Feel free to bash me...I want the Sabres to miss the playoffs!

LabattBlue

Win or lose?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres win the rest or lose the rest?

• WIN
    • Lose

I've been a fan of the Sabres since their inception. I know many of you are going to tell me to go find another team to cheer for, blah, blah, blah, but this is how I feel.

- I don't want the Sabres to make the playoffs.

- I want DR & LR to get fired the day the season ends.

- I'd like the Sabres to be sellers in the next 72 hours...Gaustad, Boyes & Leopold.

- If Roy & Stafford are not dealt at the deadline, I want them traded in the off-season. BOTH OF THEM.

- I want a top 5 pick in the draft.

- This team does not have a single player I get excited to see play when I go to the games.

- The Sabres could be in 8th place two weeks from now, and my feelings would not change...AT ALL.

I'm putting on my thick skin right now. Feel free to fire away, cheap shot me....even agree with me if you please.

GO!

I've been a fan of the Sabres since their inception. I know many of you are going to tell me to go find another team to cheer for, blah, blah, blah, but this is how I feel.

- I'd like the Sabres to be sellers in the next 72 hours...Gaustad, Boyes & Leopold.

- If Roy & Stafford are not dealt at the deadline, I want them traded in the off-season. BOTH OF THEM.

- This team does not have a single player I get excited to see play when I go to the games.

- The Sabres could be in 8th place 2 weeks from now, and my feelings would not change...AT ALL.

I'm putting on my thick skin right now. Feel free to fire away, cheap shot me....even agree with me if you please.

GO!

I'm of two minds. On the one hand, I know this 2012 team can't win the Stanley Cup (I mean, yeah, in the grand scheme of sports crazier things have

happened, but I'd handicap our shot at a negligible amount above zero).

On the other hand, I have a visceral negative reaction to seeing the Sabres lose. If watching sports is for fun, and I can't have fun watching the Sabres lose, then I'll always want them to win.

- The Sabres could be in 8th place two weeks from now, and my feelings would not change...AT ALL.

GO!

You'll find you many more friends than foes.

A growing number of fans are tired of the Status Quo. Many of which bought into the idea that Pegula and Co. would do what's right and make the decisions needed to turn this franchise into a contender. Then ended up with Regier, Ruff and the same old product on the ice.

I don't disagree, but can I bash you anyway?

Sry, had to post that since no one else did.

The dissonance betwixt the heart and mind here is strong. No one likes watching their team lose; your brain needs to seize control of the emotion and make sense of loses. I think this team would be better off following Dr. Blue's prescription.

I understand what you're saying, but realistically, the only thing cheering for losing will accomplish is a draft pick. Ruff and Regier almost certainly aren't being fired after this season, Roy & Stafford probably aren't being dealt at the deadline (especially if we win tomorrow). So being terrible the rest of the season gets us a good pick and exciting prospect, that's about it. Even if we went into complete fire sale mode, I don't think we'd be bad enough to get a top 3 pick unless Miller's game falls apart again.

So I'm not going to really bash your perspective, I just think it's almost pointless to cheer for it when it will accomplish at best one of the things you want it to (draft pick), and to me, even the chances of that aren't that good. And frankly if we nabbed the #8 seed, I think we match up pretty well against the Rangers unless they manage to inject life into their offense with a Nash trade. Just from my perspective it's gotten to the point where hey, might as well cheer for a miracle run because the meaningful changes most of us feel are necessary aren't coming anyway.

Edit: Another note on the draft pick. This draft is really deep, but lacks the absolute top end forward talent that could help us immediately. No matter what we'd have a very low shot at Yakupov, the scout's take on Grigorenko on TSN scares the crap out of me, and that's about it for elite forwards. Galchenyuk may be available at the back end of the top 10 (or later) because of the injury, guys like Faksa will be available near the back of the top 10. And those are spots that it's not THAT hard to trade up for on draft day.....for a normal GM.

I would accept good effort for the rest of the games with selling off the free loaders to make room for the young blood to come in and also for a high draft pick. But the hockey player in me just can't root for losing. Accept it as a by product of this season and getting rid of some players sure.

GO!

Not sure much of the fanbase disagrees with you, from reading this and other forums, twitter and friends. We are NOT making the playoffs. It's silly to even think about that. Miller has been 8-2-2 in his last 12 games, Leafs have lost 7 out of 8, and we're still 4 points out of 10th to surpass the Leafs. We're due to hit a bump in the road somewhere, and Leafs, Caps, Jets are still due to go on a little bit of a win streak.

Making any type of trade besides selling, would be organization suicide. Trading draft picks and prospects to try to fix our problems on the fly, for hopes to finish 8th? Then what do you do? We'll be worn out by playing playoff hockey from Feb on, and for our great run, we get the NYR or Boston in round one. A 5 game series at best which we would be send home. With less prospects and less picks to work with to improve.

Trade Leopold, Roy, Stafford, Boyes and Goose. Collect draft picks and younger, underachieving forwards. Try to find the next "Briere". And collect picks, and try to make moves in the draft to move up or trade some picks for parts for next season.

The price of a buyer at the deadline is extremely high. Just look at the Zidlicky trade.

I agree with most of what you say Blue. I absolutely hate seeing my team lose but I hate the deficiencies in the team that Darcys assembled. I like hard nosed hockey and teams that go to war for each other. I don't see this team surviving four seven game series never mind one. I don't necessarily like Lindys coaching style or the way he manages certain players but he plays with the cards he's dealt and for the most part this team is lacking in many areas. I would like to see a retool rather than a full blown rebuild and by that I mean breaking up darcys beloved core. I don't want Darcy to be the guy to do that retool but by all accounts it looks like he has Pegulas support. If losing can change that I could put up with more losing. Most of all I want to feel the pride I felt in being a sabres fan during the Drury and Brier years. Now that was a team you could get behind. I would like to add that I've never hoped for this team to lose. Hoping for them to lose and saying" if they lose it would be o.k. if change happens because of it", are two different things. I'll always cheer this team on no matter how pathetic they are. I've done a lot of that in the last 40 years.

Win, lose, make the playoffs, miss the playoffs, what difference does it make? I think it's about time we all just give it up and learn to passively wait for the butterfly to flap its wings in China, all other teams to get stranded at the airport on game day or struck down with team-wide botchulism. So long as ahundred random events occur in perfect succession, that Cup is flipping OURS.

Nobody who ever wants their team to miss the playoffs or lose on purpose has the right to celebrate any future successes.

I am so disgusted with this line of thinking.

Thank you!!!

People say this team is weak, people say this team doesn't have heart, people say this team can't overcome adversity. But last year they came from last in the conference at one point, had the best record in the East the 2nd half of the season and got into the playoffs. This year they had a small excuse for playing poorly for a couple of months. Now IF by some small chance they happen to pull of the same feat as last year doesn't that in and of itself contradict the bold print?

Losing for a better pick is ludicrous!! Wanting to lose for a better pick even more so. Getting a better pick does NOT guaranty you a better player. This team does not need to be torn apart to be successful next year.

You will not find ANY team in ANY professional sport that will give 100% every single game. GET OVER IT!

GO!

See no reason to flame you or cheapshot you.

Guess that means I agree.

Losing for a better pick is ludicrous!! Wanting to lose for a better pick even more so. Getting a better pick does NOT guaranty you a better player. T1

The Avs and Penguins disagree with you.

Though I agree that picking high doesn't guarantee a top player.

Especially if Darcy picks him, and Lindy's supposed to "develop" him.

The Avs and Penguins disagree with you.

Though I agree that picking high doesn't guarantee a top player.

Especially if Darcy picks him, and Lindy's supposed to "develop" him.

And how many years did they have to endure being the laughing stock of the NHL to get those picks? Do you think the Oilers will share the same success in a couple of years?

Some people will just never be happy.

I think Blue's got some rather reasonable gripes. After all, he said that he's been a fan of the team since its inception, which is pretty much saying that he's seen it all. From the posts I've read from him, he normally doesn't rant and rave about the team's woes with a perpetual myopic pessimism like a couple of other posters out there (you know who you are). Seems to me like he's blowing off some steam.

At the same time, I know it can be hard to keep the perspective that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Yet, it's all in all possible that our time will come. I just don't know when that time will be.

My thinking at this point is that team will not make the playoffs, we have 14 road games left and we''ll have to win at least half of them, plus go without a loss at home (just guesstimating) to get in. I try to tell myself losing is best for the team, but I can never bring myself to root against the Sabres, but if I knew that losing the rest guaranteed the dismissal of Darcy and Lindy, I would be cheering for the opposition every game till that happened. If the reason for the Sabres existence to to win the Stanley Cup, then the first step is to rid itself of Darcy and Lindy.

GO!

I can't support this. NHL Playoff hockey is about getting hot to win 16 games in about 25 played. Any team can ride a hot goalie and a few timely goals. The way Miller is playing of late, he can carry this team into and in the playoffs.

It is hard for me to imagine TP blowing up the team the way you suggest. I just don't see that kind of turnover happening.

And it is just not in my nature to root for the negative in hope for a positive.

Archived