things.

But the start they had together probably tells the tale

Anf FTR he is not soft. He's fairly sneaky, good at gettin pucks out of feet and super aware of the ice. His vision cannot be taught. He has a great shot too. See tim thomas last game they played.

Edited by rickshaw

Why didn't the coach like him?

I don't think it had anything to do with the coach not liking him... it may, however, have had something to do with a guy named Sedin and a guy named Kesler being above him on the depth chart. I never heard it mentioned anywhere that the coach didn't like him.