Buyers or Sellers?

LGR4GM

The best indicator of present / future behavior is past behavior. Therefore, we all know what is going to happen. I have resigned myself to that fact and would be extremely shocked if anything substantial were to happen on, or before, 3:00 PM EST on Monday, February 27, 2012.

Black also addressed a caller who essentially made this point (referring to the 14+ years of Darcy's legacy that fans are going off of) and (paraphrasing) said that Pegula/Black's experience with Darcy has only been this past year and thus that is the period by which they're judging his performance.

Black also addressed a caller who essentially made this point (referring to the 14+ years of Darcy's legacy that fans are going off of) and (paraphrasing) said that Pegula/Black's experience with Darcy has only been this past year and thus that is the period by which they're judging his performance.

Well, if they are judging by the last 12 months there should be a pretty decent case for replacement getting built. :angel:

Well, if they are judging by the last 12 months there should be a pretty decent case for replacement getting built. :angel:

No way. I still don't believe anyone thought the Sabres would be this bad at the beginning of the season. What happened during the season is a different story. You can blame Regier but you'd be incorrect. He built a team that by most people's accounts should have challenged for the top spots. This from NHL analysts, and many fans believed too. Anyone can claim they were a non-believer but truthfully the team theoretically had what it took to get there. But it didn't...

Now you judge Regier on what he does in response to the team that didn't achieve. We aren't aware of much that was possible throughout the year. We'll be aware of the trades that occur in the next few days. We can judge on that. We'll be aware of what happens after the season and judge on that.

On to Gaustad. So this was a Yahoo Hockey writer reporting this possibility. I suppose if you have no faith in the team you might discount this next statement but here goes...

If you wanted to drive up value in the market a bit more wouldn't it make sense to let other teams know that you might take Gaustad off the market with an extension? You could at least see if anyone bites in response to the "news".

If he is re-signed him we can see what he signed for and judge. If he's kept and do nothing ,we can call Darcy a moron. If he's traded we can judge on the trade and what happens July 1.

A trade should have been made in November or December. However, we've waited this long, I think the value of any and all players increases until Monday. Unless a great deal is on the table, let the bidding war begin. I'm glad Black made some form of reference to us not HAVING to make the playoffs and thus seeing the long term benefit to selling off some pieces over the next four days.

Ted Black is Larry Quinn with a Coke and a Smile.

I had high hopes. He said the franchise was "At a Crossroads" on Dec 31st, 3 weeks after it was obvious things weren't good. They have done NOTHING!!!! but send down McNabb and Adam.

What will you do if you are wrong and DR moves out some bodies?

I had high hopes. He said the franchise was "At a Crossroads" on Dec 31st, 3 weeks after it was obvious things weren't good. They have done NOTHING!!!! but send down McNabb and Adam.

Ted Black is the face of Pegula and does not evaluate any players or decide on where resources should be spent. What more do you want from him of all people.

As he's said all along.. this isn't Xbox. There has to be someone who wants your trash. The path could have been set back then and we just don't know it. 1 year in and you already want to turn Ted Black into some version of Larry Quinn? It's gotta be tough hating on things so much. Why even bother expending energy on the team? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm serious. I assume that deep down you want the team to do well but if you are already convinced the team president is a moron then wouldn't it make more sense to check back after Black is fired?

They had to send down McNabb. Adam was an easy call I guess. He had fallen out of a spot in the line up. Having him play 4th line center is a waste developmentally. I'm hoping they move a D to open a spot for McNabb because he is one of the bright spots..

The best indicator of present / future behavior is past behavior.

That is only true if there hasn't been a fundamental change to the underlying system. There has been a change: a new owner and a new President. That doesn't mean that the remaining parts won't still "drive the bus", but the values of empirical analysis is diminished in the wake of change. Obviously, had TP change the GM/coach, then that change would be likely to have led to a fundamental shift in philosophy, but it can't be totally ruled out yet. Some of this Summer's moves looked like more of the same, while some looked different. I'm not counting on it being different, but I'm not ruling it out either.

No way. I still don't believe anyone thought the Sabres would be this bad at the beginning of the season. What happened during the season is a different story. You can blame Regier but you'd be incorrect. He built a team that by most people's accounts should have challenged for the top spots. This from NHL analysts, and many fans believed too. Anyone can claim they were a non-believer but truthfully the team theoretically had what it took to get there. But it didn't...

A lot of fans liked the moves made on defense, which when healthy has been pretty good, but many were also very concerned about the lack of change up front. You are right that nobody believed that they would be this bad, but many doubted their forwards, their "core", could challenge for the Cup. I know people like to throw out the "injuries are no excuse" cliche, but they were ravaged by them for long stretches, which likely costing them a few spots in the standings. Play this season over several times and they likely finish in the playoffs more often than not, but also likely don't go far down the stretch. I'm not in the "blow the whole thing up" group, but I am of the opinion that they need to make changes in their top 9 forwards to really have a shot. Their best bet, long-term, is to turn players that shouldn't be here next year into assets (picks, players, prospects) that can help the team, directly or indirectly (e.g., picks can be traded later for players), in their pursuit of the Cup.

... On to Gaustad. So this was a Yahoo Hockey writer reporting this possibility. I suppose if you have no faith in the team you might discount this next statement but here goes...

If you wanted to drive up value in the market a bit more wouldn't it make sense to let other teams know that you might take Gaustad off the market with an extension? You could at least see if anyone bites in response to the "news".

If he is re-signed him we can see what he signed for and judge. If he's kept and do nothing ,we can call Darcy a moron. If he's traded we can judge on the trade and what happens July 1.

What if DR is taking a portion out of the NBA MO and is contemplating a sign and trade? Not that I think that is the case ... DR does not think that much, or at all, outside the box.

The best indicator of present / future behavior is past behavior. Therefore, we all know what is going to happen. I have resigned myself to that fact and would be extremely shocked if anything substantial were to happen on, or before, 3:00 PM EST on Monday, February 27, 2012.

Maybe he'll sign Goose by 2:30pm Monday... :flirt:

In retrospect, I just don't think much is going to happen here, they showed their hand when they pointed to injuries the best we could hope for is something changes come July 1st.

Of course, he also said that Darcy does his job, "the manager manages," so who knows what will happen.

That is only true if there hasn't been a fundamental change to the underlying system. ...

My post was directly related to the first underlined and bolded part.

IMO, with DR doing his job as GM as outlined by TB ... NOTHING has changed, fundamentally to the underlying system, or otherwise. Since, my post has a +2 rating it is obvious that at least two members of the board agree with my take.

A trade should have been made in November or December. However, we've waited this long, I think the value of any and all players increases until Monday. Unless a great deal is on the table, let the bidding war begin. I'm glad Black made some form of reference to us not HAVING to make the playoffs and thus seeing the long term benefit to selling off some pieces over the next four days.

Good post.

A lot of fans liked the moves made on defense, which when healthy has been pretty good, but many were also very concerned about the lack of change up front. You are right that nobody believed that they would be this bad, but many doubted their forwards, their "core", could challenge for the Cup. I know people like to throw out the "injuries are no excuse" cliche, but they were ravaged by them for long stretches, which likely costing them a few spots in the standings. Play this season over several times and they likely finish in the playoffs more often than not, but also likely don't go far down the stretch. I'm not in the "blow the whole thing up" group, but I am of the opinion that they need to make changes in their top 9 forwards to really have a shot. Their best bet, long-term, is to turn players that shouldn't be here next year into assets (picks, players, prospects) that can help the team, directly or indirectly (e.g., picks can be traded later for players), in their pursuit of the Cup.

Another one.

Now you judge Regier on what he does in response to the team that didn't achieve. We aren't aware of much that was possible throughout the year. We'll be aware of the trades that occur in the next few days. We can judge on that. We'll be aware of what happens after the season and judge on that.

On to Gaustad. So this was a Yahoo Hockey writer reporting this possibility. I suppose if you have no faith in the team you might discount this next statement but here goes...

As he's said all along.. this isn't Xbox. There has to be someone who wants your trash. The path could have been set back then and we just don't know it. 1 year in and you already want to turn Ted Black into some version of Larry Quinn? It's gotta be tough hating on things so much. Why even bother expending energy on the team? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm serious. I assume that deep down you want the team to do well but if you are already convinced the team president is a moron then wouldn't it make more sense to check back after Black is fired?

They had to send down McNabb. Adam was an easy call I guess. He had fallen out of a spot in the line up. Having him play 4th line center is a waste developmentally. I'm hoping they move a D to open a spot for McNabb because he is one of the bright spots..

I'm starting to think that the only thing you would get upset over, regarding the Sabres, is them actually winning the Cup.

I would not assume the bolded part at all. As more teams make trades the market for your players shrinks. As mentioned several times in recent days, how many teams with 2nd round picks in 2012 are left?

I would not assume the bolded part at all. As more teams make trades the market for your players shrinks. As mentioned several times in recent days, how many teams with 2nd round picks in 2012 are left?

I do, however, remember waking up one morning after the deadline and have over a page of transactions on NHL.com to read. Everything tends to happen at the last minute in sports, like people assume it's a ###### auction. Only the most average deals get done before hand. Like Gratton Briere (had to get that in there!).

I think you are directing that comment to wrong poster - there are several who live for and revel in misery.

We can't question Ruff.

We can't question Darcy.

We can't question Black.

We can't question Pegula.

I guess all the moves they've made have been the right ones and we should just sit back and wait for the Cup.

...makes for a pretty boring board, though...

Archived