What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I think most jam recipes are so sweet because a certain amount of sugar is necessary to set the jam and there is no way of knowing how much sugar is naturally in the fruit you are using.

Well, that, and Big Recipe is in cahoots with Big Insulin. 

Even with the modest amount of sugar I used, it still turned out sweet to my taste. And I love sweets. It set fine. A little loose maybe.

I've got an incurable craving for hot spicy food today. It's gotta be all the #tacotruck stuff going on. I think we're getting a pizza tonight and I'm getting myself some suicide wings. I want to hallucinate. 

Ask if they'll add wing sauce to the red sauce on the pizza. :)

Ask if they'll add wing sauce to the red sauce on the pizza. :)

No chance. Josie has to be able to eat the pizza. I have to keep the nuclear weapons to myself.

Indian takeout instead, maybe?

I'm not big on Indian food. Bad memories of college dorms smelling like a bus station in Calcutta.

No chance. Josie has to be able to eat the pizza. I have to keep the nuclear weapons to myself.

I'm not big on Indian food. Bad memories of college dorms smelling like a bus station in Calcutta.

This, my friends, is true love.

And even better, I'll be out at the barn while he enjoys the next day effects of his nuclear arse-nal. 

Fudge Stripes. They are this nation's finest store cookie. Mid-evening Eleven will be along here forthwith to either agree or rip me open a fresh package.

I know there are a few foodies on this board, but I think even they (or especially they) will appreciate one of the simple delights of the late summer season: a simple, good old-fashioned tomato sandwich. A good tomato is a given, and they are everywhere now. The bread really makes it happen. Of course it has to be white bread. But not a cheap, thin, gummy white bread. No Stroehmanns. Neither should it be a "good" crusty bread. I found a Sarah Lee Artesan bread. Nice thick slices. Decent body and texture. Soft crust. It has to be able to hold up to the mayo and the tomato juices. Lay down a thick line of mayo (Miracle Whip will grudgingly be allowed); pepper that mayo; apply your sliced tomatoes, at least two, not too thick or too thin. Overlapping or stacking is fine. Then plenty of salt. You won't have this in January with those storebought painted tennis balls. Enjoy while the enjoying is good.

Later: fried green tomatoes.

Edited by PASabreFan

Fudge Stripes. They are this nation's finest store cookie. Mid-evening Eleven will be along here forthwith to either agree or rip me open a fresh package.

I know there are a few foodies on this board, but I think even they (or especially they) will appreciate one of the simple delights of the late summer season: a simple, good old-fashioned tomato sandwich. A good tomato is a given, and they are everywhere now. The bread really makes it happen. Of course it has to be white bread. But not a cheap, thin, gummy white bread. No Stroehmanns. Neither should it be a "good" crusty bread. I found a Sarah Lee Artesan bread. Nice thick slices. Decent body and texture. Soft crust. It has to be able to hold up to the mayo and the tomato juices. Lay down a thick line of mayo (Miracle Whip will grudgingly be allowed); pepper that mayo; apply your sliced tomatoes, at least two, not too thick or too thin. Overlapping or stacking is fine. Then plenty of salt. You won't have this in January with those storebought painted tennis balls. Enjoy while the enjoying is good.

Chinese co-worker took us engineers to Dino BBQ on Monday night. Some of his Chinese friends came too. I ordered fried green tomatoes because I wanted them to try em. They were enjoyed!

August tomatoes make February worth living through.

Fudge stripes are the best store bought cookie.

Seconded!

However, no tomatoes on my sandwiches. Sorry, everyone. I've come a long way on tomatoes. I would not allow them on my plate for the longest of time. I've finally begun eating them in macaroni salad, potato salad and pasta salad. Oh, and on my Mexican Pizza from Taco bell. Check back with me next year.

On to Dinosaur BBQ. I was at the state fair on Sunday. I ate everything in sight, as per usual. Before I left, the line had died down at the dinosaur stand, so I got my pulled pork sandwich. For my money it's still the best pulled pork sandwich out there. I freaking love it. I didn't have time to get the ribs this year, so I fired up some baby backs on Monday and I hit those up with a generous slathering of Wango Tango. I live out of the Dinosaur cook book all summer long.

Rented a cabin for the holiday weekend outside of Asheville and spent the morning cruising the Blue Ridge parkway and some short kid friendly hikes, now visiting a few breweries....

Wicked Weed:

Juiceless IPA

Pineapple sage saison

German pils

Heading over to the brand new New Belgium brewery next.

Sierra Nevada tomorrow...

Rented a cabin for the holiday weekend outside of Asheville and spent the morning cruising the Blue Ridge parkway and some short kid friendly hikes, now visiting a few breweries....

Wicked Weed:

Juiceless IPA

Pineapple sage saison

German pils

Heading over to the brand new New Belgium brewery next.

Sierra Nevada tomorrow...

Have fun! I love it there, I'll be up there in the fall. 

Which one of those has food?

Wicked Weed, the food is almost better than the beer believe it or not. Sierra Nevada has great food too and is not to be missed. New Belgium has an impressive layout on the French Broad but overall it was meh.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out Wicked Weed when I go up. Enjoy the rest of your stay! 

At Sierra Nevada today. Enjoying a Serrano pale ale. Just fantastic.

If you're visiting Asheville, wicked weed and Sierra Nevada are musts.

attachicon.gifIMG_20160904_130018.jpg

Thanks for the pic of the menu, that's looks enticing. 

Last time I was there I went through the River Art's District. I didn't stop in because I had just eaten, but the aroma coming from 12 Bones Smokehouse on the river just off the Haywood Rd bridge was enough to make your mouth water. 

I also read about a place called Burger Bar that is supposed to have the best burgers in town. I'm open too all kinds of places, fine dining, fast food, holes in the wall......... When I looked this place up, it really is a hole from the outside. Those are usually the best places though. It's been there for years and I might have to stop in. 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burger-Bar/117798551579430

Ok, I'll weigh in, since you asked.  Fudge Stripes are a decent store-bought cookie.  I happen to like Fudge Grahams better, and nothing beats Oreos dunked in ice-cold milk.  But I'd put Fudge Stripes in my starting six.

What the real problem is, is the heresy that you are committing with the tomatoes.  You want bakery Italian bread, sliced horizontally, butter, salt, and maybe a little black pepper.  Possibly fresh basil.  Possibly.  What you're doing with that mayonnaise is a class-C felony.

Eleven, what is it with you eschewing classic food combos. Mayo and maters is as classic as peanut butter and jelly.

On the deck this evening with a recreation of an amazing cocktail I had on vacation this year. Carrot and ginger infused vodka, ginger liquer, and a splash of orange juice. Refreshing and a touch spicy.

Have a few filets of Lake Ontario salmon marinating in soy sauce and brown sugar. We'll have a Asian slaw to accompany, and cheese and chorizo stuffed, bacon wrapped jalapenos, just because.

Ok, I'll weigh in, since you asked.  Fudge Stripes are a decent store-bought cookie.  I happen to like Fudge Grahams better, and nothing beats Oreos dunked in ice-cold milk.  But I'd put Fudge Stripes in my starting six.

What the real problem is, is the heresy that you are committing with the tomatoes.  You want bakery Italian bread, sliced horizontally, butter, salt, and maybe a little black pepper.  Possibly fresh basil.  Possibly.  What you're doing with that mayonnaise is a class-C felony.

Butter? Hmmm. I will not fight you. I do think I will have a much easier time defending mayo and tomatoes than you will defending butter and tomatoes.

I still say the tomatoes have to star in this. There's no room for fancy, crusty, chewy bread. You want to softly bite into this sandwich and get right to the tomato.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.