Buyers or Sellers?

LGR4GM

Well its that month where teams make the decision to sell the future for the present or sell the present for the future. Which would you like the Sabres to be? Buyers in which they go out and acquire maybe that elusive center, or Sellers in which we potentially trade some of the driftwood that has clung to this team for so long?

I vote sellers. Yup they have 7 of the last 8 pts but that's irrelevant because the goal is the cup and this team doesn't have what it takes. They are mediocre at best and lethargic most nights. They have the consistency of a drunk guys post jim's steak out puke. Sell the garbage on the high side and start to fix this core of lackadaisical, jealous children that has permeated the sabres locker room for far to long.

ps. If the mods want to add a poll, go for it but my comp keeps giving me an error message when I try.

I want the Sabres to be sellers. They had a good chance last season to start the revamping in earnest and they blew it. I don't want to see the same mistake repeated this season. I don't care what kind of run they go on this month, the team needs an overhaul and there is no time like the present.

Sell Sell Sell

There are going to be a lot of buyers this year, take advantage of the market. Hopefully the market wont pass Regier by again this season.

I agree ... sell, sell, sell!

Hopefully this is DR's last trade deadline as Sabres GM and that he doesn't blow it. For the good of the team's future.

I don't think they'll do either. Of the upcoming UFAs that they have I think they want to resign Gaustad and Hecht has no value due to injury. Perhaps they can pawn off Boyes to a team for a low round pick (4th?) but even that's no certainty.

They're not going to trade picks for expiring contracts when the odds of them making a run to the playoffs is so slim, so definately not buying. Unless there is another Boyes type of trade available, meaning a player who isn't in the last year of his contract available for a draft pick.

I think the types of moves they'll be looking to make are those of the lateral variety, so NHL players with years on their contracts (Roy) for NHL players with years on their contracts (?).

Sekera needs to go, even though he is younger then leopold, I would keep Leopold over sekera. Roy, stafford, boyes def need to go I agree. They are all having off years. I like boyes the most out of all of them but he just can't produce unless it is in a shootout.

Time for change. Sell. I'm tired of backing a lame horse with little or no chance to be considered a contender never mind actually contend. If the Buffalo Sabres reason for existence is to win the cup then prove it by making moves towards that goal.

SELL. Although I think Vanek-Man has it right and they won't. IMO Leopold is a player I don't hear much talk of as being delt but has an expiring contract, has had a solid year and would have reasonable trade value right now. I'd love to trade a Brad Boyes, Drew Stafford or Derek Roy but I think Leopold would be a good fit for a team looking to make a run in the post season. Atleast as a veteran presence.

Sekera needs to go, even though he is younger then leopold, I would keep Leopold over sekera. Roy, stafford, boyes def need to go I agree. They are all having off years. I like boyes the most out of all of them but he just can't produce unless it is in a shootout.

why do you want to get rid of sekera? because his value may be pretty good right now? i would keep him, unless his is involved in a bigger trade. leo can go.

i think the sabres will make two trades by the deadline, and the biggest deal will come this summer, trading away some picks to get a stab at parise before he goes on the market.

SELL. Although I think Vanek-Man has it right and they won't. IMO Leopold is a player I don't hear much talk of as being delt but has an expiring contract, has had a solid year and would have reasonable trade value right now. I'd love to trade a Brad Boyes, Drew Stafford or Derek Roy but I think Leopold would be a good fit for a team looking to make a run in the post season. Atleast as a veteran presence.

Leopold's not mentioned as much because he still has one year left on his contract.

I hate wanting the Sabres to lose, but my biggest fear is that they will make just enough of a push pre trade deadline that they back off from being sellers, then end up finishing around 10th. No playoffs, no real change, worse draft pick.

This has a scary ring of truth to it.

I hate wanting the Sabres to lose, but my biggest fear is that they will make just enough of a push pre trade deadline that they back off from being sellers, then end up finishing around 10th. No playoffs, no real change, worse draft pick.

This isn't the NFL, outside of the small handful of guys going in the top 2-3 spots (something the Sabres might have to lose out to obtain and still not be guaranteed because they would also have to win a lottery for), theres no guarantee that any of the guys picked are gonna be good, and they will not make a difference on this team for another season or 2 minimum. Who cares about picks right now? This team has a pretty good stock of talent in Rochester right now if what people here are saying is true (Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, etc.). This team needs help to win NOW, not in a few years. They need to dump some of the underachieving "core" (Roy, Stafford, etc), make a move or 2 to upgrade the roster in a few spots (a couple of bettter centres?), keep the current tandem of goaltenders, stay healthy and they can turn things around pretty quickly. They don't need to bottom out any further to rebuild, the roster just needs a few moves to get back to the playoffs and have a chance at the cup. You don't need to scrap your whole car just because the muffler, water pump and alternator need replacing.

This isn't the NFL, outside of the small handful of guys going in the top 2-3 spots (something the Sabres might have to lose out to obtain and still not be guaranteed because they would also have to win a lottery for), theres no guarantee that any of the guys picked are gonna be good, and they will not make a difference on this team for another season or 2 minimum. Who cares about picks right now? This team has a pretty good stock of talent in Rochester right now if what people here are saying is true (Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, etc.). This team needs help to win NOW, not in a few years. They need to dump some of the underachieving "core" (Roy, Stafford, etc), make a move or 2 to upgrade the roster in a few spots (a couple of bettter centres?), keep the current tandem of goaltenders, stay healthy and they can turn things around pretty quickly. They don't need to bottom out any further to rebuild, the roster just needs a few moves to get back to the playoffs and have a chance at the cup. You don't need to scrap your whole car just because the muffler, water pump and alternator need replacing.

Actually our stock of talent in Rochester doesn't go too deep. The three you mentioned are pretty much the only guys I'm excited about (+Armia in Europe), and though they have plenty of grit, none of them (well, maaaybe Kassian) are going to score a lot of goals. Although you're likely right about only the top couple draft picks having an immediate impact on a team, there are guys (centers) that will be available until pick 10 or 11... the worry is a small run could bump us up over to pick 12 or 13... we wouldn't be missing out on a sure-fire #1 or anything, but you still want to be able to draft one of the best few centers available.

Unfortunately we all know that this is exactly what is going to happen.

I too would like to see the Sabres be sellers at the deadline. At a minimum they should be active in trading their expiring and 1 year left UFA contracts (Boyes, Leopold, Goose) to get something for them. In addition to these moves I would also like to see a shakeup of top 6 for top 6 type moves to redefine the team personality a little going into next season. Give that new player 30 odd games to get acclimated to the team so they are ready to contribute day 1 in 2012.

Archived