What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

BLTs tonight. Slathered in Mayo, the way god intended.

Once bacon is introduced into the sandwich, mayonnaise is required.  Period.

Butter? Hmmm. I will not fight you. I do think I will have a much easier time defending mayo and tomatoes than you will defending butter and tomatoes.

I still say the tomatoes have to star in this. There's no room for fancy, crusty, chewy bread. You want to softly bite into this sandwich and get right to the tomato.

The Italian bread soaks up every bit of those tomato juices. Notice, I did not say a baguette--way too crusty.  The Italian loaf is perfect.  It passes the juicy tomato situation on to the next bite.  It becomes amazing, but the reason why is because of the slightly crusty bread.

Mrs. iT and I were looking for a place close by that we've never had dinner at tonight and decided we'd try cafe Sol in Bristol. We've had weekend breakfast there many times but never really thought about it for dinner. Neither of us were disappointed. Nice little place with live music and a nice atmosphere. We sat outside and watched the storms roll in. The owner is Norwegian I believe but with Bristol mtn so close it also had a bit of a crunchy feel. Nedloh had the run on draft beers. I'm close to the brewery but unfortunately do not like their style. I had a Nedloh amber that was good but ambers are forgiving to brew and with me being a hop head anyways I decided to move on. I switched to the southern tier IPA. I ordered the one special they had. Lemon pepper cod over a bed of wild quinoa and rice. Mrs. iT had the turkey pot pie with some of the best veloute sauce I've had. It was topped with a puff pastry that stood a mile high. Great place.

• 2 weeks later...

On my bike ride today I stopped at a coffee shop that several people recommended and ordered a cappuccino and a sandwich.  The sandwich was wrapped in plastic.  The bill?  almost $16!  I told them they could keep their sandwich; $11 is too much for a cold, pre-made sandwich.  The cappuccino was good through.

14370209_1072784569437099_21808967445505

But I still needed a bite to eat for lunch.  I rode a few miles and found a tiny taquieria

14440883_1072823422766547_28782064863318

and they set me up with a $3.75 burrito which really hit the spot.

14390948_1072825862766303_72328708735561

• 4 weeks later...

I know some of you will decry this as hippie food, but it's seriously tasty: sun dried tomato, kale, and quinoa mac n cheese. Om nom nom.

Quinoa and macaroni in the same dish seems like overkill to me.  Sun-dried tomato, kale, quinoa, and cheese sounds awesome though.

Quinoa and macaroni in the same dish seems like overkill to me. Sun-dried tomato, kale, quinoa, and cheese sounds awesome though.

The recipe name is a bit misleading that way, but the quinoa does replace the pasta:

http://fitfoodiefinds.com/2016/01/sun-dried-tomato-kale-quinoa-mac-n-cheese/

No matter how much you try to convince yourselves that quinoa is wonderful, don't pretend you wouldn't rather be having what I am right now.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mac-and-cheese-recipe2.html

Nope.  (EDIT:  I should add.  If I'm eating mac and cheese, I want it to be Velveeta or Kraft Deluxe.  The quinoa dish, I wouldn't consider mac and cheese.  Mac and cheese is an orange-yellow color not found in nature, has a gummy texture--especially the next morning--and contains about 1000% of your recommended intake of sodium.  PA likes his frozen pot pies and boxed "mashed" potatoes; I like my fake mac and cheese.)

I did have an amazing buttermilk fried chicken sandwich today, though.

Edited by Eleven

Starting dinner for tomorrow today.  Elegant comfort food. 

I've got beef short ribs braising in pinot noir and mirepoix right now.  After a few hours at 275 degrees I'll put them in the fridge overnight.  The idea is to let all that sumptuous gelatin I just created reset.  The braising liquid is going to get hit with the stick blender to make it silky smooth, and then I'll separate the fat out.

Tomorrow when the meat has firmed back up I'll debone it, cut it into bite sized pieces, brown it in a skillet.  And the braising liquid will get reduced to a syrup.  It'll get served on polenta and topped with a tomato jam.  A drizzle of truffle oil to finish.  Garlicky, wine braised beet greens are the planned side.

Right now..... Old Grandad 114 with a couple chunks of ice in the glass.

Edited by We've

The wife is working overtime tonight, so the boy and I are bachelors for the evening.

I had a turkey sandwich on Italian bread, with Swiss cheese and sour cream and onion chips on the sandwich. The boy had cinnamon toast crunch.

I think I've eaten cereal about 6 times in my life.

No matter how much you try to convince yourselves that quinoa is wonderful, don't pretend you wouldn't rather be having what I am right now.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mac-and-cheese-recipe2.html

I'm sure it was delicious, but my poor arteries can't handle that one, lol.

Starting dinner for tomorrow today. Elegant comfort food.

I've got beef short ribs braising in pinot noir and mirepoix right now. After a few hours at 275 degrees I'll put them in the fridge overnight. The idea is to let all that sumptuous gelatin I just created reset. The braising liquid is going to get hit with the stick blender to make it silky smooth, and then I'll separate the fat out.

Tomorrow when the meat has firmed back up I'll debone it, cut it into bite sized pieces, brown it in a skillet. And the braising liquid will get reduced to a syrup. It'll get served on polenta and topped with a tomato jam. A drizzle of truffle oil to finish. Garlicky, wine braised beet greens are the planned side.

Right now..... Old Grandad 114 with a couple chunks of ice in the glass.

Never would've thought to put short ribs and red wine together, but wow that sounds amazing.

I'm very much a recipe cook, and this is why: I made some meatloaf a few weeks ago and while I was making the "glaze", I realized I didn't have enough ketchup for the recipe. I looked around and decided instead of ketchup, cumin, and cayenne, I'd use the ketchup I had, skip the cayenne, and make the rest up with Trader Joe's Sriracha BBQ sauce and cumin. It. was. awesome. But I'll never be able to recreate it. I want it again. I've never been good at embracing the fleeting moments of life; I always want to repeat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.