All About Natural Disasters

5.6 Earthquake in Oklahoma this morning.  I didn't feel it but a lot of my friends here in Fort Worth did.  At what point do we start making Chesapeake pay for these damages?

160903-oklahoma-quake-mn-0940_e46b731af2

Yeah, that one woke my boyfriend out of bed (he's in OKC).  No damage in his immediate area, fortunately.  It's not bad enough there are actual natural disasters there... now we're adding entirely preventable man-made disasters to the list.

• 4 weeks later...

I know nobody has brought it up yet. I live in SoFL and Hurricane Matthew has been a big story for several days. The media hyped it up big time, and even though it's been a nasty mo-fo, it never turned out to be a killer where I live like they expected. It's been 11 years since we got slammed by Hurricane Wilma. SoFL brings in a ton of new residents so this is their first big storm and the media scared them into insanity. I am a big weather geek and my personal weather station said we got a 37 MPH wind gust and 1.2" of rain. After the media scared everybody into buying up all the gas within 50 miles, selling out Publix bottled water and getting every piece of plywood available. It turned out to be a dud in Boca.

I drag race, and we had a big race in Valdosta two weeks ago. It got canceled due to weather and re-scheduled to this weekend in Jackson, SC (just outside of Aiken). This is the usual track that this race is held every single year. Normally, it would hold about 500 of the best drag racers in the southeast. Since it was re-scheduled and most have regular jobs, most couldn't make it. But, it had to be re-scheduled nonetheless. Since Matthew was supposed to hit, most racers from SoFL decided to stay home. Understandably. But the race had to be finished by the 2nd week of October. Out of 40 racers from our track, 4 of us made it  up here. We raced all day on Thursday and most of today (Friday). 

Either way, it's getting really nasty out. I got here on Tuesday and the hotel I made reservations with was already completely booked by evacuees from Charleston. This town is mobbed. Every hotel is completely booked. We've already had close to 4" of rain and 55MPH gusts and the worse has yet to come. I took video but the Wi-Fi is kinda slow with all the people here to upload. I love this , Mother Nature is my girlfriend. Just saying, if it's this bad 100 miles inland, I really feel for the people that are at this hotel that have homes along the coast and don't know what to expect. 

Have you seen the videos of bass lake? There's a hell of a lot of water out there. I can't wait to explore a bit tomorrow and see how much water is left

I have, all the work they did to repair that road and bridge I'm sure will be washed away when the waters recede. Bass lake park is my go to spot to take my son to train for cross country, I guess we'll need to find an alternative for awhile.

I've been through a few hurricanes since I've been down here, but i don't remember ever seeing that much rain, almost 9 inches here in Holly Springs yesterday. There's a few downed trees in the neighborhood but so far my property came through pretty much unscathed.

Edited by Claude_Verret

The storm wasn't too bad near my part of the coast either. We lost power from about 10 pm on Friday until may 10 am or so on Saturday morning (not sure since I wasn't home when it came back on). Apparently parts of Greenville and Washington, NC are flooded though and it's going to get worse once the rivers peak/crest/whatever the hell they call it due to all the rain dumped in the region.

I've been watching the Matthew storm with close attention since we have a cruise booked to leave out of NYC this upcoming Sunday. Heading down the coast to the southeast Caribbean (Antigua, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, etc.) over 7 days. Really hoping there are still going to be islands to go to, and the whole trip isn't going to be washed out. Also - is the ocean going to be exceptionally rough or will the storm have blown over (heh) by then?

Looking for input from veteran cruisers as this is my first time. Obviously we are newbies since we booked a cruise right after a big hurricane.

The storm wasn't too bad near my part of the coast either. We lost power from about 10 pm on Friday until may 10 am or so on Saturday morning (not sure since I wasn't home when it came back on). Apparently parts of Greenville and Washington, NC are flooded though and it's going to get worse once the rivers peak/crest/whatever the hell they call it due to all the rain dumped in the region.

I wonder how 2ForTripping made out. Doesn't he or his brother have land on Tybee Island? I think that got hit pretty hard with flooding.

I wonder how 2ForTripping made out. Doesn't he or his brother have land on Tybee Island? I think that got hit pretty hard with flooding.

Not sure but I think he's somewhere in the area. I was actually a day off on my power outage stuff. We lost power Saturday night and got it back Sunday morning.

I have, all the work they did to repair that road and bridge I'm sure will be washed away when the waters recede. Bass lake park is my go to spot to take my son to train for cross country, I guess we'll need to find an alternative for awhile.

I've been through a few hurricanes since I've been down here, but i don't remember ever seeing that much rain, almost 9 inches here in Holly Springs yesterday. There's a few downed trees in the neighborhood but so far my property came through pretty much unscathed.

I'm a little over a mile from the lake, but much higher ground.  Our retaining ponds overflowed and flooded the greenway paths, but there was really no sign of trouble in my neighborhood.  Then again, since we're all new construction, there really isn't much in the way of trees to be knocked over.  The craziest thing to me was that on sunday one day after all that rain, my yard didn't even feel like it was wet.

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.