What are you eating (or drinking)?

Weave

I'm very much a recipe cook, and this is why: I made some meatloaf a few weeks ago and while I was making the "glaze", I realized I didn't have enough ketchup for the recipe. I looked around and decided instead of ketchup, cumin, and cayenne, I'd use the ketchup I had, skip the cayenne, and make the rest up with Trader Joe's Sriracha BBQ sauce and cumin. It. was. awesome. But I'll never be able to recreate it. I want it again. I've never been good at embracing the fleeting moments of life; I always want to repeat.

What you just described is what a good home cook does!

Edited by Eleven

• 4 weeks later...

First batch of goulash for the season is in the oven. I confess that we always called it goulash, but I think it's probably closer to Marhapörkölt (Hungarian beef stew). Beef, onions and lots of paprika and other spices in a thick sauce served over egg noodles.

It might be my favorite food of all time. If there's any truth to the stuff that says people tend to gravitate to the food of their genetic ancestors, then this is the food of my people.

Dude, post the recipe. I want to try it. My goulash confessions are 1. I always spell it ghoulash before checking myself and 2. My mother's version of goulash was spaghetti sauce, macaroni, hamburger, and peppers and onions. I'd really like to try something more authentic, by whatever name. Thanks.

Here's the recipe:

Oven at 300* while you prep.

2lbs stew beef

2 large onions, quartered

1 28oz can of whole tomatoes in juice

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 tbsp paprika

2 tbsp dried parsley

1 bay leaf

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Flour

Water

Vegetable or olive oil

Egg noodles (those broad Pennsylvania Dutch ones)

I use a large cast iron deep skillet with a lid. I consider this crucial to the cooking process. I'll check the size later and update.

Quarter the onions. In a container that seals well, add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of cold water and 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour. Shake it until mixed. If you have a lot of meat and onions you could up the water to 2 cups.

On the stove top heat up some oil in the pan. Brown the stew beef and onions for a few minutes. No need to completely brown. Add the tomatoes in juice and the flour/water mixture. Add all the spices and Worcestershire sauce. Stir everything up and heat on the stove top until bubbly. Try not to let anything stick to the bottom of the pan.

Once bubbly put in the oven on the middle rack for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I usually start making the noodles at the hour and a half mark.

While the noodles are cooking take the pan out and keep it on low heat on the stove top. Mix up another batch of flour and water with the same proportions. You can eyeball by the thickness of the sauce whether you need more or less flour, water or both. You'll learn after a few tries exactly how to get this right. When in doubt just add a little at a time and stir to see how it's thickening up and whether or not you have enough to go with the meat and veggies. Let the stew come back to bubbling again and you're done.

Some notes: You gotta have good paprika. You can get by fine with McCormick, but I try to buy the good stuff online. Particularly Pride of Szeged Hot Paprika, which I substitute for half of the recipe's paprika allotment. I live for paprika.

You can also substitute 3/4 tsp of powdered thyme for the dried thyme. I think it makes for stronger flavor.

I'll post a picture when it's done so you can see the sauce consistency.

Thanks! I'm going to make this. It gives me an excuse to buy a cast iron pan. I take it when it's on the stove top, the lid is off, but you put the lid on while it's in the oven? Also, this serves one, correct? :angel:

For me, yes :lol:

You'll want to work with the lid off on the stove top for stirring.

post-1361-0-98876100-1479746814_thumb.jpg

First batch of goulash for the season is in the oven. I confess that we always called it goulash, but I think it's probably closer to Marhapörkölt (Hungarian beef stew). Beef, onions and lots of paprika and other spices in a thick sauce served over egg noodles.

It might be my favorite food of all time. If there's any truth to the stuff that says people tend to gravitate to the food of their genetic ancestors, then this is the food of my people.

My Mom makes Hungarian Goulash that is essentially stew beef and onions with gravy over egg noodles as well. From looking at your recipe it's probably similar, although I don't think she uses tomatoes in hers (if she does, it's tomato paste and not actual tomatoes. Goulash in central/eastern Europe is basically like chili in the US or just the word stew. Infinite types and varieties and pretty much always delicious.

My Mom makes Hungarian Goulash that is essentially stew beef and onions with gravy over egg noodles as well. From looking at your recipe it's probably similar, although I don't think she uses tomatoes in hers (if she does, it's tomato paste and not actual tomatoes. Goulash in central/eastern Europe is basically like chili in the US or just the word stew. Infinite types and varieties and pretty much always delicious.

I'm having leftovers for lunch today and I could not be more excited :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever go to a fancy French restaurant, having never had fancy French food before?

Yep, I'll never get that money back. I'll start by saying, I enjoyed my steak. I enjoyed it very much. My wife however, did not enjoy her chicken. Nope, nope, nope. Took one bite and she was f'n done! Le coq au Vin, if you're interested. I quite enjoyed it after she decided that she wasn't eating.

See what I get for trying to be spontaneous. Yeah, spontaneity is overrated. I'll go back to the formula. The formula always works.

Heaven help you if your wife ever develops dietary issues.  My wife doesn't eat any meat except fish, is gluten free, and can't have tomatoes or eggplant.  Then she says, "Pick somewhere for dinner, honey."  Yeah, right.

(Eating any of those flare her fibromyalgia.)

Heaven help you if your wife ever develops dietary issues.  My wife doesn't eat any meat except fish, is gluten free, and can't have tomatoes or eggplant.  Then she says, "Pick somewhere for dinner, honey."  Yeah, right.

(Eating any of those flare her fibromyalgia.)

As someone who is currently keeping a diary to figure out what is making me deathly ill every week (as in, most people would go home for stomach flu, but here I sit...), I feel for her. 

Takes the freakin' joy right out of eating. I just don't eat much anymore. I eat on weekends with d4rk. And then surprise surprise, I get violently sick Monday or Tuesday at work. Hit today. A bit earlier than usual. Ruins plans. Dinner and a movie? Yeah right. Movie and then dinner, because invariably I'll be dying afterwards. It's true, I don't care where we eat- it'll only make me sick no matter what it is. I doubt d4rk would wanna live on my pathetic diet that keeps the gross at bay. 

sorry, d4rk. You chose a broken one. 

Thanks! I'm going to make this. It gives me an excuse to buy a cast iron pan. I take it when it's on the stove top, the lid is off, but you put the lid on while it's in the oven? Also, this serves one, correct? :angel:

You might want to look around at some flea markets. They're usually somewhat cheap if you don't mind putting some work into seasoning them. I have a nice Griswold 9" (made in Erie, PA) that looks like they machined it smooth when they manufactured it. I think I paid $20 for it. The newer pans I have have that sand-case rough look which isn't as non-stick as the machined stuff. I haven't used them in awhile, looks like they need to be seasoned again. :(

I also have a cheap, light, cast iron wok. That thing is "rustic" but you can put any amount of heat on it and it's fine. http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/trcairwok.html

Simple mechanical issues.  Adjust and move on.  (It's worked for us for 32+ years so far.)

And yes, I know, easier said than done when it comes to the adjustments.

Sorry if I came across as terse. It's been a nerve-ridden day for me- announced my leaving to the whole company. Apologies if I seemed aggressive- I'mma step away from the keyboard for a little bit. 

Ate at 716 Saturday pregaming. The Beef on weck egg rolls are a show stopper. Jesus I could have eaten 50 of them. The pulled pork tacos are only slightly behind.

The Beef on Weck wings were underwhelming.

Whatever gluten is it must be delicious because I'm eating some gluten free pretzels right now and they are awful.

Edited by inkman

Ate at 716 Saturday pregaming. The Beef on weck egg rolls are a show stopper. Jesus I could have eaten 50 of them. The pulled pork tacos are only slightly behind.

The Beef on Weck wings were underwhelming.

Whatever gluten is it must be delicious because I'm eating some gluten free pretzels right now and they are awful.

I have not had any of those three dishes at 716, but everything that I have had has been a complete and utter disappointment.  Damn, I think their food is horrible.  Like I'd rather eat Arby's.

So I'm going total junk next time with the egg rolls, I guess.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.