Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Buffalonian showing 'em how it's done:

https://gma.yahoo.com/blizzard-2015-guy-wearing-only-business-suit-wins-155519275--abc-news-topstories.html

Ok, the no coat thing is pretty stupid.

So great.

I was a bit confused, though. Was he coming into town from Buffalo? Or was he originally from the 716 and was in town from parts unknown?

Mostly, I just want the whole story. He was sorta perfect in that moment.

That said: Get the kid a top coat!

We were told there was a company meeting that was mandatory today at noon. We all figured we were getting some big news about work.

Well, we're standing there, the boss is just repeating things that were already common knowledge, when one of the local radio stations (98.9 the buzz) busts in with balloons and cameras and pizza. What the heck... Then they start talking about their ROC star of the week award, and how this girl was nominated for working so hard on weekends and her love for animals and then they're all staring at me and just whaaat

I'm not good at surprises- I'm the girl that shrinks into a ball when you try to get waiters to sing happy birthday to me. And of course I was dressed like I'd rolled out of bed. But wow, it was a really cool, awesome thing for my coworker to nominate me/get a free lunch for all my coworkers.

I don't listen to the radio much/let alone this show, but they were very kind and are going to have me on next week to talk about/promote the rescue.

The experience was really awesome and all, but I'm most excited about getting the word out about the barn. After my co-volunteers heart attack and all, this is just a really cool turn of luck.

oh, and normal hockey's back tonight!

Darn Jo, I knew you'd end up a famous artist eventually. Though this may not be the way you expected it to start, it all works out for a reason. Talk up the rescue until you're blue in the face, but don't forget to talk yourself up. You're portraits are AWESOME. I can't wait until you make it big and I can brag about how I own a couple of Jo's.

You are a great artist and an even better person (pretty sure dating D4rk qualifies for sainthood in some countries ;)); capture and ENJOY your success.

Edited by Taro T

Speaking of Target.

They have decided to abandon the Good Ship, Canada.

Not a big fan of Target, but I feel badly for the 17,000 part-timers out of work.

I don't mind Target, but don't go there as much as I used to (Amazon Prime is a god-send when you have a young child). Did they give a reason? Too much cost having to print everything in English and en Francais? :)

Darn Jo, I knew you'd end up a famous artist eventually. Though this may not be the way you expected it to start, it all works out for a reason. Talk up the rescue until you're blue in the face, but don't forget to talk yourself up. You're portraits are AWESOME. I can't wait until you make it big and I can brag about how I own a couple of Jo's.

You are a great artist and an even better person (pretty sure dating D4rk qualifies for sainthood in some countries ;)); capture and ENJOY your success.

haha Taro you're too sweet.  :P

I still have work backed up that I just haven't gotten to. My goal is to someday be able to quit one of my jobs and focus on portraits. Dream job is still to just do illustrations of entire team rosters, like in the old days buuut.... don't think I know the right people to put the grease on that dream's wheels. 

...and I may not be that barely legal Federova chick you're all thirsting over in the Zadorov thread, but d4rk puts up with me somehow.  

haha Taro you're too sweet.  :P

SNIP

...and I may not be that barely legal Federova chick you're all thirsting over in the Zadorov thread, but d4rk puts up with me somehow.  

1st bold: One might say Taro's a sweet potato. I'm here all week folks.

2nd bold: I'm sure she doesn't hold a candle to you. What the does an 18-year-old have to talk about that would be any interest to a grown up?

1st bold: One might say Taro's a sweet potato. I'm here all week folks.

2nd bold: I'm sure she doesn't hold a candle to you. What the ###### does an 18-year-old have to talk about that would be any interest to a grown up?

:w00t:  Did not think of that. Awesome. 

Or maybe... 

Terra-SpicedTaro.jpg

Yeah, it's easy to forget Zadorov is 19. 19!!! I have students his age. They're kids. 

Edited by Josie914

I don't mind Target, but don't go there as much as I used to (Amazon Prime is a god-send when you have a young child). Did they give a reason? Too much cost having to print everything in English and en Francais? :)

They just didn't catch on in Canada like in the US.

They just didn't catch on in Canada like in the US.

Target seemed to have logistic issues ... shelves were largely empty.

The prices were higher than Walmart too.

They took over locations that used to be Zellers, which had a lot of junk ... Zellers junk.  The one that I can walk to in about 10 minutes just changed the shelves around, but seemed to keep all the Zellers junk on the shelves.

:w00t:  Did not think of that. Awesome. 

Or maybe... 

Terra-SpicedTaro.jpg

Yeah, it's easy to forget Zadorov is 19. 19!!! I have students his age. They're kids. 

I can top that. I rub something Taro makes all over my face once a day to keep the rosacea away. (Sorry to use the "the [disease]" construction. I picked that up from "Fargo." "The autism." "The cancer." Minny, go figure.)

Today I discovered an unexpected perk of the funding instability in my lab.

This Friday will be my first paycheck of the new year (we get paid monthly). I checked the details online yesterday to make sure everything looked correct based on my new FSA elections, etc, and noticed my medical premium was about half what it should be. I figured it was a mistake and didn't want to end up with a really short paycheck later in the year to offset it, so I emailed our benefits HR rep to alert them that something was wrong with the calculation. Today they called and told me it's because they set our premiums based on your employment status / salary the previous October, and I'm currently on a 6 month appointment rather than the standard 12 month appointment. So even though I'm getting paid the same as before and there's a good chance my appointment will be renewed, for their purposes it looks like my annual salary is 1/2 what it really is and my premium is based on that. It's fixed for the entire year, too. Bonus!

Today I discovered an unexpected perk of the funding instability in my lab.

This Friday will be my first paycheck of the new year (we get paid monthly). I checked the details online yesterday to make sure everything looked correct based on my new FSA elections, etc, and noticed my medical premium was about half what it should be. I figured it was a mistake and didn't want to end up with a really short paycheck later in the year to offset it, so I emailed our benefits HR rep to alert them that something was wrong with the calculation. Today they called and told me it's because they set our premiums based on your employment status / salary the previous October, and I'm currently on a 6 month appointment rather than the standard 12 month appointment. So even though I'm getting paid the same as before and there's a good chance my appointment will be renewed, for their purposes it looks like my annual salary is 1/2 what it really is and my premium is based on that. It's fixed for the entire year, too. Bonus!

I like this.  You go girl.  Nice bonus for you.  High Five! 

Toyota's long-form version of its Super Bowl commercial

http://youtu.be/QEzdVV9U8Tc

I'm an all-day sucker for this sort of stuff.

EDIT: How do I get YouTube to embed now? Not working anymore, the way I used to do it.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Toyota's long-form version of its Super Bowl commercial

http://youtu.be/QEzdVV9U8Tc

I'm an all-day sucker for this sort of stuff.

EDIT: How do I get YouTube to embed now? Not working anymore, the way I used to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzdVV9U8Tc

You need to use the "regular" link, not the short version. http://   www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzdVV9U8Tc (no space in the middle though)

Edited by MattPie

We were told there was a company meeting that was mandatory today at noon. We all figured we were getting some big news about work. 

Well, we're standing there, the boss is just repeating things that were already common knowledge, when one of the local radio stations (98.9 the buzz) busts in with balloons and cameras and pizza. What the heck... Then they start talking about their ROC star of the week award, and how this girl was nominated for working so hard on weekends and her love for animals and then they're all staring at me and just whaaat

I'm not good at surprises- I'm the girl that shrinks into a ball when you try to get waiters to sing happy birthday to me. And of course I was dressed like I'd rolled out of bed. But wow, it was a really cool, awesome thing for my coworker to nominate me/get a free lunch for all my coworkers. 

I don't listen to the radio much/let alone this show, but they were very kind and are going to have me on next week to talk about/promote the rescue. 

The experience was really awesome and all, but I'm most excited about getting the word out about the barn. After my co-volunteers heart attack and all, this is just a really cool turn of luck. 

First, for everyone to enjoy: http://www.rochesterbuzz.com/Buzz-ROCstar-for-January-27th/20801439

Secondly, Scott Spezzano is like a Rochester Icon, that's awesome.

I kind of wish that we didn't get to see these Super Bowl adds ahead of time. It actually gives me less reason to watch a game like this year's where I hate both teams and instead I'm rooting for Bane. I understand why they do it though. If I was paying $85 gazillion for an ad, I'd want it to be seen as many times as possible too.

First, for everyone to enjoy: http://www.rochesterbuzz.com/Buzz-ROCstar-for-January-27th/20801439

Secondly, Scott Spezzano is like a Rochester Icon, that's awesome.

haha I hadn't seen those yet. 

I had zero clue I'd have any pictures taken of me that day, hence the hoodie and bad hair day... I was wearing my Toledo, Ohio shirt and red wings hoodie and after I realized it was me, I quickly zipped up the hoodie to hide the Toledo-ness of my shirt... Of all the days to get a Rochester themed award... 

Going to the station to record the bit about the rescue this morning at 1015. No idea when it's airing, or if it's live.

I'm dressed a lot better today.... 

Definitely really awesome!!