Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Fwiw: Cleveland has some bomb-ass bagels -- place called Bialy's, near Shaker Heights as I recall.

Yess.

Not bagels, but I always will have a soft spot for Dave's Cosmic Subs. Lunch, then Grog Shop for a show. 

VW's proposed settlement of the Dieselgate scandal was submitted today. It now enters a public comment period that should last until the end of July, at which time the settlement should be approved and VW will begin buying cars back and handing out settlement cash from the FTC lawsuit.

I've been looking over the legal text to see how this affects me as a lessee. My major concern was that I leased the car in July '15, right before this went down. I intended to run the mileage up and buy the car out when the lease was up. After the scandal hit, VW was prevented from financing any of the affected cars, meaning I couldn't initiate a buy out if I wanted to. One year into my 3 year lease, I am just approaching 20,000 miles. This was always my intention. My concern was that any lease opt-out option in this settlement would have me paying mileage overages on a car that theoretically has no value. 

Fortunately it appears this has been accounted for in some respect. 

The text of the EPA portion of the settlement (https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-06/documents/vwpartialsettlement-cd.pdf) reads as follows:

IV. BUYBACK AND LEASE TERMINATION

~~~
4.2 Early Termination of Leases Recall: Beginning no later than fifteen (15) Days after
Effective Date of the Consent Decree, Settling Defendants shall offer the Lease Termination to each
Eligible Lessee of an Eligible Vehicle, upon return of the Eligible Vehicle. Any Lease Termination
offer shall include full cancellation of the remaining terms of the lease with no financial or other penalty
or cost. Settling Defendants shall pay any amounts necessary to accomplish the return of the vehicle
without penalty to the Eligible Lessee, including, without limitation, early termination fees owed to third
parties, except for fees for excess wear and use and excess mileage at the point of vehicle surrender, and
other amounts due such as late payment fees, tickets, tolls, etc. 

This freaked me out at first, but then I found this in the FTC portion of the settlement (https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/cases/proposed_partial_stipulated_order_filed_copy_0.pdf):

VIII. LEASE TERMINATION AND LESSEE COMPENSATION

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that for each Eligible Lessee who has an active lease and
who elects a Lease Termination, Defendant shall pay that Eligible Lessee as set forth in this
Order and Appendix A of the DOJ Consent Decree:
A. Upon submission of an Eligible Lessee’s complete and valid claim application
pursuant to Section XIII and surrender of an Eligible Vehicle to Defendant at a Volkswagen
Dealer (or other entity authorized by Defendant), Defendant shall pay Eligible Lessee Restitution
to the Eligible Lessee. Defendant shall pay all amounts necessary to achieve a Lease
Termination without penalty to the Eligible Lessee, including, without limitation, early
termination fees owed to third parties. Provided, however, that Defendant shall not be obligated
to pay any Eligible Lessee Restitution Adjustments. When calculating excess mileage fees,
Defendant cannot pro rate the actual mileage on the Eligible Vehicle on the day of vehicle
surrender, but must compare such actual mileage to that allowed under the full lease term. 

Boom shakalaka. I can turn my car in without being penalized for my over-mileage so long as I don't go over the mileage stipulated under the full length of the lease. 

It also appears that I will be receiving a considerable sum in settlement cash, somewhere between 5k and 10k depending on the age of the car. I believe this likely has to do with the introduction of VW's "Clean Diesel" ad campaign, which didn't start until the most recent generation (the one I have). 

Anyway...

giphy.gif

Boom shakalaka. I can turn my car in without being penalized for my over-mileage so long as I don't go over the mileage stipulated under the full length of the lease. 

It also appears that I will be receiving a considerable sum in settlement cash, somewhere between 5k and 10k depending on the age of the car. I believe this likely has to do with the introduction of VW's "Clean Diesel" ad campaign, which didn't start until the most recent generation (the one I have). 

Unbelievable. 

Unbelievable. 

I'll be honest, it does seem absurd. VW is being punished quite handily for lying about the emissions of a car that quite frankly doesn't emit nearly as much as your average dump truck or big rig. While 500,000 cars putting out twice the legal limit of NOx is a problem, the settlement we're receiving as customers is substantially higher than I expected it would be. VW clearly wants to move on from this while trying to retain customers. Our settlements are probably quite inflated as a means of "good will". 

New info dug up by people who have more free time than me. Looks like us lessees aren't getting as much as the people who actually bought the cars. That's fine. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/06/heres-much-youll-receive-dirty-volkswagen-diesel/

I'll be getting:

VW Golf Hatchback 4D TDI S $3,064 – $3,364

That'll do pig, that'll do. 

They're sending my dad home today from the hospital.  :)  They'd told him to expect up to a week, but he's healing so well that they decided it wasn't necessary.  He still has drain tubes in both his neck/face and leg that'll have to come out later, but he's really happy to be going home early (and their dog will be thrilled).

They're sending my dad home today from the hospital.  :)  They'd told him to expect up to a week, but he's healing so well that they decided it wasn't necessary.  He still has drain tubes in both his neck/face and leg that'll have to come out later, but he's really happy to be going home early (and their dog will be thrilled).

GOOD

:thumbsup:

Great news :)

It's about to be July 1, meaning the changes to the Code of Virginia made in the last legislative session take effect.  What greeted me as I walked in the office this evening?  Two gloriously large boxes of sweet, sweet Code Books.  LAW BOOK DAY!!!!!!!

I am such a nerd...

It's about to be July 1, meaning the changes to the Code of Virginia made in the last legislative session take effect.  What greeted me as I walked in the office this evening?  Two gloriously large boxes of sweet, sweet Code Books.  LAW BOOK DAY!!!!!!!

I am such a nerd...

Nerd is the least of your problems.

I honestly had never heard of the comedian Bill Burr until tonight when he popped up on YouTube. I am fan, so far. His hotel bit at the end of this Conan clip had me in tears.

You would love Bill Burr PA, his stand-up is amazing. Plus, he once went off for 13 minutes straight in a show in Philly, just standing up there insulting the city because the crowd was so rude

I never knew his name, but I knew he looked familiar... from Chappelle's Show!

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/jwy71h/chappelle-s-show-the-world-series-of-dice---uncensored