Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

I miss the days of playing goalie in street hockey with nothing more than a baseball mitt and an old hockey glove so worn out it didn't actually have a palm anymore (insert joke here).

With the foam of a couch cushion, cut in half, tied with pieces of rope, for pads.

You know these fellas?

This was great! I don't care here or there....that was pretty cool.

I love how Curtis Brown gets the victory in amount of highlights.....

I didn't "know" them. I just happened to be at the park after school that day with my video camera. The white, windowless van blended right in with the snow.

My wife is awesome. Did she ask to go to Hawaii or on a cruise or some other beach destination to celebrate our 10th anniversary? No. She wanted to go to Buffalo. So tomorrow morning we leave for our hometown, sans kids, to celebrate with our friends and family. Staying Saturday night at Hotel Lafayette should be awesome too.

My wife is awesome. Did she ask to go to Hawaii or on a cruise or some other beach destination to celebrate our 10th anniversary? No. She wanted to go to Buffalo. So tomorrow morning we leave for our hometown, sans kids, to celebrate with our friends and family. Staying Saturday night at Hotel Lafayette should be awesome too.

You will enjoy that. The rooms are incredible. I've heard not so great things about the steakhouse in that hotel (Mike A's--but it does have a great cocktail lounge), but I can say that the less formal Butterwood Sweet & Savory restaurant downstairs is excellent.

Be sure to enjoy lots of Teddy Roosevelt beer while you're there. And the rooms are incredible for sure. You will not want to get out of bed ;)

man - that is quite a trick. are the grandparents in buffalo? if so, how on earth do you manage to come back home without the kids?

I've heard not so great things about the steakhouse in that hotel (Mike A's--but it does have a great cocktail lounge), but I can say that the less formal Butterwood Sweet & Savory restaurant downstairs is excellent.

i've eaten at mike a's at the lafayette once, and it was very, very good. of course, the prices are eye-popping by buffalo standards, but the quality was not far off the pace.

I remember playing gigs back in the day at the Lafayette Tap Room. The hotel had a pretty bad rep at the time, and we were warned to avoid it. I just visited their site; nice to see the place has been refurbed and looks like a nice place for a "back yard" get-away, or for dinner. They need to hire a real web developer, though.

I love the old Pan-American/Art Deco style. We have that in spades here in WNY, without having to rush to see it all and take it in.

Be sure to enjoy lots of Teddy Roosevelt beer while you're there. And the rooms are incredible for sure. You will not want to get out of bed ;)

The beer snob in me plans to sample all the beers at the brewpub. The Teddy Roosevelt at 4.5% abv looks like a winner for a good session beer,

man - that is quite a trick. are the grandparents in buffalo? if so, how on earth do you manage to come back home without the kids?

Both sets of grandparents are still in Buffalo for now. Her parents will be moving here to NC before the end of 2013 when her dad retires, and my parents will drive through NC in a few weeks on their way to Florida.

I remember playing gigs back in the day at the Lafayette Tap Room. The hotel had a pretty bad rep at the time, and we were warned to avoid it. I just visited their site; nice to see the place has been refurbed and looks like a nice place for a "back yard" get-away, or for dinner. They need to hire a real web developer, though.

I love the old Pan-American/Art Deco style. We have that in spades here in WNY, without having to rush to see it all and take it in.

It really is gorgeous inside now. I love the feel of the hallways to the rooms as well; they didn't sterilize them. It feels like it's as old as it is without coming across as rundown. Unusual in these modern times.

And the backyard get-away is exactly what it is good for. I'm stoked the lockout is over because the girlfriend and I have been talking about a weekend down the thruway, stay at the Lafayette, go to a Sabres game, maybe the Albright Knox.

Both sets of grandparents are still in Buffalo for now. Her parents will be moving here to NC before the end of 2013 when her dad retires, and my parents will drive through NC in a few weeks on their way to Florida.

like i said, that's quite the trick.

well, happy 10th, and many, many more to you and your best girl.

Muscle relaxers. :thumbsup:

Also, while at urgent care, a funny thing happened. The nurse mentions she thinks my name is interesting, and that it's the same as her maiden name. I laugh and tell her how I used to have a different last name but my grandfather changed it because no one could say it. She says her grandpa did the same thing. They're Polish. I say yeah, me too. My real last name is Podlewski.

Her jaw hit the floor.

Apparently we're related through my grandfather's side. I think her grandfather is a cousin of my grandfather. I need him to confirm if his father had a brother who could have had a kid named Tom.

Tom Powell, newscaster in Scranton, PA for WGBI.

Awesome.

Also, while at urgent care, a funny thing happened. The nurse mentions she thinks my name is interesting, and that it's the same as her maiden name. I laugh and tell her how I used to have a different last name but my grandfather changed it because no one could say it. She says her grandpa did the same thing. They're Polish. I say yeah, me too. My real last name is Podlewski.

Her jaw hit the floor.

Apparently we're related through my grandfather's side. I think her grandfather is a cousin of my grandfather. I need him to confirm if his father had a brother who could have had a kid named Tom.

Awesome.

Good thing this wasn't pillow talk.

Edited by inkman

Her jaw hit the floor.

Awesome.

5 or so years ago I moved my BU season tickets to a new section. At one of the games that year, I wore my Sabres hat and it turned out that I was sitting next to this girl (7 years older) who was from Niagara Falls. So we'd talk Sabres all the time. Then one game a friend comes over and refers to me by my last name. She hears that and mentions that it is her grandmother's maiden name. Hers was spelled Schrader though. But that's still kind of funny because my uncle married a Schrader from Niagara Falls 40-some years ago. We never did figure out if that was the same Schrader family, but it was still an interesting story to tell for a while.

And yes, my uncle, a Shrader, married a Schrader. Their kids seem completely normal.

Oh, and inky, yeah, I wasn't interested.

I didn't "know" them. I just happened to be at the park after school that day with my video camera. The white, windowless van blended right in with the snow.

Hang on... does that mean you're the one who shot/edited the video and added the Jeanneret audio clips? If so: :worthy:

Damn. I'm even more like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory than I'd originally feared. :(

Hang in there Bio....you've just hit a Vanek cold spell. Maybe PA is right......why don't you crack open a few bottles of red with the bf, and go crazy. We've seen too much all-star production in the past not to dismiss this as a fluke. :thumbsup: