Feel free to bash me...I want the Sabres to miss the playoffs!

LabattBlue

Win or lose?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Sabres win the rest or lose the rest?

• WIN
    • Lose

See no reason to flame you or cheapshot you.

Guess that means I agree.

The Avs and Penguins disagree with you.

Though I agree that picking high doesn't guarantee a top player.

Especially if Darcy picks him, and Lindy's supposed to "develop" him.

You can add Chicago to that list.

See no reason to flame you or cheapshot you.

Guess that means I agree.

The Avs and Penguins disagree with you.

Though I agree that picking high doesn't guarantee a top player.

Especially if Darcy picks him, and Lindy's supposed to "develop" him.

It comes down to looking at your team realistically and being honest with yourself. It is good to see that so many posters are able to see this team for what they are and see exactly where they are in comparison to being a Stanley Cup contender.

Right now the Sabres are in some sort of hockey limbo. They are neither a Cup Contender or rebuilding. Until they are willing to replace the excuses with actions I don't see anything changing in the future.

And how many years did they have to endure being the laughing stock of the NHL to get those picks? Do you think the Oilers will share the same success in a couple of years?

The Oilers have some amazing young talent and are in a great position Cap wise. I would much rather the Sabres be in their position than where the Sabres currently are, which is nowhere.

It comes down to looking at your team realistically and being honest with yourself. It is good to see that so many posters are able to see this team for what they are and see exactly where they are in comparison to being a Stanley Cup contender.

Right now the Sabres are in some sort of hockey limbo. They are neither a Cup Contender or rebuilding. Until they are willing to replace the excuses with actions I don't see anything changing in the future.

They are stuck in Bills w Dick Jauron mode. Perpetually mediocre.

You can add Chicago to that list.

It's not as much about hitting on a couple of big time prospects as it is about smartly managing assets and maximizing opportunities when they arise. I have zero faith that Regier is capable of either.

They are stuck in Bills w Dick Jauron mode. Perpetually mediocre.

Exactly!

Darcy and Lindy AINT goin anywhere so suck it up and enjoy some winning hockey. There is little doubt in my mind that making the playoffs or playing better hockey will change what management does. Paul Hamilton, who's been the beat guy forever continues to say that the coach and GM will not get fired regardless if they lost every game from here on out. As far as the draft goes, there's a few teams we're not catching for the basement (without a significant injury) and it's my belief that the draft is a crapshoot after selection 4. We do enough b*tching when they're losing, stop b*tching when they win.

Nobody who ever wants their team to miss the playoffs or lose on purpose has the right to celebrate any future successes.

I am so disgusted with this line of thinking.

LOL Who do you think you are that you get to choose who celebrates? Get over yourself. You are merely one point of view among thousands.

Not that your point isn't salient, but there are plenty on "Team Storm Cloud" who scoff openly at the team's cheerleaders.

Agreed. And when they do they take their lumps for it. They don't proclaim who deserves to celebrate, and that was what I was reacting to.

You'll find you many more friends than foes.

A growing number of fans are tired of the Status Quo. Many of which bought into the idea that Pegula and Co. would do what's right and make the decisions needed to turn this franchise into a contender. Then ended up with Regier, Ruff and the same old product on the ice.

Don't we have this argument every December about the Bills?

I HATE these arguments. I understand we're all sick of the status quo (I am, too), but what kind of fans are we if we root for our favorite team to lose?

And before you answer that, don't think for a millisecond that I don't understand why. I get it...but I won't be caught dead rooting against the Sabres.

So what if they sell AND the kids continue to climb in the standings? That would make the future look a little brighter.

That would be great.

On the other hand, I'm worried that they're going to win tonight and decide that they can't possibly afford to sell anyone at the deadline. So they keep Gaustad, Leopold, etc. (maybe trade Boyes) and pull all their hopes on another miraculous run to 8th place. So we don't win the Cup this year (because no one lower than a 5th seed has ever won the Cup) and we're no closer to winning the Cup next year or beyond.

That would be great.

On the other hand, I'm worried that they're going to win tonight and decide that they can't possibly afford to sell anyone at the deadline. So they keep Gaustad, Leopold, etc. (maybe trade Boyes) and pull all their hopes on another miraculous run to 8th place. So we don't win the Cup this year (because no one lower than a 5th seed has ever won the Cup) and we're no closer to winning the Cup next year or beyond.

If the organization is basing their entire decision on deadline moves based on one game then we're in bigger trouble than we thought.

I don't know what to think. It seems like we are never truly awful enough to get a top 5 draft pick, never good enough to win it all, and not desirable enough to attract the best free agents. I guess we'll have to wait and see what management can do in the next couple of years. I'm still hopeful that good moves can be made in the next couple of years given the 3 year cup timeline made by Pegula.

The Oilers have some amazing young talent and are in a great position Cap wise. I would much rather the Sabres be in their position than where the Sabres currently are, which is nowhere.

If you were looking at the Sabres and the Bills from the outside you might think that they are almost a microcosm of the city they represent. Not quite ######, not quite great.. mediocre and unassuming from year to year. Limbo.

Also, the Oilers problem will be paying that talent as it all matures at once. Some of them will have to go.

Added poll.

I cheered against the Bills. I'm not a real fan of them anyway.

I just can't root for the Sabres to lose.

That's where I am at. I can't root for them to lose. If you have an organization that can accept that as a philosophy then I think you have to question whether it can ever be great. It's one thing to give away some pieces that temporarily set you back for the long term gain but out and out wanting to lose is awful. We're not even talking about trading the team's best assets here. Still, losing.. wanting to lose, I can't get behind that.

That would make the future alot brighter actually.

And that's what i hope for. I would like to see the team make space to bring back Adam, Foligno, and McNabb this year (especially McNabb). If that leads to winning, then great. It leads to losses, that's fine too because next year's players are getting the experience they need.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it assumes all we have to do is fire LR and DR and all our problems are solved. As if LR and DR have never gotten this team to competitive. I'm not saying changes aren't needed, but the idea that we have to scuttle the season to make it happen in ludicrous.

PTR

If the organization is basing their entire decision on deadline moves based on one game then we're in bigger trouble than we thought.

Unfortunately, I DO think we're in that type of trouble. Regier's job will seem a lot more secure if we make a miraculous playoff run, or even make a run that just falls short. Lends credence to the idea that it was all just those gosh darn injuries.

A firesale would be admitting that we'd failed as a franchise. Do you really think our GM (of 15 years) wants to do that? Or that he wouldn't look for any excuse not to do that? It's human nature.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it assumes all we have to do is fire LR and DR and all our problems are solved. As if LR and DR have never gotten this team to competitive. I'm not saying changes aren't needed, but the idea that we have to scuttle the season to make it happen in ludicrous.

PTR

Noone is suggesting that *all* we need to do is fire a coach or GM. In fact, I think pretty much everyone who wants big change has suggested that firing DR is just the beginning and that a good bit more change than just that is needed.

And if you think an idea is ludicrous how about opening yourself up to the same criticism and offering up your own idea of how it gets done?

Archived