Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

My father had surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm that had gone beyond the safe zone today. It has been past the safe zone for years. Dead man walking. His lungs are not in good shape and he had a lot of fear for this procedure. He had it done up North in Plattsburgh and the collective decision was made that out of town sons would stay where they are. We needed to show him confidence that we were sure he'd be fine. The surgery was over at noon and I got word that his lungs we're struggling and they may need to put him on a ventilator. That was a big fear of his. He nearly lost his life after his last experience with one. The last text I got was from my mother at 1:30. He is able to breathe on his own and will eventually be moved to a room. I hear nothing more despite repeated attempts to contact family. Finally at 7 my bro calls. Dad is doing great! Flirting with nurses and telling everyone how he is going to chase mom around naked when he gets home! Five and a half nervous hours. I am sooooooo relieved! He was told by his last doctor that he would never survive this surgery. Thank God he finally went for a second opinion. Thank God it worked. Sorry for the long post. I'm super pumped!

That's great news, iTlnSn!  Happy to hear your dad is doing well.

My father had surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm that had gone beyond the safe zone today. It has been past the safe zone for years. Dead man walking. His lungs are not in good shape and he had a lot of fear for this procedure. He had it done up North in Plattsburgh and the collective decision was made that out of town sons would stay where they are. We needed to show him confidence that we were sure he'd be fine. The surgery was over at noon and I got word that his lungs we're struggling and they may need to put him on a ventilator. That was a big fear of his. He nearly lost his life after his last experience with one. The last text I got was from my mother at 1:30. He is able to breathe on his own and will eventually be moved to a room. I hear nothing more despite repeated attempts to contact family. Finally at 7 my bro calls. Dad is doing great! Flirting with nurses and telling everyone how he is going to chase mom around naked when he gets home! Five and a half nervous hours. I am sooooooo relieved! He was told by his last doctor that he would never survive this surgery. Thank God he finally went for a second opinion. Thank God it worked. Sorry for the long post. I'm super pumped!

Glad to hear it! 

Awesome, indeed.

As a horse rescue person, bless you and yours :) Ain't no warm fuzzies like adopted rescue fuzzies. 

Mrs. TBJ and I are our own rescue organization.  Every pet we've had has been a rescue; the three current pets we have (two dogs and a cat) didn't have a middle man; they were strays we took in.

Glad to hear your dad's doing okay, iTInSn. You must be so relieved!

Fantastic. 

Today is the day where my wife gets gifts from her students.  One of them gave what apparently is an annual tradition for her family.  It was a Red Sox ornament along with a note that money was being donate in her name to a cancer institute in Boston which just so happened to be the same place that treated my father-in-law (who died at this time 2 years ago).  I wonder what rolled through that kid's mind as he saw her start to cry after opening it.  He probably thought he did something wrong.

Great news!  :thumbsup:

What a cool idea:

Denver Cat Company Celebrates First Anniversary

Unlike many other cat cafes around the globe, which require visitors to make reservations, the DCC asks customers to pay a $3 cover charge on weekdays and $5 on weekends to cover the cost of fostering the kitties, which come from five different local rescues, until they are adopted. So far, the model has been quite successful. Nearly 100 cats have found permanent homes since the cafe opened last year.

Edited by biodork

I just bought a pair of complete glasses online for $6.95, with free shipping. Single vision, for distance, no anti-reflective coating. Amazing, but I fear they are made by Riwandan infants. I don't intend to ever wear them. They are pretty hideous. I just want to check the prescription in real world conditions vs. testing room conditions before buying a more expensive pair.

My best friend from work just got engaged. She kinda knew it was coming... she has coined the term "marrynoia" or, the paranoia that your bf is about to propose any day. Super great couple, and I get to be a bridesmaid again!!! Pretty awesome stuff. And now I don't want to focus on work. 

Following my tradition here ...

Happy Birthday to two members (not sure if they are posters, ya know?) that I have never heard of.

A big happy day greeting to IrwinNelson, whom I have heard of and like his contributions, even though they are rather infrequent.  All of 24 years old today.  Yikes!!

Yesterday was one of the better days I've had in years and I'm sure it was even more special for my mom. Because every one of my brothers are such different people doing so many different things we haven't been together in years (when we sat down and talked about it we could remember a time outside of our brother's funeral in 2009).

So yesterday all five of us were together at once with our mom for the first time since we said goodbye to one of us six years ago... An absolute blast for her as she loves the Bills but rarely gets to games. We've all dealt with so much but she had to bury a husband and a son way too soon, so these moments are always special.

I made sure to get a photo of us all together so I can have it framed up for Christmas. Can't wait to have her open it.

Update on this: tears. Lots of tears.

Today is my Christmas with my mom. She opened it up and as soon as she saw that it was a nicely framed photo of my brothers and her together she just gasped and said "you didn't!" then after a moment she was looking around the photo and realized I had lightly photoshopped my brother who passed away's initials into the clouds she squinted so she could clearly see it and then just put her hands over her face. She cried. We all shed a tear. It was a great moment as a family despite only a few of us being able to be in the room to share it...

Getting a photo professionally framed certainly is expensive but the quality and this moment was worth every penny. I would've paid twice the price.