What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

The trick is mildly flavored cheeses. Mild white cheddar and gruyere are perfect for not drowning out the flavor of seafood.

That makes some sense, especially on the gruyere end.  Not sure I'm going to agree on mild cheddar.

Restaurants that do lobster mac?  It's drowned.  People pay $16 for mac and cheese, with (probably) canned lobster bits in it.  Amazing to me.

That makes some sense, especially on the gruyere end. Not sure I'm going to agree on mild cheddar.

Restaurants that do lobster mac? It's drowned. People pay $16 for mac and cheese, with (probably) canned lobster bits in it. Amazing to me.

Its expensive home made too. There is good canned lump crab meat and lousy canned crab meat. The good stuff is really good. And starts at almost 30/lb. The bad stuff is half that and tastes like cheap canned tuna. we bought the good stuff. We could have talen her out to dinner.

Its expensive home made too. There is good canned lump crab meat and lousy canned crab meat. The good stuff is really good. And starts at almost 30/lb. The bad stuff is half that and tastes like cheap canned tuna. we bought the good stuff. We could have talen her out to dinner.

I'm aware.  I used to live in DC, remember?

All the more reason not to cover it in cheese sauce!

Swamp, I could give you lobster mac and cheese and you wouldn't have any idea that there is lobster in it, except for the texture difference.  I get that you don't eat seafood--that's fine--but lobster (and crab) is such a slightly-flavored food that it loses everything in cheese sauce.

I've bent my brain trying to thing of an analogue, but I can't.

How about this. Seafood is like cocaine. It's way too expensive for what you get out of it, so why even bother.

I still open a can of Bumble Bee once in a while.  And I LOVE me some sardines or herring on rye toast.

Anchovies in olive oil with some fresh bread is amazing.

I am looking for a place that has great BBQ Chicken, not smoked and not Chiavetta's. Just grilled with some good sauce, if anyone has suggestions.  

Edited by deluca67

I didn't get the chicken, but I would guess it's good.

http://www.toutantbuffalo.com/

I've never had the chicken there, either, but everything I have had is amazing.

DeLuca, if you like roasted chicken, you and your wife, or you and a friend, should check out Buffalo Proper.  (It's a portion for two people.)

And agreed on the anchovies. 

I didn't get the chicken, but I would guess it's good.

http://www.toutantbuffalo.com/

the fried chicken at Toutant is ah-may-zing. Best in town by far.

Although from the sound of the original request, the OP was looking for BBQ chicken. I which case I would suggest Fat Bob's Barbeque on Virginia near Allen.

• 2 weeks later...

Josie's mom heard me complaining about Wegmans no longer stocking my favorite spice, Pride of Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika, so she ordered some and mailed it to me!

That said, I am looking for excuses to use it. Tonight's workout was strenuous, so I whisked up a half dozen eggs, dumped in a generous helping of hot paprika, some milk, and boom, killer scrambled eggs. A Flying Bison Kölsch down the side and I'm gonna fall asleep on the couch watching the Olympics.

Josie's mom heard me complaining about Wegmans no longer stocking my favorite spice, Pride of Szeged Hungarian Hot Paprika, so she ordered some and mailed it to me!

That said, I am looking for excuses to use it. Tonight's workout was strenuous, so I whisked up a half dozen eggs, dumped in a generous helping of hot paprika, some milk, and boom, killer scrambled eggs. A Flying Bison Kölsch down the side and I'm gonna fall asleep on the couch watching the Olympics.

Gotta do an authentic Hungarian goulash.

Poor Josie.

I use the vast majority of my paprika in paella and a panko crust to put on salmon in the oven.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a Mexican sort of day. Wife had an unusual (for her) craving for breakfast, huevos rancheros. So, the chorizo, beans, and poblanos came out. Being a really hot summer, I discovered that the poblanos are running about as hot as jalapenos this year. Talk about an eye opener!

And, started harvesting from the garden in earnest today. Put 2 gallons of tomatoes for sauce in the feeezer. And I made 6 pints of red salsa, and 4 pints of salsa verde too (6 tomatillo plants this year).

So..... Lunch was salsa and chips. Which meant tequila was prominently featured......

Ribs are going now. Def not Mexican. An Asian spice rub with a pineapple habanero glaze at the end.

I'm going to need another bottle of tequila.

I made some crabapple jam tonight. (Who am I kidding — I am crabapple jam.) I'll post some pics tomorrow maybe. The color is just gorgeous. It's already setting up and I can't wait for toast in the morning.

I don't know what it is with the American sweet tooth, but just about every recipe I found had a 1:1 ratio of juice/pulp to sugar. That's crazy. I ended up with nine cups of juicy pulp and added 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 2 3/4 cups of white. It's sweet and sour. I want to taste the crabapple. Nine cups of sugar would have been way too sweet.

I made some crabapple jam tonight. (Who am I kidding — I am crabapple jam.) I'll post some pics tomorrow maybe. The color is just gorgeous. It's already setting up and I can't wait for toast in the morning.

I don't know what it is with the American sweet tooth, but just about every recipe I found had a 1:1 ratio of juice/pulp to sugar. That's crazy. I ended up with nine cups of juicy pulp and added 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 2 3/4 cups of white. It's sweet and sour. I want to taste the crabapple. Nine cups of sugar would have been way too sweet.

I think most jam recipes are so sweet because a certain amount of sugar is necessary to set the jam and there is no way of knowing how much sugar is naturally in the fruit you are using.

Well, that, and Big Recipe is in cahoots with Big Insulin. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.