Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Flying is a great analogy. I just spent 9 days "flying" around the mountains of Western NC (and SC, WV, VA, MD, DC, and PA) and there's nothing like a motorcycle on twisty (and hopefully hilly) road. What type of bike?

Sounds wonderful. Airplanes and flight are my first love in life- but money and med problems stand in the way of me ever realizing that dream. Bikes are a close second?

My friend's fiance's bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 I think. He never actually told me, I'm going off appearances- I don't know what year. It's newer. It's nice- I prefer smaller bikes like that to big Harleys, personally. Unless you're talking 30s Knuckleheads.

If I ever got a bike I'd get some 80s honda- something with a smaller motor that I can, as d4rk puts it, "take apart and rebuild in the living room". Dream would be a Royal Enfield or Vincent Shadow.

Sounds wonderful. Airplanes and flight are my first love in life- but money and med problems stand in the way of me ever realizing that dream. Bikes are a close second?

My friend's fiance's bike is a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 I think. He never actually told me, I'm going off appearances- I don't know what year. It's newer. It's nice- I prefer smaller bikes like that to big Harleys, personally. Unless you're talking 30s Knuckleheads.

If I ever got a bike I'd get some 80s honda- something with a smaller motor that I can, as d4rk puts it, "take apart and rebuild in the living room". Dream would be a Royal Enfield or Vincent Shadow.

Ah, just curious what type. Someone should take you for a proper twitsty ride, like on a BMW. :) I have a friend with a Black Shadow, it's just so pretty and kinda crazy that it'll still hang being made 60+ years ago. Enfields are cool too.

If you were looking for something to learn on, check out the Suzuki TU250X, it's like a little Enfield. Like this:

http://chautauqua.cr...4424507272.html

(bike people are like married people, we're always trying to recruit)

Blue Ridge Parkway? Fantastic.

Did a fair bit of it yesterday, from Little Switzerland (MP 335) to MP 0 at the North end. I've ridden the entire thing (I think) at one time or another. It was *cold* though, probably low 40s or even high 30s up there until mid-day.

Edited by MattPie

Scarlet tanagers are awesome. You won't forget seeing one. Neither will your retinas. I saw a pair of males cavorting with a much drabber olive green female yesterday and snapped this shot. Wish I had a better camera/was a better photographer. In doing a little reading on them, someone nailed the description: "They are blindingly gorgeous."

post-136-0-34952300-1400534433_thumb.jpg

So I watched cricket for two hours today after seeing an espn top 10 highlight of it. I got bored and tried figuring it out. It's actually surprisingly entertaining and addictive. I still don't know how many outs each team gets, but I was able to gather how they could get out and how the points were tallied. Definitely something I'd watch live if I saw it on tv.

So I watched cricket for two hours today after seeing an espn top 10 highlight of it. I got bored and tried figuring it out. It's actually surprisingly entertaining and addictive. I still don't know how many outs each team gets, but I was able to gather how they could get out and how the points were tallied. Definitely something I'd watch live if I saw it on tv.

To the initiated no explanation is necessary, and to the uninitiated no explanation is possible.

I originally read the bolded part as "an espn 10 highlight" and interpreted it as a Dodgeball type "the ocho" joke. I laughed.

Each team gets 10 outs per innings. In a Test match or in county cricket, each team has 2 innings. In other (shortened) forms of cricket, just one innings. Yes, with an s on the end of it.

It is definitely addictive.

Edited by Eleven

Each team gets 10 outs per innings. In a Test match or in county cricket, each team has 2 innings. In other (shortened) forms of cricket, just one innings. Yes, with an s on the end of it.

It is definitely addictive.

I watched a championship game in 2011 between India and Shri Lanka. It was a one innings affair, but what confused me was the Shri Lanka team batted first, but switched once they got to 6 outs.

I watched a championship game in 2011 between India and Shri Lanka. It was a one innings affair, but what confused me was the Shri Lanka team batted first, but switched once they got to 6 outs.

What you were watching was a "limited overs" game. In that type of game, each team only bats for either 20 or 50 overs, depending on the format, and regardless of how many outs there are at the end of that many overs. An over is six balls. It is possible to get a team all out before they reach the end of the designated number of overs, so outs still matter.

EDIT: You watched the 2011 World Cup final. It was a 50 over game: http://www.espncrici...tch/433606.html

And this link lets you see what happened, ball by ball: http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/engine/match/433606.html?innings=1;view=commentary

Edited by Eleven

What you were watching was a "limited overs" game. In that type of game, each team only bats for either 20 or 50 overs, depending on the format, and regardless of how many outs there are at the end of that many overs. An over is six balls. It is possible to get a team all out before they reach the end of the designated number of overs, so outs still matter.

EDIT: You watched the 2011 World Cup final. It was a 50 over game: http://www.espncrici...tch/433606.html

And this link lets you see what happened, ball by ball: http://www.espncrici...view=commentary

Ah gotcha, thanks for the links. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind I've got a few more questions about it:

When/how do they switch the pitchers out?

Why do some pitchers sprint from very far away to throw it and others just a few steps? I'm assuming style?

What happens if you get hit by the ball as a batter? They're very, very good at hitting anything thrown remotely close to them, it's wildly impressive.

And if you do, how do you watch these games regularly?

So yeah, just a few questions ;)

Edited by WildCard

Ah gotcha, thanks for the links. :thumbsup:

If you don't mind I've got a few more questions about it:

When/how do they switch the pitchers out?

Why do some pitchers sprint from very far away to throw it and others just a few steps? I'm assuming style?

What happens if you get hit by the ball as a batter? They're very, very good at hitting anything thrown remotely close to them, it's wildly impressive.

And if you do, how do you watch these games regularly?

So yeah, just a few questions ;)

Bowlers change at the end of every over. Unless it's a limited overs game, there is no limit on how many overs a bowler may bowl, but he only can bowl every other one, because, as before, they change at the end of the over. Of course, that doesn't happen too often, because these guys get tired just like baseball pitchers do, and they have to go five days in Test matches. (In 50 over games, it's a 10 over limit for all bowlers, and in 20 over games, it's 4.)

Fast bowlers generally use longer run-ups than do spin bowlers, but you're right, it comes down to style, preference, coaching, etc. I have often wondered just how much energy is wasted on a 30 yard run-up.

There is no penalty for hitting a batsman. That's why they're wearing goalie pads and lacrosse gloves! In fact, one of the more prevalent ways of getting a batsman out involves hitting him on the leg while the leg is blocking the wicket.

It's tough to watch regularly. First, unless the West Indies is hosting, the matches are inconveniently timed. Second, I don't have a cricket channel. So I listen to BBC Five Live on TuneIn while following commentary on cricinfo or BBC's website, or, sometimes, I find a stream of questionable legality.

There's actually a cricket bar out on Transit Road but I haven't ever been there.

Bowlers change at the end of every over. Unless it's a limited overs game, there is no limit on how many overs a bowler may bowl, but he only can bowl every other one, because, as before, they change at the end of the over. Of course, that doesn't happen too often, because these guys get tired just like baseball pitchers do, and they have to go five days in Test matches. (In 50 over games, it's a 10 over limit for all bowlers, and in 20 over games, it's 4.)

Fast bowlers generally use longer run-ups than do spin bowlers, but you're right, it comes down to style, preference, coaching, etc. I have often wondered just how much energy is wasted on a 30 yard run-up.

There is no penalty for hitting a batsman. That's why they're wearing goalie pads and lacrosse gloves! In fact, one of the more prevalent ways of getting a batsman out involves hitting him on the leg while the leg is blocking the wicket.

It's tough to watch regularly. First, unless the West Indies is hosting, the matches are inconveniently timed. Second, I don't have a cricket channel. So I listen to BBC Five Live on TuneIn while following commentary on cricinfo or BBC's website, or, sometimes, I find a stream of questionable legality.

There's actually a cricket bar out on Transit Road but I haven't ever been there.

Awesome write-up Eleven, thanks.

The guy who made my laptop (works right next to my barber, owns a gas station) is from Pakistan and is a huge cricket fan. Guy won't even check you out in line if there's a play going on in the game. My dad always gets a crack out of telling him how much better baseball is than cricket :lol:

Most of my extended family lives right off Transit Road, next time I'm out that way I'll have to poke my head in and give it a look about.