Jason Pominville - Captain

Vandaman26

2011-12' Sabres Captain  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the Captaincy?

• Miller
    • Vanek
    • Roy

It's a debate we've been having for a long time. I don't want to see people we just brought in this year get the C like we did with Rivet. I think it falls on this core we've been building around. I think it's time for Vanek to rise to the C. He's become more outspoken as time goes by, I think he's ready for it. As for A's. there's a million people who can wear an A. Roy, Pomminstein, Regehr, just everybody.

How can you say this? What is this based on? Other than Miller, they completely mailed in their most recent game, which was a game 7.

I am optimistic about next season too, but they haven't shown anything yet on the ice when it counts. Not a single GD thing.

you discounted 3 months based off of 1 night so.... Yea this team has more fight than the last 5 years to even make it to that game 7. They havent shown anything yet because the season hasnt started just sayinig though. 1 game does not a season make.

You could base it on the last couple of months of the regular season, but I agree with you on that Game 7.

I have to think with the additions of Regehr and Erhoff and the subtractions of Connolly, Grier and others that this team won't resemble the team finished last season. I'm not saying it will be better or worse. I just don't think there will be that carryover some fans are expecting.

you discounted 3 months based off of 1 night so.... Yea this team has more fight than the last 5 years to even make it to that game 7. They havent shown anything yet because the season hasnt started just sayinig though. 1 game does not a season make.

I liked what I saw for the last 3 months of the season, and I think they played better and with more heart vs. Philly than they did the previous year vs Boston. I just think the game 7 no-show was a disgrace and that top 6 delivered a slightly-better-than-last-year-but-almost-as-terrible performance over the course of the series, which resulted in my "NFW" reaction to your statement that they always play hard and never say die. Also, the '05-'06 team would've destroyed last year's team.

I am optimistic about the offseason additions, but the top 6 hasn't changed enough yet to make me think that the Sabres are real contenders.

I have to think with the additions of Regehr and Erhoff and the subtractions of Connolly, Grier and others that this team won't resemble the team finished last season. I'm not saying it will be better or worse. I just don't think there will be that carryover some fans are expecting.

I think it will be better, and will look different, but it will still be Miller, Myers, Leopold, Sekera, Weber, Pommer, Vanek, Stafford, Gaustad, Ennis, Gerbe, etc. who will be carrying most of the mail.

My choices:

1. Vanek. Seems to be the top choice, no argument here.

2. Regher. He left his home to join us and help us win the cup. He was also an alternate captain in Calgary, so he must have relatively good leadership skills.

3. Pominville. Consistent, well liked by everyone, deserves to be a candidate.

4. Gaustad. Tough veteran that can definitely fire up the team. Doesn't take crap from anyone.

I liked what I saw for the last 3 months of the season, and I think they played better and with more heart vs. Philly than they did the previous year vs Boston. I just think the game 7 no-show was a disgrace and that top 6 delivered a slightly-better-than-last-year-but-almost-as-terrible performance over the course of the series, which resulted in my "NFW" reaction to your statement that they always play hard and never say die. Also, the '05-'06 team would've destroyed last year's team.

I am optimistic about the offseason additions, but the top 6 hasn't changed enough yet to make me think that the Sabres are real contenders.

I think it will be better, and will look different, but it will still be Miller, Myers, Leopold, Sekera, Weber, Pommer, Vanek, Stafford, Gaustad, Ennis, Gerbe, etc. who will be carrying most of the mail.

oooo well when you put it that way yea, time will tell and 05-06 was awesome.

If Pegula has input, Gaustad is the guy.

Early odds:

Rotating 5-2

Gaustad 4-1

Vanek 6-1

Hecht 6-1

Regehr 8-1

Pominville 10-1

Roy 12-1

Leopold 15-1

Myers 20-1

Field 15-1

I guess I'm going to have to wait to see where the money is going. I would've put my cash on Goose but at those odds, why bother? :blink:

Early odds:

Rotating 5-2

Gaustad 4-1

Vanek 6-1

Hecht 6-1

Regehr 8-1

Pominville 10-1

Roy 12-1

Leopold 15-1

Myers 20-1

Field 15-1

This seems pretty on the money although I would have Pommer and Myers ahead of Regehr.

Early odds:

Rotating 5-2

Gaustad 4-1

Vanek 6-1

Hecht 6-1

Regehr 8-1

Pominville 10-1

Roy 12-1

Leopold 15-1

Myers 20-1

Field 15-1

I doubt Hecht would be given the 'C' unless he gets an extension.

• 1 month later...

I was just watching the videos linked in Garth's Ed Kilgore post on Hockeybuzz and I have a question for some of the older posters.

I've been watching the Sabres for over thirty years, but the first few years were spent getting carried into The Aud and sitting on my dad's lap in the blues. As a result, I really only remember Gilbert Perreault in the twilight of his career. I have no recollection of Martin or Robert from their playing days. I do remember Danny Gare, but he was getting older too.

My question is this: In the video in Garth's post(entitled 1979-80 Sabres Clips), I noticed that Gare was wearing the C and that Perreault didn't even have an A on his jersey. While Perreault was our first draft pick ever, Gare came on a few years later. I remember Danny Gare as a dynamic player, but Gilbert Perreault was, and in many ways still is, the historical face of the franchise. He was on the team longer. And he centered the most storied line in team history (all due respect to the 89-16-10 line, which was really great and more from my generation). So why wasn't Perreault the captain of the team at that point? I do remember him being captain later (pretty sure he was wearing it when he scored #500). And even if Gare was better liked by his teammates, more dynamic, more of a leader, whatever, it still seems like Gil should have been wearing an A.

Can one of you who was around at that time tell me why that was? Was he not well-liked? Did he turn it down? Was that clip just from a moment where he just came back from an injury and they hadn't put it back on his jersey? I'm just curious.

I was just watching the videos linked in Garth's Ed Kilgore post on Hockeybuzz and I have a question for some of the older posters.

I've been watching the Sabres for over thirty years, but the first few years were spent getting carried into The Aud and sitting on my dad's lap in the blues. As a result, I really only remember Gilbert Perreault in the twilight of his career. I have no recollection of Martin or Robert from their playing days. I do remember Danny Gare, but he was getting older too.

My question is this: In the video in Garth's post(entitled 1979-80 Sabres Clips), I noticed that Gare was wearing the C and that Perreault didn't even have an A on his jersey. While Perreault was our first draft pick ever, Gare came on a few years later. I remember Danny Gare as a dynamic player, but Gilbert Perreault was, and in many ways still is, the historical face of the franchise. He was on the team longer. And he centered the most storied line in team history (all due respect to the 89-16-10 line, which was really great and more from my generation). So why wasn't Perreault the captain of the team at that point? I do remember him being captain later (pretty sure he was wearing it when he scored #500). And even if Gare was better liked by his teammates, more dynamic, more of a leader, whatever, it still seems like Gil should have been wearing an A.

Can one of you who was around at that time tell me why that was? Was he not well-liked? Did he turn it down? Was that clip just from a moment where he just came back from an injury and they hadn't put it back on his jersey? I'm just curious.

Perreault was a humble, quiet guy. Back then there were more emotional, dynamic, rah rah guys on the team. Bert really wasn't a leader, and I suspect that he preferred it that way.

Before Gare, Schoenfeld was captain, and he was even younger. i don't know if Bert turned it down but it would not surprise me, he was not a rah-rah guy at all.

The 'A' thing is kinda weird, they had them in the 70s and there are pictures of Perreault with an 'A' ... but in the 80s and 90s they disappeared pretty much from the whole league ... they obviously brought them back at some point, I don't remember exactly when.

• 3 weeks later...

Which brings me to a point I kinda wanted to make but was not sure about, Derek Roy reenters the lineup for game 7 and the team is flat and bombs hardcore.... coincidence or locker room cancer?

I am going with tired legs and young defense. Roy I thought looked like anyone would after months on the IR and I thought his game was decent... But god it makes me wonder about Roy... of course I don't see Regehr in particular putting up with Roy if that is in fact the case and all it takes is one crack to break a dam or change a room.

Which brings me to a point I kinda wanted to make but was not sure about, Derek Roy reenters the lineup for game 7 and the team is flat and bombs hardcore.... coincidence or locker room cancer?

I am going with tired legs and young defense. Roy I thought looked like anyone would after months on the IR and I thought his game was decent... But god it makes me wonder about Roy... of course I don't see Regehr in particular putting up with Roy if that is in fact the case and all it takes is one crack to break a dam or change a room.

:blink: :blink: :blink: This post wins three blinky heads.

I see your three blinky heads :blink: :blink: :blink:

and raise you a :doh:

...in my defense my roomate just got punched.... <_< can't even go pee around here. Sorry folks, I have no feeling that out of shape roy was the sabres problem in game 7.... and now my roommate must :death:

:worthy: apologies

Everything is better with a light bladder. :thumbsup:

lol. I came out and he's laughing and I am like "whats so funny" and he goes "family guy"... so I go back to sabrespace and homework and I see chz posted in this thread... I read and I am like ? and then I go back a page and scroll down... then i walk over and smacked him because that did not make sense at all! I say "dude you can;t just use my name and post crap like "hey roy came back and the sabres lost must be him" because it makes no sense and I have said a lot i do not think Roy is cancer or had anything to do with the loss, I think the team was burnout and they were bound to have a crap game and it was sad it was game 7... live and learn. But my roommate is now bleeding in the corner so its all good :thumbsup:

hell I would have negative rep that post holy crap...

To kind of bring this full circle I would like Roy to get an A because I think responsibility helps him more than anything and I think he could return to his point per game pace he had last season.

Archived