Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Hodgson in between Vanek and Parise. Please?

I just got what the Frenchies call a frisson.

Unfortunately, since Roy/Stafford/Leopold are still on the team, there isn't enough cap space for Parise.

He played 1:50 per game on a very good power-play.

The kid is not void of talent, you have to weigh it against what a Kassian can bring. If both players maximized their 'potential", Kassian would be the more prized prospect.

And this is what the trade comes down to. Kassian at his best is Lucic. We'd all rather have Lucic than Krejci. One assumes that the opinion of the guys who do this for a living for the Sabres is that Kassian was unlikely to reach his full potential.

The kid is not void of talent, you have to weigh it against what a Kassian can bring. If both players maximized their 'potential", Kassian would be the more prized prospect.

Except on this team. where centers are sorely needed.

I have been disappointed with Kassian, I thought he would come in and raise hell but he was barely noticeable.

I think Hodgson will be given his shot with Vanek almost immediately. There is no question what the goal is with this move. He was brought in to be an eventual number one center. He will be given that shot.

I hope you're right, but I have no confidence in Lindy doing the right thing.

Not sure what this means?

It means that I can't call this DR's best trade ever. I'm not even close to calling it that. Although I hope that someday, I am calling it that.

More prized than a #1 center? <_<

PTR

I'm w/ you there.

• Like (+1) 1

Who would rather have, a #1 center or Lucic? I'll take Lucic.

I'll take half the #1 centers in the league... including but not limited too... Stamkos, malkin, Sedin, Thorton, and even Krejci and thats just the really really good ones...

Edited by LGR4GM

Unfortunately, since Roy/Stafford/Leopold are still on the team, there isn't enough cap space for Parise.

And this is what the trade comes down to. Kassian at his best is Lucic. We'd all rather have Lucic than Krejci. One assumes that the opinion of the guys who do this for a living for the Sabres is that Kassian was unlikely to reach his full potential.

Who's opinion would you trust more, the Canucks front office or the Sabres?

I'm not saying Hodgson will be a bust. I think the Sabres gave up too much of what they are already low on for a player that seems like more of what they have already.

On the first point - there's always the offseason, when teams have less cap restrictions and less pressure to make a deal.

with all due respect, I am starting more & more to think that is opinion has become one of the most overused cliches on this board ........

+1

I think i like this. I agree with other people on the fact that size is easier to add than top centres. I think with more playing time he will blossom. He is also a good 2-way player (which is something i like)

I don't care about MAG, glad he is gone, never liked him.

Ennis/Hodgie/Adam gives us a nice young core all from the same draft. I also wanna resign Goose.

Who's opinion would you trust more, the Canucks front office or the Sabres?

I'm not saying Hodgson will be a bust. I think the Sabres gave up too much of what they are already low on for a player that seems like more of what they have already.

We shall see. Despite GoDD's repeated assertions, it's not like the Canucks have been proven right on any of the other big forwards they've gotten from the Sabres. Not one.

My initial reaction was similar to the bolded part. As I said it does seem like they're giving up on Kassian awfully early in his career. OTOH, perhaps they're just selling him at his peak value. There's certainly a good likelihood that Hodgson has a better career than Kassian does.

Who would rather have, a #1 center or Lucic? I'll take Lucic.

I definately would rather have Lucic too, but he was not available.

IMO, Kassian was never going to be a Lucic. So, I would take Hodgson over Kassian. I really think this kid will be the #1 centre we have been dreaming of for a long time.

i hate to see kassian go as it seemed to me he was doing more thinking than reacting and playing. once he has more exposure and begins reacting instead of thinking i think he will be that power forward with immense skill and toughness. The sabres for sure need skilled centers but i think they need skilled big tough guys more. Not saying anything bad about hodgeson but if he was a 3rd line center playing against 3line talent and 5 and 6 defensemen how well is he going to do against 1st liners and the defense top pairing.

a team full of hodgesons will not beat the bruins but a team full of kassians might.

Edited by Freakpop

I think Hodgson will be more than Krejci BTW...much better shot and scoring upside IMO.

Here's the difference in my opinion....You can balance lines without a tough winger, but you can't balance lines without centers. Buffalo for too long has been trying to convert wings to center to balance lines. This kid immediately balances your lines....and is cheaper than any UFA options.

It also positions Buffalo nicely in the draft. Two first round picks without the need to reach for a pick that isn't there at center.

Edited by X. Benedict
  • Like (+1) 1

i hate to see kassian go as it seemed to me he was doing more thinking than reacting and playing. once he has more exposure and begins reacting instead of thinking i think he will be that power forward with immense skill and toughness. The sabres for sure need skilled centers but i think they need skilled big tough guys more. Not saying anything bad about hodgeson but if he was a 3rd line center playing against 3line talent and 5 and 6 defensemen how well is he going to do against 1st liners and the defense top pairing.

a team full of hodgesons will not beat the bruins but a team full of kassians might.

Now he'll get more ice time, and will most likely be surrounded by better linemates. We shall see.

I think Hodgson will be more than Krejci BTW...much better shot and scoring upside IMO.

Here's the difference in my opinion....You can balance lines without a tough winger, but you can't balance lines without centers. Buffalo for too long has been trying to convert wings to center to balance lines. This kid immediately balances your lines....and is cheaper than any UFA options.

It also positions Buffalo nicely in the draft. Two first round picks without the need to reach for a pick that isn't there at center.

I love having two 1st round picks. That was a great get for Regier. Especially if he can package them together and move up in the draft.

This is an absolutely false statement. I team full of players with 80pt potential or a team full of players who may be physical... hmmm

IMHO Kassian will pan out to be a strong (not physical) 50pt a year rw similar to stafford and Hodgson will be a 70pt a year 2way player akin to Pommers... LOVE THIS TRADE STILL

Stop reading my thoughts, D! I was thinking about this just now as well. If the Sabres decide to take a defenseman with their first pick, it won't be the end of the world now.

Griffin Reinhardt is a big defenseman and Mark Pysyk's teammate in Edmonton. We could pick him up. Or if there's a miracle and Filip Forsberg is there for us, we can take him as a LW too.

I'd love to pick up Henrik Samuelsson with the late 1st round pick.