Feel free to bash me...I want the Sabres to miss the playoffs!

LabattBlue

Win or lose?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres win the rest or lose the rest?

• WIN
    • Lose

My theory isn't a theory.

I'm just pointing out that the Avs and Pens disagree with your point, that sucking for years in order to stockpile picks and build a cup winner from there is ludicrous.

And I'm also pointing out that I'm not laughing at them.

And I was also pointing out that most Cup winners didn't go that route. The couple that did were terrible teams to start with so it was easy to finish last in the league. They didn't purposely lose to draft high. Did the Wings, Flyers, Bruins and now maybe the Rangers build through the draft to the extent of the Pens and Avs? No.

It doesn't matter anymore.

The only reason I would want them to collapse is to get Regier, Ruff, and the core out of here. Pegula is obviously dug in with all his merry men, judging by the smugness coming from Darcy and Ted Black.

Let them sneak in by a point, let them lose 20 in a row.....whatever.

I look at this team sort of like I would an obnoxious, worthless sister-in-law. I want to slap her in the face, but it's my brother's wife and mother of his kids, so I have to shrug and give whatever support I can muster up. But I will dance in the streets the day he divorces that b!tch. (I do not have a brother before the lolipop gang on here gets their panties in a bunch).

You sir, are King of the Castle.

Absolutely outstanding ... I will +1 this post tomorrow.

It doesn't matter anymore.

The only reason I would want them to collapse is to get Regier, Ruff, and the core out of here. Pegula is obviously dug in with all his merry men, judging by the smugness coming from Darcy and Ted Black.

Let them sneak in by a point, let them lose 20 in a row.....whatever.

I look at this team sort of like I would an obnoxious, worthless sister-in-law. I want to slap her in the face, but it's my brother's wife and mother of his kids, so I have to shrug and give whatever support I can muster up. But I will dance in the streets the day he divorces that b!tch. (I do not have a brother before the lolipop gang on here gets their panties in a bunch).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48

Funny I always thought they said lollipop gang until I found the youtube. They are the lollipop guild. I learned something today.

That blue one looks hard as f*ck. Get it done Darcy!

The Green one looks like Marv Levy.

It's curious, isn't it? Given the supposedly tyrannical rule of the Wicked Witches East/West, they allowed the munchkins to unionize?

Funny Stuff

Make this a public poll to out the unsportsmanlike cowards that think intentionally losing is any way to improve a team.

I will out myself, so to speak (not that there is anything wrong with that) ... I voted lose.

... but, the OP and poll do not state anything about intentionally losing, although one could argue that is the implication. I do not want intentional losing, but my view/hope is that if they do lose out it may help bring about the real changes to the Sabres that I am looking for.

Who cares how many years they needed to endure, in case you didn't notice - We've been the laughing stock of the NHL for quite a while now, as Buffalo is notorious for being a place nobody wants to play.

Both the Avs and Pens won multiple cups.

I'm not laughing at them. Are you?

The Pens didn't lose on purpose to get their picks. You also have to have the picks. Can anyone say that this years or next years #1 pick is going to be be Crosby/Malkin? Sure people are high on the top of the class but still.. are any of the players THAT good? Crosby is a phenomenon....

The Avs are even more one off. Their winning was rooted in the draft for Lindros when they were in Quebec. Since Lindros was a moron and didn't want to play in Quebec they were able to trade him for a mass of players. Hell, if you look at what the Rangers were willing to give up you could argue that even if the trade had been to NYR instead of PHI they would have likely won. The best part is that the team moved shortly thereafter to the US and Lindros' entire complaint about playing in Quebec was nullified. You can't argue that the hockey gods had the last laugh on that one!

If Buffalo is the laughing stock the NHL why were they #1 for the Winter Classic? I think the previous owners didn't endure themselves to players but laughing stock? The Islanders, Panthers, Lightning (until last year), Coyotes, and Thrashers (until the move) I think topped Buffalo for hell in the NHL. It's not going to worse in Buffalo now. If there is one thing I think Pegula is doing absolutely right is improving the image of Buffalo inside the NHL.

Even paraphrased, I interpret that as a BS way of saying "I don't know where we're at, let's how this weekend goes."

Truthfully I'm not sure many GM's know where the hell they are at and need this weekend to decide. I'll adopt an unusual stance of remaining optimistic that we will see players moved.

And I was also pointing out that most Cup winners didn't go that route. The couple that did were terrible teams to start with so it was easy to finish last in the league. They didn't purposely lose to draft high. Did the Wings, Flyers, Bruins and now maybe the Rangers build through the draft to the extent of the Pens and Avs? No.

Detroit certainly did get their start to dominance by sucking. They sucked so bad they got to draft Steve Yzerman at #4, Joe Murphy at #1 who was shrewdly moved, and the "good" Primeau at #3. And then they were very quickly on there way to a dynasty. They sustained it through excellent management but it took a decade of gawd awful play to get the resources needed to start the ball rolling.

And the Bruins had their suck year that resulted in Kessel at #5. Yeah, Kessel isn't with them, but the fruits of that bad season resulted in assets that paid off in a Stanley Cup.

The Flyers got JVR at #2 overall after their worst season in team history. No JVR isn't all world but it's hard to say the team didn;t suck before building the current team when they did in fact suck before building the current team.

I'm not saying sucking is the only way to win a cup, but it is hard not to notice that many, many teams used sucking to collect that first piece needed. Of course, Edmonton and NYI will show that sucking doesn't work if your management is lousy too. At the end of the day you need talent acroos the board and shrewd management that can foresee opportunities to turn resources into depth at all positions. And really, IMO that last phrase about mgt is the most critical factor in building a cup contender.

Make this a public poll to out the unsportsmanlike cowards that think intentionally losing is any way to improve a team.

There are no cowards here. I'll bet if you thought about it for a moment you'd be able to pick out who voted lose. They have been very upfront about their feelings on the subject to date.

Oooooo...... name calling. :rolleyes:

... I'm not saying sucking is the only way to win a cup, but it is hard not to notice that many, many teams used sucking to collect that first piece needed. Of course, Edmonton and NYI will show that sucking doesn't work if your management is lousy too. At the end of the day you need talent acroos the board and shrewd management that can foresee opportunities to turn resources into depth at all positions. And really, IMO that last phrase about mgt is the most critical factor in building a cup contender.

It did work for both those teams ... I am old enough to remember both sucked extremely badly before they won almost all the cups awarded in the 80's.

Since then both have just sucked with no indication that the suckage this time will ultimately lead to more cups.

Detroit certainly did get their start to dominance by sucking. They sucked so bad they got to draft Steve Yzerman at #4, Joe Murphy at #1 who was shrewdly moved, and the "good" Primeau at #3. And then they were very quickly on there way to a dynasty. They sustained it through excellent management but it took a decade of gawd awful play to get the resources needed to start the ball rolling.

And the Bruins had their suck year that resulted in Kessel at #5. Yeah, Kessel isn't with them, but the fruits of that bad season resulted in assets that paid off in a Stanley Cup.

The Flyers got JVR at #2 overall after their worst season in team history. No JVR isn't all world but it's hard to say the team didn;t suck before building the current team when they did in fact suck before building the current team.

I'm not saying sucking is the only way to win a cup, but it is hard not to notice that many, many teams used sucking to collect that first piece needed. Of course, Edmonton and NYI will show that sucking doesn't work if your management is lousy too. At the end of the day you need talent acroos the board and shrewd management that can foresee opportunities to turn resources into depth at all positions. And really, IMO that last phrase about mgt is the most critical factor in building a cup contender.

It took the Red Wings 15 years to win a cup after Ilitch bought them. 15 years. And while I commend his ability to right the ship and set a new standard, is anyone around here willing to wait 15 years for Pegula to do the same? Not likely.

GO SABRES!!!

I look at it this way: We aren't good enough to win the Cup this year. So let's do something to help win in the future. You can't ask the players to roll over and lose on purpose (because that's insane) but we should still have the fire sale that we've needed for a couple years already. Yes, it sucks to take a step back but problems usually don't get solved until people admit that they exist.

If we want the team to be good long term, the best way is to do that is to take advantage of the seller's market we have this month and move guys like Gaustad, Leopold, Boyes, Stafford, Roy, etc. If Kassian, Brennan, Tropp, McNabb, etc. somehow lead us to a miraculous run to 8th, who's going to complain about that? We'll lose the high draft pick but we'll know we have some talent in the "new core."

But the last thing I want is for the Sabres to keep all their veterans because they're hoping for another miracle run to 8th. That's not how Stanley Cups are won (lowest seed to ever win the Cup was a 5 seed) and it doesn't help us for the future either.

But then again, I never said their approach was ludicrous, did I?

But the answer to whether or not it's easy for the Sabres to finish last to draft high is in the eye of the beholder, since it depends on whether you believe they're a terrible team or not.

Point is, losing out to draft high has been done succesfully in recent years - Keeping the same management team around for 15 years? Well, no so much in recent years.

Archived