Buyers or Sellers?

LGR4GM

I'm not going to assume that. Van may very well be happy with there roster and may not see anything in the market that improves them.

The bottom line is that there is a finite number of buyers. Even if we assume that every playoff team is a buyer, every deal made means there is one less buyer looking for something. If we use Jordan Leopold as an example, how many buying teams have already picked up a D-man? And how many teams have already traded their 2nd round pick for 2012? We already have a couple teams that are not going to be buyers because they've got their defenseman picked up and quite a few more that have already moved the pick that would be closest to Leopold's fair market value. So, what is left of the trade market for Jordan? It got real small.

Same concept applies at every other position. the longer you wait, the smaller the market.

It's supply and demand though. You are only considering demand. With each of those moves, there is one less Dman being shopped. I know a 2nd round pick seems to be the going rate for a fourth line / third pair type player but teams have considerably more assets than 2nd rounders.

Is he available?

He has taken 250+ less faceoffs then Gaustad and is 52% compared to Gaustad at 56%

Just throwing a name out there as a type of player that could replace Gaustad. I remember him and Paille dominating on the PK in the playoffs last year.

You can throw that f/o % stat in the trash. 2% better for a player that takes at most 15-20 a game. What does that amount to? Someting like an extra win every other game? Gaustad is a better player but not 2.5 times the player.

To get a #1 Center and keep the players we like sacrafices must be made and 3 million a year for a guy to win faceoffs is a joke. That stupid stat is the only thing that seperates Gaustad from the $850,000 to 1.5million dollar players.

To me, that is lawyer-speak for "we've given Darcy enough rope; let's see if he uses it to round up a good team OR hang himself". I doubt that either Black or Pegula are naive enough to think that Darcy unshackled is miles better than Darcy under Rigas/Golisano (but I could be wrong). From what we saw in the off-season, Black and Pegula went after Regehr and Erhoff; Darcy just carried the contracts in his briefcase. I think both Black and Pegula will (eventually) join me in being highly doubtful that Darcy will ever be a real NHL GM.

I'd be really interested to hear (and we may never know) what Regier's overall scheme/plan is for the Sabres, both in the long and short-term, with regards to a team-building philosophy. Something more substantial than Pegula's "the only reason this team exists is to win the Cup." It seems that if Darcy is just caddying for Black/Pegula, they could get an Overdorf ala Buddy Nix to just handle the financials.

Even if they are ignoring the past 14 years Darcy Regier has had to steer this team towards a Stanley Cup, it seems incredulous to me that Black and Pegula think the team is on the right path. I know WGR analyzes (over-analyzes?) everything he said, and the comment this AM about not putting pressure on the team to 'squeak' into the playoffs was telling, in my opinion. Some people seem to read that as an emphasis on long-term productivity rather than short-term haste, but along with the quotes from Stafford in TBN, I get the feeling it's more of an "aw shucks" attitude at this point. The injury excuse seems to follow in that vein.

tl;dr has Darcy ever outlined his team-building philosophy at all?

It's supply and demand though. You are only considering demand. With each of those moves, there is one less Dman being shopped. I know a 2nd round pick seems to be the going rate for a fourth line / third pair type player but teams have considerably more assets than 2nd rounders.

Actually, you are helping me make my point. The market place is a complicated beast and without inside knowledge of who wants or needs what, making assumptions about player demand is silly. I've simply stated that I wouldn't assume a market for your players and stated how other trades being made could affect it. Unless you know there are other buyers for your player, you make the deal you can if it is for a fair return (or fits in with your salary goals). Otherwise you risk being left on the sidelines.

What will you do if you are wrong and DR moves out some bodies?

I'm saying.....Ted Black is a useless source for me. He is a tapdancer to keep fans salivating for a miracle. He's a smart guy. I figured I was really going to like him. Over time he is coming across as an 11th grade choral and drama student who is excited to receive a Kiwanas award for outstanding duty and is pushing for perfect attendance to get his picture in the Pegula Bee.

Who. Seriously, who? and make sure he can also be a first unit PKer, chip in 10-12 goals a year. while skating 12-15 minutes a game, and be a + player.

I think a half dozen of us were begging for max Talbot in the offseason.......

Who. Seriously, who? and make sure he can also be a first unit PKer, chip in 10-12 goals a year. while skating 12-15 minutes a game, and be a + player.

Seriously....Steckel or Gordon to name two who are amongst the league faceoff leaders.

PS Two out of the last five years he was a minus player, and this year he is at a whopping +1.

Seriously....Steckel or Gordon to name two who are amongst the league faceoff leaders.

PS Two out of the last five years he was a minus player, and this year he is at a whopping +1.

Steckel has roughly half of Gaustad's stats and half his contract. Seems like the money's fair from that point of view.

Also

Steckel has roughly half of Gaustad's stats and half his contract. Seems like the money's fair from that point of view.

Steckel is also averaging 2+ minutes less per game at ES. Paying Gaustad 2.5 mil and McCormick 1.25 is screwing up the Sabres every time DR needs to negotiate a contract for someone else. You think agents aren't coming to the table with Darcy's wonderful deals?

PS Half of Gaustad's points have come in the last month. Where was he when they were falling apart in the 2nd half of November, December and early January?

Do you want the truth?

One of two things is happening here.

Either:

A) Darcy is actually being smart by leaking they are looking at resigning him in hopes of maybe getting someone to throw in a 4th to go with a 2nd.

or

B) Terry Pegula wanted Gaustad to be the Captain this year, but Lindy talked him out of it with a smile...and we know Terry loves Lindy. Terry wants Gaustad as a Sabre, no matter what anyone else thinks or what might make sense. Darcy says "okie dokie boss"...and next thing you know it's 4 years $11 million.

Time will tell.

Also

Steckel is also averaging 2+ minutes less per game at ES. Paying Gaustad 2.5 mil and McCormick 1.25 is screwing up the Sabres every time DR needs to negotiate a contract for someone else. You think agents aren't coming to the table with Darcy's wonderful deals?

PS Half of Gaustad's points have come in the last month. Where was he when they were falling apart in the 2nd half of November, December and early January?

If I were a bit more clever, I'd have any number of "hiding from Lucic" jokes here :P

Gordon also has half the stats of Gaustad, and judging by his PIMS, is even less of a physical presence.

Gaustad is a +1 on a team with a -26 goal differential and rarely get PP time.

I'm not saying Goose is the end all/be all and I have often argued that he is slightly overpaid. But when I look around the league at players who bring a similar skill set to the the table, the number looks a little better. 10 - 12 goals/ year, first line PK, able to play a shut down role against other teams top lines and play 13-15 minutes per night, fill in in an emergency on higher lines and be a plus or even player? and be among the league leaders in FO%?

Weave and I were talking about Ott as a similar player, and he is - a little tougher, but not quite the PK abilities of Goose - he's getting 3.

The market is what the market is, and you can definitely fill his spot with a player who makes less. But that probably means you are getting a lesser player - what do you want - a player who meets a skill set or a player who fills a salary cap niche?

Do you want the truth?

One of two things is happening here.

Either:

A) Darcy is actually being smart by leaking they are looking at resigning him in hopes of maybe getting someone to throw in a 4th to go with a 2nd.

or

B) Terry Pegula wanted Gaustad to be the Captain this year, but Lindy talked him out of it with a smile...and we know Terry loves Lindy. Terry wants Gaustad as a Sabre, no matter what anyone else thinks or what might make sense. Darcy says "okie dokie boss"...and next thing you know it's 4 years $11 million.

Time will tell.

Yes, there couldn't possibly be any other explanation.

Gordon also has half the stats of Gaustad, and judging by his PIMS, is even less of a physical presence.

Gaustad is a +1 on a team with a -26 goal differential and rarely get PP time.

I'm not saying Goose is the end all/be all and I have often argued that he is slightly overpaid. But when I look around the league at players who bring a similar skill set to the the table, the number looks a little better. 10 - 12 goals/ year, first line PK, able to play a shut down role against other teams top lines and play 13-15 minutes per night, fill in in an emergency on higher lines and be a plus or even player? and be among the league leaders in FO%?

Weave and I were talking about Ott as a similar player, and he is - a little tougher, but not quite the PK abilities of Goose - he's getting 3.

The market is what the market is, and you can definitely fill his spot with a player who makes less. But that probably means you are getting a lesser player - what do you want - a player who meets a skill set or a player who fills a salary cap niche?

Yes, there couldn't possibly be any other explanation.

Money aside, do you want Gaustad as the Sabres 3rd line center going forward? Are you okay with having a guy with so little offensive abilities as a 3rd line center? His only fit is as a great 4th line center making 1.75 a year.

Money aside, do you want Gaustad as the Sabres 3rd line center going forward? Are you okay with having a guy with so little offensive abilities as a 3rd line center? His only fit is as a great 4th line center making 1.75 a year.

I'm not sure it's his ONLY fit, but over a 3-5 year timeline, this is the best contract i see to keep him around. At his age, I don't see him signing a short term deal to plug a hole while we wait for prospect/future draft choice centers to develop.

Anyone surprised that the coaching staff finally wised up this year and took Gaustad off the PP? I don't know if this was McCuthceon's idea, but how you could play someone with hands of stone on one of your PP units year after year is mind boggling.

For years, people here were calling for his increased presence on the PP, especially in the slot, screening the goalie.

That is an entirely different question - it would depend on what the rest of the team looks like and what the vision is for the team - are we constructing a fast and furious team of swarming forwards a la 2006/7 or two top scoring lines, a shut down line and a line of bruisers like many teams have?

If the former, Goose doesn't fit in a 3rd line role. If the latter, I think we have room for a checking line center in the 2.5-2.75 range. He is currently making 2.5 with a 2.3 cap hit. He will target 3. Maybe this is the first inkling of whether longtime sabres will give a hometown discount to play for (what will eventually be) a winner.

Archived