Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

Rev. about the axis is always nice. Did you use Shells or Washers method? I usually go with Shells if it's about y-axis, but that depends on if I'm allowed to in the instructions of course.

Also, did you get some series convergence/divergence questions? They're usually not too bad, just all depends on if you can find the right test to use. I don't think I'll get a Taylor or a Maclaurin Series question, but I'd welcome the Maclaurin one over a Power-Series expansion.

Doesn't it depend on the situation for shell/washer? Because if it's a solid shape, the cross sections would always be circular and thus you'd use area of that, but a shape with washer method would require a doughnut-like figure, because you're using 2 different radii/areas?

And yeah we spent half of the semester on those. I found them fairly easy, but welcomed the others over a maclaurin, though we did not get a maclaurin question.

Doesn't it depend on the situation for shell/washer? Because if it's a solid shape, the cross sections would always be circular and thus you'd use area of that, but a shape with washer method would require a doughnut-like figure, because you're using 2 different radii/areas?

And yeah we spent half of the semester on those. I found them fairly easy, but welcomed the others over a maclaurin, though we did not get a maclaurin question.

I'm pretty sure you can use shell/washer for anything, just depends on which is easier. If you have a doughnut-like figure and you want to use shells, all you have to do is is take

v = (int a----b) 2pi [x - distance from the origin] [ f(x)-g(x)] dx.

That's for rotation about a vertical line though, much easier to use washer's for anything horizontally rotated.

You really spent half the semester on series? That's way different from what we had: spent the bulk of the semester on learning different ways to integrate, and finding parametric areas, polar coordinates, volumes/areas....pretty much anything involving an integral. We spent about 3 weeks on series and sequences. Why don't you like maclaurin?

I'm pretty sure you can use shell/washer for anything, just depends on which is easier. If you have a doughnut-like figure and you want to use shells, all you have to do is is take

v = (int a----b) 2pi [x - distance from the origin] [ f(x)-g(x)] dx.

That's for rotation about a vertical line though, much easier to use washer's for anything horizontally rotated.

You really spent half the semester on series? That's way different from what we had: spent the bulk of the semester on learning different ways to integrate, and finding parametric areas, polar coordinates, volumes/areas....pretty much anything involving an integral. We spent about 3 weeks on series and sequences. Why don't you like maclaurin?

Yeah, we blew through int. by parts, substitution, estimations like simpson's, rational functions, all that stuff, very quick, our professor loved series. Maclaurin, we did the one class after exam 4 and before the last day of class, so I wasn't comfortable comparably, though I can still do them. And with the rotations, I actually would usually just switch the axis to make it easier :P and we spent a lot of time using power series representations for functions, and had a whole big project on it. Edited by Arcsabresfan41

Yeah, we blew through int. by parts, substitution, estimations like simpson's, rational functions, all that stuff, very quick, our professor loved series. Maclaurin, we did the one class after exam 4 and before the last day of class, so I wasn't comfortable comparably, though I can still do them. And with the rotations, I actually would usually just switch the axis to make it easier :P and we spent a lot of time using power series representations for functions, and had a whole big project on it.

Huh, never was taught you could switch the axis like that. Then again, our professor had a wicked accent so I probably missed it :lol:

Ahh, I have friends there. I go to Bonaventure with none other than Tankalicious, who I met on the way to a sabres game once, he seems like a much better guy than some of you on sabres pace give him credit for :P

Really? Wow, small world haha.

I've never had a problem with Tank, always has good info and stirs the conversation. He's just an a-ss like the rest of us ;)

Did he turn you onto this forum or you both knew it before meeting?

Edited by WildCard

Really? Wow, small world haha.

I've never had a problem with Tank, always has good info and stirs the conversation. He's just an a-ss like the rest of us ;)

Did he turn you onto this forum or you both knew it before meeting?

Yes it is. Check your messages, sent a PM by the way, and good luck on the test!

THIS IS THE AWESOME THREAD NOT THE MATHS THREAD :lol: My course was like half calc half engineering applications stuff (I took calc 2 in high school and I remember that being harder). I'm not sure there are many classes like it at non-community colleges. I'll know when I end up at some SUNY school eventually.

Edited by qwksndmonster

THIS IS THE AWESOME THREAD NOT THE MATHS THREAD :lol: My course was like half calc half engineering applications stuff (I took calc 2 in high school and I remember that being harder). I'm not sure there are many classes like it at non-community colleges. I'll know when I end up at some SUNY school eventually.

Where do you go now?

Kids these days.

Studying for finals, especially calculus, is now considered awesome.

:unsure:

I'm re-teaching it to myself right now. I'm trying to go back to school in the fall and I have some catching up to do. I'm really surprised at how much I remember.

Calculus is kinda fun. Or at least more fun than it was six years ago.

Almost once a week I remind my son that, yes, there are plenty of real life situations where that math you hate so much gets used.

"And Mommy said, "It's OK to....it's been 20 days since I had my visitor".....but Daddy wanted to be safe just in case, so he used the mean time it took him to make his happy face and would abandon ship at 2 minutes 17 seconds. But Daddy didn't realize Mommy was going to do that thing where she pretends she is about to fall off of her bike seat and has her arms full of Fabroge eggs.....so Daddy's mean time took a hit that day.....and Mommy failed to inform Daddy that by visitor, she meant your Grandmother....it was actually day 13 of 28......and here you are......so you see....math ruins lives......"

"And Mommy said, "It's OK to....it's been 20 days since I had my visitor".....but Daddy wanted to be safe just in case, so he used the mean time it took him to make his happy face and would abandon ship at 2 minutes 17 seconds. But Daddy didn't realize Mommy was going to do that thing where she pretends she is about to fall off of her bike seat and has her arms full of Fabroge eggs.....so Daddy's mean time took a hit that day.....and Mommy failed to inform Daddy that by visitor, she meant your Grandmother....it was actually day 13 of 28......and here you are......so you see....math ruins lives......"

And once again, you have proven, without a doubt, that TP is a crappy owner ..........