Buyers or Sellers?

LGR4GM

Also

Steckel is also averaging 2+ minutes less per game at ES. Paying Gaustad 2.5 mil and McCormick 1.25 is screwing up the Sabres every time DR needs to negotiate a contract for someone else. You think agents aren't coming to the table with Darcy's wonderful deals?

PS Half of Gaustad's points have come in the last month. Where was he when they were falling apart in the 2nd half of November, December and early January?

I was looking at both players over their entire careers, so quite honestly, i don't care about when the points/production came. Over the course of their careers, Gaustad has been twice the player Steckel has.

I would not assume the bolded part at all. As more teams make trades the market for your players shrinks. As mentioned several times in recent days, how many teams with 2nd round picks in 2012 are left?

Of course, there are still the same number of 2nd-round picks, all of which can be freely traded for Gaustad/Leopold/Stafford/etc.

I would rather see goose stay and sign a new deal, only being moved if he is gonna test the FA market this summer. Otherwise, he is a good 3rd/great 4th line center who is one of the better faceoff guys in the league. Sign him for under or around $3mil a year and its a good deal.

I wouldn't mind having Gaustad back, but the idea of giving any member of the Sabres "leadership group" a raise (to say nothing of a long-term contract) after this debacle of a season makes me sick.

Day-umm. I think he is about if not slightly over his value now at $2.3M. No way I want him tying up $3M in cap space.

Also

Steckel is also averaging 2+ minutes less per game at ES. Paying Gaustad 2.5 mil and McCormick 1.25 is screwing up the Sabres every time DR needs to negotiate a contract for someone else. You think agents aren't coming to the table with Darcy's wonderful deals?

PS Half of Gaustad's points have come in the last month. Where was he when they were falling apart in the 2nd half of November, December and early January?

And overpaying a bunch of guys by $1MM - $2MM each has left the team short of the cap space it needs to go after a difference-maker in UFA.

Money aside, do you want Gaustad as the Sabres 3rd line center going forward? Are you okay with having a guy with so little offensive abilities as a 3rd line center? His only fit is as a great 4th line center making 1.75 a year.

Money aside, I'm quite happy with Gaustad-Kaleta-Gerbe as the 3rd line.

Anyone surprised that the coaching staff finally wised up this year and took Gaustad off the PP? I don't know if this was McCuthceon's idea, but how you could play someone with hands of stone on one of your PP units year after year is mind boggling.

You do realize our PP is ranked 22 out of 30 teams right?

For years, people here were calling for his increased presence on the PP, especially in the slot, screening the goalie.

Not me.

You do realize our PP is ranked 22 out of 30 teams right?

...and the reason why is because Gaustad is not part of either PP unit? :blink:

I'm not saying I want 3 lines of all offense and no defense, but a team needs more offense than what this trio can provide as a 3rd line. Now if this is my 4th line not factoring in salaries... :thumbsup:

I'm saying.....Ted Black is a useless source for me. He is a tapdancer to keep fans salivating for a miracle. He's a smart guy. I figured I was really going to like him. Over time he is coming across as an 11th grade choral and drama student who is excited to receive a Kiwanas award for outstanding duty and is pushing for perfect attendance to get his picture in the Pegula Bee.

:blink: WTF does this even mean?

I think a half dozen of us were begging for max Talbot in the offseason.......

Talbot is a good player - he was signed by Philly this summer as a free agent with a 1.75 cap hit. His goals are through the roof this year for him, but his start is unsustainable - he has a ridiculous 18.2 shooting percentage that is 12th in the league.

He runs around and hits people, but makes Kaleta look like a pugilist - not a single fighting major despite 42 minutes in minor penalties. He's also a terrible faceoff man at 44.5% - that almost 12 percentage points lower than Goose.

He's also been moved to the wing, playing on a line with Briere.

Other than his goal stats for this year, he is more in line with McCormick than goose.

He's a decent player, but what does that have to do with replacing goose should we trade him away? Just because you were interested in bringing him in last summer does not mean that he was interested in speaking with Buffalo, or that we were in need of another 4th line center.

:blink: WTF does this even mean?

Talbot is a good player - he was signed by Philly this summer as a free agent with a 1.75 cap hit. His goals are through the roof this year for him, but his start is unsustainable - he has a ridiculous 18.2 shooting percentage that is 12th in the league.

He runs around and hits people, but makes Kaleta look like a pugilist - not a single fighting major despite 42 minutes in minor penalties. He's also a terrible faceoff man at 44.5% - that almost 12 percentage points lower than Goose.

He's also been moved to the wing, playing on a line with Briere.

Other than his goal stats for this year, he is more in line with McCormick than goose.

He's a decent player, but what does that have to do with replacing goose should we trade him away? Just because you were interested in bringing him in last summer does not mean that he was interested in speaking with Buffalo, or that we were in need of another 4th line center.

At this point...which would you rather have?

Lieno for $4.5 million?

or

Talbot for $1.75 million and spending the other $2.75 on the Elephant Man Skeleton, a grilled cheese sandwich with the Blessed Virgin on it, and a hooker in every city on the road for RJ and Harry?

At this point...which would you rather have?

Lieno for $4.5 million?

or

Talbot for $1.75 million and spending the other $2.75 on the Elephant Man Skeleton, a grilled cheese sandwich with the Blessed Virgin on it, and a hooker in every city on the road for RJ and Harry?

obfuscation!

It's exactly those balenced, nothing bothers me posters that I was aiming that at. How many discusions have there been in the past 4-5 years on this board about what our expectations for a season would be - what would be accepable for LR/DR to stay?

Every year those expectations aren't met and we get nothing but a new set of excuses from them, from posters and from the FO. We are then told to just wait, things'll change, it'll be different next year,.... and nothing changes.

Hopefully someday, it will be time to be angry. I really thought it was the 14th year. I guess I'm just too impatient.

So having a balanced, educated opinion is wrong? That suddenly means I'm happy with the situation at the moment and DONT realise we'd be better off without LR and DR? Please, please explain to me what you're on about. Yes, I would think LTS and everyone else is pissed of but being angry at people here is just dumb. Maybe boo at the games, have a sign, or make some obvious point to the actual organisation. If you're that angry have you done that?

So having a balanced, educated opinion is wrong? That suddenly means I'm happy with the situation at the moment and DONT realise we'd be better off without LR and DR? Please, please explain to me what you're on about. Yes, I would think LTS and everyone else is pissed of but being angry at people here is just dumb. Maybe boo at the games, have a sign, or make some obvious point to the actual organisation. If you're that angry have you done that?

I recommend driving a car through the front window of the F'n C and molotov cocktails. Go big or go home.

It's funny that the Sunshine and Kitten crew has no problem telling Team Stormcloud that they shouldn't feel the way they feel, but when it is turned the other way, little Kitty's panties always get in a bunch.

For the record, I was never angry at LTS. He himself has stated that he doesn't get that worked up if they win or lose. I was just asking, in a somewhat hyperbolic way, what it would take for him to actually get mad and question the Sabres management, because anytime anyone has questioned Ruff or Darcy in the last week they have been called all sorts of things begining with batsh!t crazy.

I recommend driving a car through the front window of the F'n C and molotov cocktails. Go big or go home.

The last time I went to a Sabres game, under my jersey I had a T-shirt that said Darcy is a DooDoo Head. It was awesome.

We can't question Ruff.

We can't question Darcy.

We can't question Black.

We can't question Pegula.

I guess all the moves they've made have been the right ones and we should just sit back and wait for the Cup.

...makes for a pretty boring board, though...

You can question it, you can question anything and you should. But you should question it with an open mind and expectations. It's 1 year and it's rare that anyone can make all the right moves in 1 year. I give it time.

I'm starting to think that the only thing you would get upset over, regarding the Sabres, is them actually winning the Cup.

That's a good one. I forget which game it was in the past 2 weeks where I posted in the GDT that I was done with the team. I had had it. They were playing like an ECHL team. The past few games they've really been playing pretty good hockey. We're all waiting for them to revert back to what they've been (myself included).

For the record I am not on the band wagon of keep the players and try and make the playoffs this year. I am on the bandwagon of trade Gaustad, Roy, Stafford (if possible), Leopold, Sekera (if possible), and Boyes., Bring up your minor leaguers and see what happens. If they manage to beat both Boston and NY this weekend I would actually expect them to not make moves but I still don't think they are cut for a 7 game series. After 3pm Monday I will look at the trades made and if I feel Regier sucked it up you'll hear it from me.

Quite frankly if the Sabres won the Cup I wouldn't even know what to do. I think I would be paralyzed in utter disbelief that this just happened. Having lived through 4 Super Bowls and "in the crease", and the year of not having a quality 11th defenseman in the system I've pretty much been come to expect disappointment.

Funny thing.. if Buffalo (either team) were to win a championship I am pretty sure the city would crumble to the ground from the stampede and noise of fans...

He is on a checking line. Its not like those draws are regularly turning into goals.

While I do generally agree, in any game that FO% means maybe one or two possessions either way. But, your *checking* line center is going to be losing draws to the other teams' top line. That's something to think about.

Goose shouldn't get much of a raise at all. He's a reasonably valuable player, but the extra $1m is cap space that can be spent somewhere else.

That is an entirely different question - it would depend on what the rest of the team looks like and what the vision is for the team - are we constructing a fast and furious team of swarming forwards a la 2006/7 or two top scoring lines, a shut down line and a line of bruisers like many teams have?

If the former, Goose doesn't fit in a 3rd line role. If the latter, I think we have room for a checking line center in the 2.5-2.75 range. He is currently making 2.5 with a 2.3 cap hit. He will target 3. Maybe this is the first inkling of whether longtime sabres will give a hometown discount to play for (what will eventually be) a winner.

Why does it have to be a scoring 3rd line *or* a checking line with so little offense? What I think we need to shoot for is a 3rd line capable of playing against the opponents' top line but not neutered offensively. Ideally it would be centered by a Hecht-type player. I think that you'll need a 3rd line capable of putting 45-50 goals in the net if you want to have enough diversity of scoring to be a Cup threat. And in that scenario Goose ends up a highly paid 4th liner.

I want to see this team start to make real steps towards building a cup team (I know, so does everyone else. Bear with me). And that may mean filling some holes and leaving others gaping for a season or two. I am more than happy to see Goose walk if it means the team is planning to upgrade the 3rd line center position, something I do think needs to happen if we are going to aspire to a Stanley Cup.

BTW- Ott is currently centering Dallas' 2nd line. Although that probably speaks more to Dallas' lack of center depth than to Ott's abilities.

You can question it, you can question anything and you should. But you should question it with an open mind and expectations. It's 1 year and it's rare that anyone can make all the right moves in 1 year. I give it time.

It's not year one, it's year 15. When you retain the Status Quo you don't get the benefit of a clean slate, the clock keeps ticking.

Reading posts from the Sunshine and Kitten brigade is like watching an episode of Hoarders, they'll talk about needing change but as soon as you try to throw out one box of jars filled with dead flies they get all spastic.

This franchise is going nowhere until they actually commit to change, another season of talk and half measures means nothing. You can't hide the core behind paint, rugs and token gestures and expect all fans to buy it. There will always be those fans that eat it up, other fans will know better.

It's not year one, it's year 15. When you retain the Status Quo you don't get the benefit of a clean slate, the clock keeps ticking.

Reading posts from the Sunshine and Kitten brigade is like watching an episode of Hoarders, they'll talk about needing change but as soon as you try to throw out one box of jars filled with dead flies they get all spastic.

This franchise is going nowhere until they actually commit to change, another season of talk and half measures means nothing. You can't hide the core behind paint, rugs and token gestures and expect all fans to buy it. There will always be those fans that eat it up, other fans will know better.

which is why I am good with trading Roy for picks and stafford for picks and leo for picks and darcy for a pile of crap and goose for picks... o and trade MAG for a cupcake with a candle in it.

I'm not fond of all the labels but this was pretty damned funny.

Here is the reality......the Sabres are anywhere between 100-1 and 150-1 to win the Cup. If Darcy is so sure that his team can make it to the playoffs......and THIS is the year a bottom 8 team wins the Cup...because he feels it......he can go and plunk down $8K and double his salary this year when they win.

When you take consensus of the top 30 places across the world, only the Islanders and Carolina are higher odds. The money says the Sabres have little shot at making the playoffs, but for some reason they are on Tampa making a run.

Washington should take over Florida for the division, and it is between Toronto and Florida for the 8 spot with Winnipeg having an ok chance and Tampa being bet. Then it gaps a little to Montreal, then to Buffalo.

For all the talk about even making it to the playoffs.....I thought I was going crazy.

Here is the reality......the Sabres are anywhere between 100-1 and 150-1 to win the Cup. If Darcy is so sure that his team can make it to the playoffs......and THIS is the year a bottom 8 team wins the Cup...because he feels it......he can go and plunk down $8K and double his salary this year when they win.

When you take consensus of the top 30 places across the world, only the Islanders and Carolina are higher odds. The money says the Sabres have little shot at making the playoffs, but for some reason they are on Tampa making a run.

Washington should take over Florida for the division, and it is between Toronto and Florida for the 8 spot with Winnipeg having an ok chance and Tampa being bet. Then it gaps a little to Montreal, then to Buffalo.

For all the talk about even making it to the playoffs.....I thought I was going crazy.

I don't know what is more disappointing, that some fans need to realize that dumping Roy, Stafford and a couple of UFA's will not make this team a Stanley Cup contender or that Regier is likely not even considering nothing more than his usual minimalist token gestures.

I couldn't agree more. They'll throw out excuses like Larry Quinn was carrying Darcys purse so Darcy couldn't accomplish the goal of winning the cup yet they'll also say this is year 1 and all those other years of failure don't count. Which is it ? Year 1 or year 15.

Since December 17th, 24 of the 30 teams in the NHL made some sort of trade. The six teams who haven't are:

• Vancouver
  • Pittsburgh
  • NY Isles
  • St Louis
  • Los Angeles
  • Buffalo

Since December 17th, 24 of the 30 teams in the NHL made some sort of trade. The six teams who haven't are:

• Vancouver
  • Pittsburgh
  • NY Isles
  • St Louis
  • Los Angeles
  • Buffalo

We are now 1 of five. Care to guess who goes last.

• Vancouver
  • Pittsburgh
  • NY Isles
  • St Louis
  • Los Angeles
  • Buffalo

We are now 1 of five. Care to guess who goes last.

St. Louis traded coaches, they should come off of the list.

I thought the Isles just made a trade as well.

Archived