Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

To get me to go to a gas station that I already go to anyway since their price is usually the lowest already?

Usually. Uh huh. They're in your head. You don't notice a few extras jumping into the cart? You get home and you don't remember putting the Oreos into the cart?

But the point is, it encourages you to buy more stuff at that store, to earn gas points, rather than maybe buying stuff at another store for a slightly lower price.  A lot of people do their grocery shopping at multiple stores; the gas thing is to try to get people to maximize what they spend at that store.

But the point is, it encourages you to buy more stuff at that store, to earn gas points, rather than maybe buying stuff at another store for a slightly lower price.  A lot of people do their grocery shopping at multiple stores; the gas thing is to try to get people to maximize what they spend at that store.

I'm not there for the gas rewards.  They don't add up quickly enough for it to be worthwhile.  We just like the store better.  I would like to know how I got the 60 cents though.  They give a summary on the receipt, but there was nothing there other than the note that I had earned 60 cents in rewards.  We didn't buy anything out of the ordinary.  But hey, that one time saving at the pump of around $9 was a nice touch.  I'm not so sure I could lower the price on the groceries I bought by that much if I were to shop around.

I'm not there for the gas rewards.  They don't add up quickly enough for it to be worthwhile.  We just like the store better.  I would like to know how I got the 60 cents though.  They give a summary on the receipt, but there was nothing there other than the note that I had earned 60 cents in rewards.  We didn't buy anything out of the ordinary.  But hey, that one time saving at the pump of around $9 was a nice touch.  I'm not so sure I could lower the price on the groceries I bought by that much if I were to shop around.

Might've been one of those multiplier offers they do sometimes (i.e. buy so many products from a certain list and you get 2x or 4x the points).  When I first signed up for one here I miraculously ended up with 80 cents off per gallon (!!) my first month, and I certainly did not spend $800 in groceries!  But I filled up my tank for less than $10, so that was nice (even if it'll never happen again).

But the point is, it encourages you to buy more stuff at that store, to earn gas points, rather than maybe buying stuff at another store for a slightly lower price. A lot of people do their grocery shopping at multiple stores; the gas thing is to try to get people to maximize what they spend at that store.

We use it here Giant/Shell and I never once even considered buying anything extra because it gave me points. As far as I know it is just free gas. I shop at Guant anyway and I won't go to Exxon unless I have to (holding a grudge against them).

We use it here Giant/Shell and I never once even considered buying anything extra because it gave me points. As far as I know it is just free gas. I shop at Guant anyway and I won't go to Exxon unless I have to (holding a grudge against them).

Their brand in the Boston area (StopnShop) did the gas thing too, but it was very hard to actually find a station that used those points.  They don't have stations on the store lot in most places either since space is at a prime there.  I did go to their stores as they tended to have the best prices of the options available, but the gas didn't factor in at all there either.  I'd hit a station the rare time I found myself in the right area, but most of the time, the points expired.

2 of the 3 main grocery stores we shop at do the same thing.  Plus warehouse chains like Costco and Sam's Club often have cheaper gas for members.  It's just a "perk" in my mind.  What I get is what I get, I've never bought more to get more.

Here's really the best way to work the system.  Some grocery stores, such as Giant Eagle, give more fuel perks for gift card purchases.  Any Amazon purchase, get a gift card to pay for it.  Best Buy, Chipotle, even Hulu can be done this way, and many, many others.  We very often (especially this time of year) have free or extremely cheap gas using this system.  It's not even difficult since most of the cards can be bought electronically as well.

Edited by EastsideOasis

2 of the 3 main grocery stores we shop at do the same thing. Plus warehouse chains like Costco and Sam's Club often have cheaper gas for members. It's just a "perk" in my mind. What I get is what I get, I've never bought more to get more.

Here's really the best way to work the system. Some grocery stores, such as Giant Eagle, give more fuel perks for gift card purchases. Any Amazon purchase, get a gift card to pay for it. Best Buy, Chipotle, even Hulu can be done this way, and many, many others. We very often (especially this time of year) have free or extremely cheap gas using this system. It's not even difficult since most of the cards can be bought electronically as well.

Wow, I bet that would warm Old Sugar Packets' heart if he were reading!

I couldn't even tell you how much gas costs per gallon. I bet I couldn't get within 50 cents. I just fill the tank and leave. I think it costs somewhere between 35 and 45 bucks.

I just guessed 2.80/gallon, then looked it up.

It's 2.12.

I couldn't even tell you how much gas costs per gallon. I bet I couldn't get within 50 cents. I just fill the tank and leave. I think it costs somewhere between 35 and 45 bucks.

I just guessed 2.80/gallon, then looked it up.

It's 2.12.

People obsess about it, then don't keep their tires inflated properly, drive too fast, blast the AC...

Edited by pASabreFan

Last week Sunday I helped my girlfriend, who runs a dog rescue in Toronto, with her first adopt-athon. Basically a local pet store gives us the back two rooms of the building to bring in all the adoptable dogs, and people can come in and fill out applications for a week long trial, during which the potential adopters can choose to adopt the dogs or bring them back if they aren't a good fit for whatever reason. As of today, less than a week later, all 8 dogs have found forever homes with awesome owners. Even better, these dogs were all rescued from horrible situations in the Dominican, where they had basically been sentenced to death. Helping an animal that deserves all the love in the world is a really rewarding experience, and is definitely awesome.

Well sure y'all won't admit that you buy more because of the gas thing.  And I wouldn't expect you to.

We buy the pretty much the same things each time we're at the store.  I have seen the random signs for "buy this and get bonus points", but it's always something stupid like 20 cans of chick peas.  The only impulse buy I'll ever make is a bottle of coke at the register (which admittedly is a stupid move).

2 of the 3 main grocery stores we shop at do the same thing.  Plus warehouse chains like Costco and Sam's Club often have cheaper gas for members.  It's just a "perk" in my mind.  What I get is what I get, I've never bought more to get more.

Here's really the best way to work the system.  Some grocery stores, such as Giant Eagle, give more fuel perks for gift card purchases.  Any Amazon purchase, get a gift card to pay for it.  Best Buy, Chipotle, even Hulu can be done this way, and many, many others.  We very often (especially this time of year) have free or extremely cheap gas using this system.  It's not even difficult since most of the cards can be bought electronically as well.

Thank you, I think you finally answered my question.  I bought a gift card for my brother while I was there.  The receipt didn't give that as my reason, but it had to be it.  I'm going to have to keep this in mind for all future gift card purchases.  I'll see if they have some signage at the store that mentions the bonus.

We buy the pretty much the same things each time we're at the store.  I have seen the random signs for "buy this and get bonus points", but it's always something stupid like 20 cans of chick peas.  The only impulse buy I'll ever make is a bottle of coke at the register (which admittedly is a stupid move).

Thank you, I think you finally answered my question.  I bought a gift card for my brother while I was there.  The receipt didn't give that as my reason, but it had to be it.  I'm going to have to keep this in mind for all future gift card purchases.  I'll see if they have some signage at the store that mentions the bonus.

Shoot, Bi-Lo here in the Charlotte area had a deal where you got double fuel perks on gift card purchases, right around the time I needed to make a +/- $1,500 purchase at Lowes.  I stopped at Bi-Lo before heading over to Lowes, and ended up with a bunch of free gas.  Totally worth it.

Shoot, Bi-Lo here in the Charlotte area had a deal where you got double fuel perks on gift card purchases, right around the time I needed to make a +/- $1,500 purchase at Lowes.  I stopped at Bi-Lo before heading over to Lowes, and ended up with a bunch of free gas.  Totally worth it.

Thank you.  I've done the same on big purchases and it's awesome!

Last week Sunday I helped my girlfriend, who runs a dog rescue in Toronto, with her first adopt-athon. Basically a local pet store gives us the back two rooms of the building to bring in all the adoptable dogs, and people can come in and fill out applications for a week long trial, during which the potential adopters can choose to adopt the dogs or bring them back if they aren't a good fit for whatever reason. As of today, less than a week later, all 8 dogs have found forever homes with awesome owners. Even better, these dogs were all rescued from horrible situations in the Dominican, where they had basically been sentenced to death. Helping an animal that deserves all the love in the world is a really rewarding experience, and is definitely awesome.

As a horse rescue person, bless you and yours :) Ain't no warm fuzzies like adopted rescue fuzzies. 

Awesome stuff, and love the avatar, lol.  Welcome to the board!

I don't understand what this is. :ph34r:

Extreme Home Makeover show where they take a family's home and completely revamp it. At the end they have a big reveal where they park a bus in front of the house then the whole crowd chants "move that bus." They move it and reveal the work that was done.

My father had surgery to repair an aortic aneurysm that had gone beyond the safe zone today. It has been past the safe zone for years. Dead man walking. His lungs are not in good shape and he had a lot of fear for this procedure. He had it done up North in Plattsburgh and the collective decision was made that out of town sons would stay where they are. We needed to show him confidence that we were sure he'd be fine. The surgery was over at noon and I got word that his lungs we're struggling and they may need to put him on a ventilator. That was a big fear of his. He nearly lost his life after his last experience with one. The last text I got was from my mother at 1:30. He is able to breathe on his own and will eventually be moved to a room. I hear nothing more despite repeated attempts to contact family. Finally at 7 my bro calls. Dad is doing great! Flirting with nurses and telling everyone how he is going to chase mom around naked when he gets home! Five and a half nervous hours. I am sooooooo relieved! He was told by his last doctor that he would never survive this surgery. Thank God he finally went for a second opinion. Thank God it worked. Sorry for the long post. I'm super pumped!