Ryan Miller denies involvement in trade rumors

spndnchz

I would be saddened to see Staff go. He has really grown on me recently. He has been one of the few guys willing to go to the defense of his teammates. Plus there is also this:

That being said, Bobby Ryan is a special player. But given that Boyes and Leino are untradeable, it looks like we would have to send Ennis, Sekera, and Stafford. I am torn here. One the one hand, doesn't the saying go, the team that gets the best player wins the trade? On the other hand, Ennis's potential is not yet fully reached, we saw Staff score 30 in 65 games last year, and Sekera is becoming a solid 5-6 (maybe even 4) Dman.

Interestingly, I wonder if the Sabres could benefit from getting rid of these players because it would allow McNabb and Kassian to prove themselves. Still... an awful lot to give up for Bobby.

via jeremy white at GR, chris botta (nhl insider, i guess) tweeted: It may not lead to a Bobby Ryan deal, but I can confirm the Ducks and Sabres are discussing a possible trade.

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL/status/141947082389991424

Wow, are we really in the Ryan sweepstakes?! Pegullaville pumpd us all up because the stated goal was to win the cup and Darcy went out and made some moves that looked good on paper. Now that some of our weaknesses have been revealed (lack of scoring), if Darcy goes out and makes a move like this, we really do have an owner that cares because this sort of deal never involved the Sabres in the past. If it takes Stafford, Sekera and a guy like Brennan than you make that deal in a heartbeat. I'd throw in our first or the second we got from Calgary (even in a strong draft class) to get Bobby. He's very young, scored 30+ goals in multiple seasons and doesn't have an outrageous cap hit. Let's get a deal done!!!!!

Either way, should be interesting times in Sabresland over the next 48 hours.

A Hecht and a Paul for the price of a Goose?

I'd like to save money on these 2 guys too, but that would be very skinny (and unrealistic).

I don't know. I've been a pretty big gaustad basher over the years, but his play and skating is much improved this year. Of course it's a contract year, but he is actually earning his cap number of 2.3 right now. Of course I would have no objection to a hometown discount...

He's a 30pt player with very good faceoff skills. IMO a borderline 3rd liner. Off the top of my head his equivalent is probably about Jason Chimera or maybe Steve Ott. I'd say he's about market value right where he is now. No raise.

I would be saddened to see Staff go. He has really grown on me recently. He has been one of the few guys willing to go to the defense of his teammates. Plus there is also this:

That being said, Bobby Ryan is a special player. But given that Boyes and Leino are untradeable, it looks like we would have to send Ennis, Sekera, and Stafford. I am torn here. One the one hand, doesn't the saying go, the team that gets the best player wins the trade? On the other hand, Ennis's potential is not yet fully reached, we saw Staff score 30 in 65 games last year, and Sekera is becoming a solid 5-6 (maybe even 4) Dman.

Interestingly, I wonder if the Sabres could benefit from getting rid of these players because it would allow McNabb and Kassian to prove themselves. Still... an awful lot to give up for Bobby.

Good stuff here boys.

I agree with ink that if it's Stafford and Ennis, the defenseman won't be Sekera -- although I think the biggest reason for that is that it would be too much salary for Anaheim to take on. It would most likely be MAG, IMHO.

Only if the prospect isn't named McNabb. Stafford and Ennis is huge value. The D prospect would be inconsequential.

My thought on this is that if we bring in Ryan than that gives Roy a true 30 goal scorer to run up and down the wing with him. The thought of losing Ennis in the deal is scary to me... it would be a lot to give up. IF ennis and drew are going the other way than they dont really deserve a top defensive prospect (McNabb for instance...) so we shall see. From what I have read the interest from Anaheim may be fake and they may be trying to get more out of Toronto... I would say that this will resolve itself with in the week if Anaheim continues to suck gigantic donkey... things...

ps. thxs chz for the merge, my bad :oops:

FWIW, the Anaheim Ducks can NOT bring in more players than they give away. They are at the limit for signed players. If Ryan goes and they bring in say Stafford and a d man they would have to get rid of another one of their signed players. Not a big deal but something to think about.

FWIW, the Anaheim Ducks can NOT bring in more players than they give away. They are at the limit for signed players. If Ryan goes and they bring in say Stafford and a d man they would have to get rid of another one of their signed players. Not a big deal but something to think about.

Parros? Can we afford to have a total goon in our lineup consistently?

My thought on this is that if we bring in Ryan than that gives Roy a true 30 goal scorer to run up and down the wing with him. The thought of losing Ennis in the deal is scary to me... it would be a lot to give up. IF ennis and drew are going the other way than they dont really deserve a top defensive prospect (McNabb for instance...) so we shall see. From what I have read the interest from Anaheim may be fake and they may be trying to get more out of Toronto... I would say that this will resolve itself with in the week if Anaheim continues to suck gigantic donkey... things...

ps. thxs chz for the merge, my bad :oops:

One could argue he already has a thirty goal scorer he runs up and down the ice with.

Well, I just listened to Miller's interview from earlier today. For anyone here who doesn't like Miller or thinks he's not a good team guy, I would urge you to listen to the interview. He addressed the trade rumor very directly and openly and spoke (to my ear very sincerely) about having grown up here, wanting to win here, feeling part of the community here and not seeing how another situation could be as good as it is here. He also spoke quite directly about how he wasn't playing well before he got hurt and how he needs to do better -- no excuses and no blaming anyone else.

It was great to hear -- mature and candid and appreciative -- and a stark contrast from the series of cliches one usually hears from player interviews. It also put me in mind of 11's point about wanting certain guys to be the guys to bring the Sabres to greatness. Miller is one of those guys for me.

I don't want Kassian anywhere near the 4th line. He's not a goon, he just has some thug like tendencies. :-)

Yep! and that is exactaly what Buffalo needs. Someone like that who plays a lot of minutes and is a top 6 guy, not a 3rd or 4th liner.

Not only will he put a little fear in you because he will beat you up, then he will go get a hat trick or have a 4 or 5 point night also.

The author says he "keeps hearing" that Miller is unhappy in Buffalo, so presumably he's hearing that from people who aren't Miller but *are* close to the situation.

I'm not sure why anyone doesn't think this is possible. Aside from the stuff about Miller's wife wanting to be close to LA (which has always been speculation), I never get the impression that Miller is all that happy here. He doesn't seem all that happy period. I know most of his recent quotes have been about Lucic and his latest concussion, but the fans have definitely been hard on him too over the last few years. I could see him wanting a change of scenery.

Right.. We're so hard on him that us fans chanted his name in a certain game 4 last year.... The dude needs to shut up, count his blessings, make his millions, and play some games.

Well, I just listened to Miller's interview from earlier today. For anyone here who doesn't like Miller or thinks he's not a good team guy, I would urge you to listen to the interview. He addressed the trade rumor very directly and openly and spoke (to my ear very sincerely) about having grown up here, wanting to win here, feeling part of the community here and not seeing how another situation could be as good as it is here. He also spoke quite directly about how he wasn't playing well before he got hurt and how he needs to do better -- no excuses and no blaming anyone else.

It was great to hear -- mature and candid and appreciative -- and a stark contrast from the series of cliches one usually hears from player interviews. It also put me in mind of 11's point about wanting certain guys to be the guys to bring the Sabres to greatness. Miller is one of those guys for me.

Right! and would he say those same things if some other team offered him a $10 million per year renegotiated contract. Talk is cheap!

The last star forward the Boudreau coached ran him out of town. Maybe Bruce wants to make a mark by bringing in his own guys.

Bobby Ryan and Ryan Getzlaf straight up for Ovechkin and Semin? :w00t:

Interesting... I'd take BR&RG (although I don't know what their contracts look like).

Right! and would he say those same things if some other team offered him a $10 million per year renegotiated contract. Talk is cheap!

There is so much crap in this sentence I am not sure where to start...

1) There are major penalties for teams that talk to other teams players about leaving without consent... it does not happen.

2) You can not renegotiate a contract in the NHL... this isn't the NFL. Contracts are pretty well set in stone.

3) Did you listen to the interview? Miller not only sounded genuine it actually sounded like he felt bad about his play...

4) Fail.

there is so much crap in this sentence I am not sure where to start...

1) There are major penalties for teams that talk to other teams players about leaving without consent... it does not happen.

2) You can not renegotiate a contract in the NHL... this isn't the NFL. Contracts are pretty well set in stone.

3) Did you listen to the interview? Miller not only sounded genuine it actually sounded like he felt bad about his play...

4) Fail.

well put sir...thank you :beer:

Archived