Things that are AWESOME...

SDS

So I finally bit the bullet and signed up for HBO. Caught up on GoT.

Discovered VEEP. Love this show.

And finally I get to watch The Wire.

The Wire is just outstanding.

If you haven't watched The Sopranos, that should be on your list too.

Also, Deadwood didn't get much publicity, but IMHO was very close to the other 2.

Also, Deadwood didn't get much publicity, but IMHO was very close to the other 2.

IMO Deadwood is the best show ever produced by HBO. I was pissed how it was never given a proper ending.

IMO Deadwood is the best show ever produced by HBO. I was pissed how it was never given a proper ending.

Ian McShane's performance in Deadwood was great -- on a par with James Gandolfini's in the Sopranos IMO.

(BTW, I had lunch a few years ago in a restaurant near my office and James Gandolfini was at the next table. He was a big, scary-looking dude.)

Edited by nfreeman

So I finally bit the bullet and signed up for HBO. Caught up on GoT.

Discovered VEEP. Love this show.

And finally I get to watch The Wire.

Veep is excellent. I started getting into it about halfway through last year, and now I'm hooked. What I really like is I missed a ton of it, haven't gone back to watch, and don't feel obligated to do so to get up to speed.

Just finished Season 1. Outstanding. It probably means more to me than some as I know the actual areas depicted in the series. I drive through some of those streets and certainly recognize the area from the news reports. I have been by the low rises, towers and church depicted in the series.

Optical illusions are awesome. I stopped at a red light today three or four cars back, next to a parked car on my right. I knew I stopped. I knew my foot was on the brake. But, suddenly, I was moving forward. I really stood on the brake. I noticed that I wasn't any closer to the back of the car in front of me than when I started. Confusion. Then I figured it out. Yep, I'm smart that way. The parked car to my right had been backing up so it could tuck in behind me. Thank God I didn't do the old person reaction of hitting the gas thinking it was the brake.

Yesterday I was trying to get in touch with someone I used to work for up here in Boston to get a reference for a job interview that I have tomorrow. It turns out that he has moved on to a high ranking position at Duke, where he runs his department. He was glad to give me a reference, but then he asked me if I'd be interested in a job in Durham.

So that was unexpected. The timing is a bit crazy as my family is moving down there later this month. At the start of the day, I had no idea where this former boss had moved on to, and by the end of the day, I wound up with a very interesting scenario.

Yesterday I was trying to get in touch with someone I used to work for up here in Boston to get a reference for a job interview that I have tomorrow. It turns out that he has moved on to a high ranking position at Duke, where he runs his department. He was glad to give me a reference, but then he asked me if I'd be interested in a job in Durham.

So that was unexpected. The timing is a bit crazy as my family is moving down there later this month. At the start of the day, I had no idea where this former boss had moved on to, and by the end of the day, I wound up with a very interesting scenario.

Sounds like you and Mrs Shrader might've found your ticket out of Baaahstan.... hope it works out for you!

This little company just sent out its first orders today- they take hockey sticks that were broken in college and professional games and turn them into phone cases. Kind of pricey, but made in Detroit, and you never know when the case you get is a former NHLer's stick. If you don't dig the one you get, they'll have alternatives you can swap in.

Pretty neat.

http://www.originalstix.com/

Sounds like you and Mrs Shrader might've found your ticket out of Baaahstan.... hope it works out for you!

The timing is tough though. If the other place comes through with an offer, it would be well ahead of the stuff in NC and I can't turn that one down. I do get the impression that the first place (in Boston) is going to be quick to make a decision either way.

The timing is tough though. If the other place comes through with an offer, it would be well ahead of the stuff in NC and I can't turn that one down. I do get the impression that the first place (in Boston) is going to be quick to make a decision either way.

couldn't you take the boston job, then leave for the NC job 2 months later?

Why?

Perhaps not everyone views ownership and labor as two warring camps, where one side is or should be utterly heedless of the other.

Shrader: is the job at Duke U., or at a company in Durham? If the former, I would advise taking it very seriously.

Edited by nfreeman

Perhaps not everyone views ownership and labor as two warring camps, where one side is or should be utterly heedless of the other.

Shrader: is the job at Duke U., or at a company in Durham? If the former, I would advise taking it very seriously.

Nor do I, despite my Marx tattoo and Chairman Mao Posters.

My argument would be more along the lines that doing what is right for your family is so important that if it occasionally works to the detriment of an employer, that's ok.