Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

TSN guys saying that Hodgson is in the mix for Calder Trophy this year (though they don't give him a shot of winning it).

They also seemed to think Vancouver got the better of the trade.

Sabres desperately needed centers. Would prefer to see a larger one but Hogdson will fill a need.

I wouldn't say they're saying Vancouver got the better of the trade. They're just slanting their coverage more towards Vancouver since it's one of their Canadian markets.

And that's such am impressive list who did so much to help Vancouver handle the physical onslaught that keeps getting them knocked out of hte playoffs.

I'm just saying that I saw a deal with Vancouver coming. I never thought the Sabres would get rid of Kassian so early. Today is the best day of Kassian's life. Gragnani has a shot now too...unless he can't get his games in and goes UFA.

The Sabres needed centers. Now they pretty much have Derek Roy, Derek Roy put on a stretching machine, and Tyler Ennis. There is talent, but has the identity of the Sabres changed after today?

At least they have some picks to play around with at the draft.

TSN guys saying that Hodgson is in the mix for Calder Trophy this year (though they don't give him a shot of winning it).

Sabres desperately needed centers. Would prefer to see a larger one but Hogdson will fill a need.

Rookie of the Month in January. Something to build on.

GO SABRES!!!

Time will tell who got the better of the deal. Personally I like the move. Kassian left something to be desired. We needed a center.

I'm just saying that I saw a deal with Vancouver coming. I never thought the Sabres would get rid of Kassian so early. Today is the best day of Kassian's life. Gragnani has a shot now too...unless he can't get his games in and goes UFA.

The Sabres needed centers. Now they pretty much have Derek Roy, Derek Roy put on a stretching machine, and Tyler Ennis. There is talent, but has the identity of the Sabres changed after today?

At least they have some picks to play around with at the draft.

That's pretty scathing for a player most of us haven't seen much of.

I don't think they do. I doubt many of the timmays have even looked up who the return was. They saw we lost Kassian (our top prospect) and instantly figured we got fleeced...

I'm a proud Timmay and LOVE this trade.. I've seen Kassian a lot in Rochester and was just underwhelming relative to his hype. Foligno brings the physicality that Kassian was supposed to, albeit with less offensive upside.

I wouldn't say they're saying Vancouver got the better of the trade. They're just slanting their coverage more towards Vancouver since it's one of their Canadian markets.

Actually Ferraro and two of the others stated 'Vancouver got the better of the trade' when it was initially reported. The quotes seem to be balancing out more in the later coverage, though a lot of that may be because they just had Hodgson on the phone.

Yes, we're smaller. That said, we can definitely still trade Roy this summer. If we have Hodgsen, Ennis, and Adam as our top 3 centers, why do we need Roy? We can deal him for some toughness. (I'm still dreaming about the Roy for Ryan Clowe deal someone around here was talking about a few weeks back.)

This trade really depends on what Marcus Foligno turns into. If he's the power forward we want him to be, we're OK. If not, we're in a lot of trouble with toughness. Kaleta and Tropp are tough but not big. It's not clear to me what McNabb and Foligno can do long term. Myers?

We'll need to see how he adjusts to drawing a little more attention now that he's not playing behind the Sedins. We might as well try to build instant chemistry with Vanek though.

Excellent point and you're absolutely right. He's just a rookie getting minimal minutes in Vancouver and I would be surprised if he played top line minutes for any length of time although stranger things have happened. It would be great to have him and Vanek gel right away but I'm willing to give the kid some time.

GO SABRES!!!

Actually Ferraro and two of the others stated 'Vancouver got the better of the trade' when it was initially reported. The quotes seem to be balancing out more in the later coverage, though a lot of that may be because they just had Hodgson on the phone.

Yeah, Ferraro sounded a bit too excited over the whole thing. I'm wondering if Kassian may have crossed paths a few times with Landon Ferraro growing up.

I'm a little shocked by this. I'm a little sick actually. I figured Gaustad and Stafford could have gone. Maybe they view Stafford as damaged goods at this point since he has been in Buffalo for so long.

For anyone that thought I was full of crap saying that Vancouver figured out Lindy's system before even Lindy could figure out his system....this is now...

Pyatt

Bernier

Torres

Mancari

Kassian

Pretty much any forward over 200 lbs who doesn't have 3% body fat and can't beat James Patrick at the cone drill by more than 1 second.

But none of those guys has done diddly since Vancouver picked them up. What point are you making here?

i will reserve judgment, but color me intrigued.

i have been underwhelmed by what we saw from kassian. maybe my expectations were set too high. maybe lindy's system was stifling him. but i don't feel like we gave away too much to get a promising young center.

I've seen flashes of great potential from Kassian, but that's it. Still, this feels awfully early to be giving up on him. Hodgson needs to be a very good player in order for this to prove out as a good trade.