Feel free to bash me...I want the Sabres to miss the playoffs!

LabattBlue

Win or lose?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres win the rest or lose the rest?

• WIN
    • Lose

Firstly, i agree about separating Quinn/non-quinn. But it appears that for whatever reaso, Darcy has gotten better at drafting top talent (has our head scout changed?) We had about a decade of mediocre picks in the first and second round. Had we had even one become a star we would be in a nicer position. Even Vanek is not top flight talent.

I think recently he has proved his worth as a GM.

Boyes - this seemed like a good trade at the time, a 2nd for a player who looked like he just needed a change of scene, but hind sight showed us it was a Cheechoo thing.

Erhoff - Can't flaw this in my opinion

Leino - Seems like a stupid decision, but i'd give him another year as maybe he just needed to settle in?

Regehr and a 2nd - absolute steal

Stafford - Meh, he showed potential to earn that contract down the stretch, again too early to completely throw in the towel

Goose 1st - Absolute steal

Coho/Kass - Seems like a good trade to me, i am not sure Kass will become the power forward he could, but what do i know - plus we needed depth at centre. Coho is also a solid two way guy, something i like in my team (hence why i want Hecht back for like $1.5mil)

Sulzer/Grag - Damn good trade

That is a pretty good recent record

Boyes- On a team desperate for grit at the time this was on Boyes resume from juniors: 2000–01: OHL William Hanley Trophy (Most Gentlemanly Player)

Regehr- love his style, wish he was five years younger and still in his prime, he is showing signs of slowing down, Darcy deserves credit for short contract

Stafford's been around a long time and lacks consistency in a big way. Question his grit, and both these things were in play before signing

Grags was a hot commodity at this time last year in this town after playoffs and bombed this year, jury out on Sulzer after short stay.

Gerbe- extension? at least it didn't cost much

Hecht- should retire for his own health

Rest of your assessment, I would agree with. None of these moves improved our size or grit.( Regehr yes, over-all, no) In all, it makes Darcy average or a little above imho

Boyes- On a team desperate for grit at the time this was on Boyes resume from juniors: 2000–01: OHL William Hanley Trophy (Most Gentlemanly Player)

Actually, on a team desperate for offense, they added a player who topped the 40 goal mark in recent years. That was the thought with Boyes. Just because they needed grit doesn't mean that's the only type of player they could add to the roster. The error in adding Boyes had absolutely nothing to do with his grit.

Actually, on a team desperate for offense, they added a player who topped the 40 goal mark in recent years. That was the thought with Boyes. Just because they needed grit doesn't mean that's the only type of player they could add to the roster. The error in adding Boyes had absolutely nothing to do with his grit.

Actually, I think his grit is a factor in his scoring. He doesn't like to go into the tough places on the ice to score, and the league has evolved, making that a necessity. He didn't have to score like that with regularity a few years ago when he got those numbers.

Actually, I think his grit is a factor in his scoring. He doesn't like to go into the tough places on the ice to score, and the league has devolved back, making that a necessity. He didn't have to score like that with regularity a few years ago when he got those numbers.

fixed

Actually, I think his grit is a factor in his scoring. He doesn't like to go into the tough places on the ice to score, and the league has evolved, making that a necessity. He didn't have to score like that with regularity a few years ago when he got those numbers.

I credit his high scoring seasons to the fact that Keith Tkachuk was his center. Also, the tough places on the ice aren't the parts you score from, so I don't really understand the point you're trying to make there.

EDIT: I also credit his high scoring seasons to magic after watching him play this season.

in 2007-2008 Boyes was granted a record 85 penalty shots. That's how he got to 43 goals.

He got more than one a game????? That is insane, plus you earn a penalty shot, so he may have got those goal totals had he not been interfered with. Whatever he was doing to get that many, he was doing right

I credit his high scoring seasons to the fact that Keith Tkachuk was his center. Also, the tough places on the ice aren't the parts you score from, so I don't really understand the point you're trying to make there.

EDIT: I also credit his high scoring seasons to magic after watching him play this season.

Look at the players who thrived after the lockout, he was merely one of those. There are precious few who's success has carried on now that the game has changed again.

Archived