F'N...tastic Fridays....

Andrew Amerk

I've been moderately to severely overweight since I was about 10 years old. Three years ago I made a commitment to start living a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy food most of the time, in the correct portions, and exercising regularly. I was approaching 40 and had no doubt that I'd be very lucky to see 50 if I did not make major changes.

Well, this week I finally hit my goal weight! Three years ago I weighed an embarrassing 305 lbs, today I weigh 173. Total loss of 132 lbs. Went from 3x shirts to M's, from a 52" waist to 34". Doing my first half-marathon later this year.

I feel F'n fantastic. :)

Wow, just the thought of trimming of 40% of someone's body weight is mind boggling to me.

Been a great week thus far...

I won a raffle with the pro shop at my local rink and won an Easton E700 helmet. Got it in Matte Black, looks very sleek.

Taking my 3 year old ice skating for the third time tonight. Hoping he will skate with the little chair assist thing by himself. Last time we went, he was not interested in putting any weight on his feet at all.

I need to figure out her ring size.

Sounds like you've solved the roommate problem as well. Good luck, man!

I've been moderately to severely overweight since I was about 10 years old. Three years ago I made a commitment to start living a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy food most of the time, in the correct portions, and exercising regularly. I was approaching 40 and had no doubt that I'd be very lucky to see 50 if I did not make major changes.

Well, this week I finally hit my goal weight! Three years ago I weighed an embarrassing 305 lbs, today I weigh 173. Total loss of 132 lbs. Went from 3x shirts to M's, from a 52" waist to 34". Doing my first half-marathon later this year.

CDX, that is absolutely F'N fantastic!

Sounds like you've solved the roommate problem as well. Good luck, man!

No, that's not going away any time soon. Her parents would just about kill her if she moved in with me right now. Sure, it's not up to them, but I have no interest in pissing someone off at this moment. The roommate will be there until at least the end of the lease in August. I don't really see anyway around that for her.

Outstanding. Good for you. You must feel so much better. You should be proud. That's not easy to do.

Thank you! Yes, I am immensely proud. And no, it was definitely not easy to do. But really, losing it was the easy part (relatively) - keeping it off is even harder. But I'm confident that the lifestyle changes I've made are permanent.

Wow, just the thought of trimming of 40% of someone's body weight is mind boggling to me.

43.28% B-)

I won a raffle with the pro shop at my local rink and won an Easton E700 helmet. Got it in Matte Black, looks very sleek.

Nice!

Three years is a lifestyle change not a diet. Congrats. I think you'll continue to do well

you, sir, are my freakin' HERO! i turn 40 in about 3 weeks, and i'm still pushing 3 bills. i've committed to losing weight and being more active, but i never dreamed of dropping to THAT. i don't think it's physically possible for me--to much bone mass. i'd be happy with where i was in college, which was a solid 220.

man ... thanks for posting this. i'm printing this and putting it on my inspirational wall.

Been a great week thus far...

Taking my 3 year old ice skating for the third time tonight. Hoping he will skate with the little chair assist thing by himself. Last time we went, he was not interested in putting any weight on his feet at all.

Sign him up for hockey if your league allows them to at at age (both my kids were playing at 3), and sign him up for skating lessons. The skating lessons are mostly figure skaters, but those girls know how to get kids up and moving. My boys (a pee wee and a squirt both playing on Tier II tournament bound teams) still take lessons - I figure if NHL skaters continue to take skating lessons, my kids should too.

That's awesome, man... congrats a hundred times over. :worthy:

As for me, I'm stoked that the weather in central PA is finally cooperating and I was able to get out snowboarding on Wed. night. Snow was soft, weather was perfect, and I haven't forgotten everything I learned the last two years, which is F'N Fantastic. Only downside is now I wanna get back out ASAP, lol. Also looking forward to a nice dinner with the bf and his parents tomorrow evening. And (hopefully) the Sabres first winning streak since November. :thumbsup:

Dude, well done. Next step, get yourself some hockey skates. :thumbsup:

That is truly an accomplishment and something to be proud of. It also proves that you could be successful ina nything you get real serious about. Congrats.

The goodies;

-it's F'n Friday already and after the holidays it couldn't come fast enough this week.

-It's payday , yeah!

-My sister and Brother in law are coming for the weekend and the kids and new puppy will get to enjoy the fresh meat.

- I am going to my first live hockey game of year(yeah), unfortuately it's for the Pens here where I live(Boo) but it's on my B-in-laws dime(yeah) however he is obnoxious Rangers fan from Long island(boo) which automatically makes me a Pens fan tonight(double boo).

-Beer will be involved. (Yeah)

Awesome CDX, you're putting me to shame. Almost two years ago I was 295, today I'm 230 (and have been for a year or so) thru mostly diet. I guess I'm actually going to have to continue working out to catch up (although I'd be exactly Miller-skinny at 173).

Sign him up for hockey if your league allows them to at at age (both my kids were playing at 3), and sign him up for skating lessons. The skating lessons are mostly figure skaters, but those girls know how to get kids up and moving. My boys (a pee wee and a squirt both playing on Tier II tournament bound teams) still take lessons - I figure if NHL skaters continue to take skating lessons, my kids should too.

My nephew will be ~30 months old next christmas when I buy him his first pair of skates. The timing seems good. I'd wait for the 3rd birthday, but since that's the middle of summer (4th of July), he would outgrow them before he ever had the chance to skate with them.

My nephew will be ~30 months old next christmas when I buy him his first pair of skates. The timing seems good. I'd wait for the 3rd birthday, but since that's the middle of summer (4th of July), he would outgrow them before he ever had the chance to skate with them.

I believe they make expandable skates for kids that age - They are entirely appropriate until he is 4 1/2or so and can actually start to do a little edge work. At 2 1/2 -3 they are just learning how to fall, get up, move forward and stop. Plus, I don't think they make a hockey skate smaller than a youth size 6. At 2 1/2, that may still be too big.

Its great that you will be getting him out that young!

CDX is the 43.28%.

Actually, wouldn't he be the 56.72%? Nice job, CDX!

As for me, I'm finally defending my Masters here in a couple weeks and everything is in place and on schedule. Then I'm moving and starting a new job, and I can't wait for a fresh start! I also get to go car shopping in a couple weeks, mmmmmmm. F'N Fantastic!

Oh, and the gym finally opened back up on campus here this week, w00t!

Thank you! Yes, I am immensely proud. And no, it was definitely not easy to do. But really, losing it was the easy part (relatively) - keeping it off is even harder. But I'm confident that the lifestyle changes I've made are permanent.

If you are running half marathons....and you enjoy it...you will be fine.

Great job. As someone who floats up and down the ladder and can focus like mad for 3-6 month periods....to have a 3 year steady drop is impressive. I think you have rewired yourself. Just stay away from stressors as best you can. The thing is too, even if you have a future setback, once you get your body in shape you now know what to do and it is impressive how much your body wants to BE in shape even if you find yourself down the road needed to get going again. But jeez....if you can do a half marathon, you may be out of the woods. :thumbsup:

Yeah, our leagues down here I am pretty sure they have to be 4, so he will be able to play next year. We don't have as much interest in hockey in this area, so it's tough to get enough players together to do anything at all. I do want to get him skating lessons though. When he was two, Target was selling off their entire stock of hockey skates, and they had the kids ones for 8 bucks a pair. We bought 8 sizes, I think, just in case.

He really likes going, which is half the battle. He also runs around the lobby with the skates on just like they were shoes...but when he hits that ice, his legs turn to jello, and he won't put any weight on them. It's just going to take some time, I think. But I would love to have a skating buddy.

Phone interview went as well as possible I suppose. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I will get an invite down for the all day in person interview. Basically my whole entire life is revolving around getting this job right now... but today is fantastic because schools done, works almost done, and i have the entire weekend to Netflix and PS3 my way out of absolute boredom.

Three years is a lifestyle change not a diet.

Exactly. I think the most important thing for me from the very start of this journey was knowing that I needed to make permanent lifestyle changes, not just "go on a diet". Dieting is fine for losing weight, but absolutely useless for maintaining it long term. I was in no hurry, and I averaged less than 1lb per week. There were many weeks that I gained a lb or two. But over time my losses exceeded my gains, and here I am. And it's not over, there is no finish line. But that's OK. It's totally worth it.

CDX is the 43.28%.

I'm striving to be the 5%. That is how many people who lose weight actually keep it off. Sobering statistic, but hey somebody has to be that 1 in 20, it might as well be me. :)

Thanks to everybody for the kudos, I sincerely appreciate all of your words of encouragement.

Oh, and also...it's 51 degrees and sunny on Jan 6th in Buffalo, NY.

F'N FANTASTIC!!!

I made it through the first round of cuts for a job at a University in Virginia and now have a scheduled 1 hour long phone interview for Jan 5... If that goes well I will then be invited for an all day in person interview and then if that goes well I will then be offered a job...

Its like job survivor, just gotta keep surviving the rounds and come out on top in the end.

Do your homework on the people you'll be speaking with, the position, the department and the university, talk to people with jobs like this about the kinds of questions you should ask, think about the questions you can expect and practice your answers until you are very articulate with them, and show enthusiasm for the opportunity.

Good luck.

I need to figure out her ring size.

Done deal?

Good man. I fortunately haven't needed to lose weight like that, but I've been toying with the idea of training for a half-marathon, and I think you just inspired me to quit screwing around and do it already.

Actually, wouldn't he be the 56.72%? Nice job, CDX!

As for me, I'm finally defending my Masters here in a couple weeks and everything is in place and on schedule. Then I'm moving and starting a new job, and I can't wait for a fresh start! I also get to go car shopping in a couple weeks, mmmmmmm. F'N Fantastic!

Oh, and the gym finally opened back up on campus here this week, w00t!

whatcha looking at?

I rarely post here, but read often. Always puts me in a great Friday mood. But a post like this deserves special merit. Dude, you got the monkey off your back (a decent sized one at 132). Having been around overweight people, I know this isn't easy. Congradulations and good luck with your marathon. I'm really happy for you.

Take Care,

Steve

Edited by BMWR100RT
  • Like (+1) 1