Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

That was more of a huh as in huh... i wouldn't have thought they would have put the C on him considering he has rumored problems staying focused / going out on the town and partying too much / and the abundance of other players on the team that could potentially fill that role better.

I think that was a couple years ago. People do grow up. :)

First post ...

I think there will be a "co-captain" situation for this season ... Gaustad (home games) and Hecht (away games). Myers will move into this rotation in case of injury to either of the "co-captains".

Also, a set of four rotating "A" ... Vanek and Myers (home games) and Roy and Pominville (away games). With Regehr being the replacement for any of these.

-----

Next season I believe Gaustad will be re-signed / extended, but not Hecht. Therefore, Myers will take the place of Hecht and will be a "co-captain" with Gaustad. Regehr, who also will be extended next summer, will take Myers place in the "A" rotation.

First post ...

I think there will be a "co-captain" situation for this season ... Gaustad (home games) and Hecht (away games). Myers will move into this rotation in case of injury to either of the "co-captains".

Also, a set of four rotating "A" ... Vanek and Myers (home games) and Roy and Pominville (away games). With Regehr being the replacement for any of these.

-----

Next season I believe Gaustad will be re-signed / extended, but not Hecht. Therefore, Myers will take the place of Hecht and will be a "co-captain" with Gaustad. Regehr, who also will be extended next summer, will take Myers place in the "A" rotation.

Welcome to the board.

Do you live close to Sunnyvale?

Welcome to the board.

Do you live close to Sunnyvale?

-----

Thank you ... it's great to finally be here ... been reading posts for months (who finally had Ghost whacked) ... finally registered.

As for Sunnyvale ...

Google tells me there are a few ... California, Texas, New Zealand are all no. Apparently there is a Sunnyvale Gate in Brampton, Ontario. That is closer ... same country, but about 2,000 KM away.

I did grow up in Toronto and have relatives in the Buffalo area. Have loved the Sabres from the beginning.

To find me head to Boston on I90 and turn left. Go up the coast through Maine until you come to the Canadian border. From there you just follow the "yellow brick road" through New Brunswick and follow the signs to Halifax. It would be a 25 - 30 hours drive from Buffalo.

-----

Thank you ... it's great to finally be here ... been reading posts for months (who finally had Ghost whacked) ... finally registered.

As for Sunnyvale ...

Google tells me there are a few ... California, Texas, New Zealand are all no. Apparently there is a Sunnyvale Gate in Brampton, Ontario. That is closer ... same country, but about 2,000 KM away.

I did grow up in Toronto and have relatives in the Buffalo area. Have loved the Sabres from the beginning.

To find me head to Boston on I90 and turn left. Go up the coast through Maine until you come to the Canadian border. From there you just follow the "yellow brick road" through New Brunswick and follow the signs to Halifax. It would be a 25 - 30 hours drive from Buffalo.

Well I guess nobody else feels like asking, Do we need to bring our own beer?

I think this board has Canada covered coast to coast now.

-----

As for Sunnyvale ...

You're too new for me to tell whether you're kidding or not; there's a fictional trailer park called "Sunnyvale," set in the Dartmouth area of greater Halifax. It's the setting for Trailer Park Boys, which I think must be the funniest show of all time.

First post ...

-----

Welcome to the site! I think this is crazy talk. Hecht may not make it through the season on the roster, he may not make it to the first game if he is having a recurrence of concussion symptoms. . I don't think they will be putting a c on his chest. I also don't think you make a 4th liner your captain, which means goose is out. I could see a rotation, but it's Pominville, Roy and Vanek in the rotation.

You're too new for me to tell whether you're kidding or not; there's a fictional trailer park called "Sunnyvale," set in the Dartmouth area of greater Halifax. It's the setting for Trailer Park Boys, which I think must be the funniest show of all time.

The real life Trailer Park Boys live in Sackville, NS ... about 10 minutes (Canadian = approximately 10 1/2 minutes US at yesterday's exchange rate) from me.

First post ...

-----

Welcome to the board. Good first post. At first I thought NFW on the co-captain prediction, but it's actually somewhat plausible, and the guys you named are certainly in the mix for letters.

However, while I am a Gaustad fan, that looks like a slug jersey in your avatar. This is a serious problem.

Keep posting.

Welcome to the board. Good first post. At first I thought NFW on the co-captain prediction, but it's actually somewhat plausible, and the guys you named are certainly in the mix for letters.

However, while I am a Gaustad fan, that looks like a slug jersey in your avatar. This is a serious problem.

Keep posting.

Thank you and thank you ... a nicer welcome reply than from Korab ... but I still love him / her (?????) anyway!!

Fortunately, his fist to the snout blocks the slug ... it's my small way to keep the much maligned and under appreciated slug around!!:thumbdown: or :thumbsup:

Of course Ruff has picked the captain in the past. Most certainly during those rotating "C" periods.

I think for the most part you're right but I think and I could be wrong the players make the final decision or the captain or true leader grabs the c. On most teams its the players who choose the eventual Captain in a closed door meeting.

I think for the most part you're right but I think and I could be wrong the players make the final decision or the captain or true leader grabs the c. On most teams its the players who choose the eventual Captain in a closed door meeting.

I'm pretty sure it's happened both ways under Lindy's reign. I seem to recall that the players voted for Rivet. But Lindy most certainly selected the rotating captains. I don't recall how Drury/Briere were selected as co-captains.

I'm pretty sure it's happened both ways under Lindy's reign. I seem to recall that the players voted for Rivet. But Lindy most certainly selected the rotating captains. I don't recall how Drury/Briere were selected as co-captains.

Right on. Also, Lindy selected the Drury/Briere combination.

I greatly prefer a vote.

Eleven, it looks like you are not gonna get your vote.

From the Buffalo News today.

The Sabres have used four captains in their four games. Jordan Leopold wore the "C" against the Maple Leafs on Saturday, while Paul Gaustad, Roy and Jason Pominville had the honor during the first three outings.

The Sabres haven't had a captain since shipping Craig Rivet to Columbus at last season's trade deadline. Ruff has said discussions for a full-time captain are under way.

"We've got a bunch of leaders in the dressing room," Roy said. "Nobody's vying for it. Nobody's really trying to get it. Whoever he picks, everyone is going to go with that decision."

The bold is mine. It looks like Lindy is picking the captain this year.

The 2nd last sentence bothers me a bit. Nobody's vying for it? Are we still a team with noone stepping forward and grabbing the role? Hopefully Roy misspoke but it does raise questions.

The 2nd last sentence bothers me a bit. Nobody's vying for it? Are we still a team with noone stepping forward and grabbing the role? Hopefully Roy misspoke but it does raise questions.

That bothers me as well. You would think that there would be at least 1 alpha male in this group. :blink:

I had read that this morning. And that sentence (not the one about Ruff picking a captain, but the one about no one stepping up and grabbing it) bothered me a LOT.

I had read that this morning. And that sentence (not the one about Ruff picking a captain, but the one about no one stepping up and grabbing it) bothered me a LOT.

Obviously judging by the number of pages in this thread, and the amount of discussion this subject generated in other threads, there are plenty of folks with opinions about who should be captain. But there is also alot of people who don't see a captain on this team. That noone has stepped up and grabbed the captaincy by sheer will of personality tells me that there still isn't a bonafide captain among our "core", even though they are finally showing evidence of maturity.

It also lends credence to those who still feel that the core of this team is without the sort of players that can be expected rise to the occassion in May. Like Korab, I think we still need a stud among our top 6. An Iginla/Guerin type who can raise the level of play and demand respect. And be the leader.

Since Lindy is going to pick - I would like to tell him to pick Vanek. While Myers will be the future captain - I still think he needs a few more years. Roy would be OK but I still picture him skating over to the refs and joking about jock straps or something rather then talking about the call on the ice.

If Lindy's going to pick, I want Regehr. Vanek hasn't stepped up to grab it, at least according to Roy, and unlike Vanek and some other guys, Regehr will be at the right point to step aside when it is Myers's time.

EDIT: But what I see is a situation where they have rotating captains at least through December. I don't like rotating captains at all, but if there's not a strong enough personality to take the job at this point, well, it beats naming one and then stripping the letter from him when he can't do the job.

Archived