All About Winnipeg

spndnchz

Oh man, I hadn't even thought of that...

I wonder how all the players will feel, going from a warm non hockey climate, to freezing manitoba that embraces the sport. I know trades, etc happen and are part of all sports but that's still quite the extreme change

I wonder how all the players will feel, going from a warm non hockey climate, to freezing manitoba that embraces the sport. I know trades, etc happen and are part of all sports but that's still quite the extreme change

Personally, I'd be looking forward to not being in Hot-lanta. It's been 92 in Rochester today and I want to die. I'll take Winnipeg over Georgia so that I can stop sweating like I'm a cast member in Top Gun.

Obviously I'm not an NHL hockey player or someone who's opinion is shared by many, but I think for most of them it will be nice to play in a city (and country) that loves the sport. Most of the players on that team are from Canada, the northern US, Russia or Eastern Europe. I don't think they'll hate it, and if the summers aren't warm enough, they can just go vacation somewhere. Most do anyway.

Personally, I'd be looking forward to not being in Hot-lanta. It's been 92 in Rochester today and I want to die. I'll take Winnipeg over Georgia so that I can stop sweating like I'm a cast member in Top Gun.

Obviously I'm not an NHL hockey player or someone who's opinion is shared by many, but I think for most of them it will be nice to play in a city (and country) that loves the sport. Most of the players on that team are from Canada, the northern US, Russia or Eastern Europe. I don't think they'll hate it, and if the summers aren't warm enough, they can just go vacation somewhere. Most do anyway.

Laugh-O'-the-Day right there.

And I completely agree. I'll take North over South any day. I'm not looking forward to when my wife and I are going to have to make that decision eventually.

I imagine somewhere near Atlanta there is some kid with his heart broken today.

I don't blame Winnipeg for cheering today - but free agent franchises is an idea I can't get behind.

That's something I completely failed to realize. Damn X, why you have to be such a downer? All I can picture is the 10 year old in a Ladd jersey, crying on his bed wondering why this has happened.

On a brighter note, I like the addition of a Canadian team and I believe that they will make it stick this time.

And come to think of it, Winnipeg knows the kick in the chest Atlanta if feeling, just hopefully not twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q45bPDlBpg

So, one season from now what do the divisions look like? Supposedly, a source at CBS sez that this idea is being thrown around seriously.

Pacific Davision

Vancouver

LA

Anaheim

San Jose

Phoenix

Mountain Division

Colorado

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Minnesota

Calgary

Midwest Division

Dallas

St.Louis

Nashville

Chicago

Columbus

Eastern Conference

Great Lakes Division

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Toronto

Buffalo

Ottawa

Northeast Division

Montreal

Boston

NY Islander

New Jersey

NY Rangers

Atlantic Division

Tampa Bay

Florida

Washington

Philly

Carolina

Personally, I don't see any allignment that puts Philly in with the Florida and Carolina teams as getting through committee. They won't want to be stuck with all those non-hockey markets in their division.

So, one season from now what do the divisions look like? Supposedly, a source at CBS sez that this idea is being thrown around seriously.

Personally, I don't see any allignment that puts Philly in with the Florida and Carolina teams as getting through committee. They won't want to be stuck with all those non-hockey markets in their division.

I would hate to see the Sabres leave a division with Montreal and Boston. I would trade Ottawa for Detroit though.

Happy for Winnipeg. Sad for the Atlanta hockey fans. 1, 100, 1,000 or 100,000. It doesn't matter how many there were. It is still a sad day for hockey.

Link from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

This has to be one of the worst things one could say about a city:

"No other U.S. city has lost a professional sports franchise to Canada, and now it’s happened to Atlanta twice -- in the same league."

But the only reason that's true is the NHL flat out blackballed Saskatoon and Balsillie. There could easily have been at least 2 other members of that distinguished club that Hotlanta presides over.

Pacific Davision

Vancouver

LA

Anaheim

San Jose

Phoenix

Mountain Division

Colorado

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Minnesota

Calgary

Midwest Division

Dallas

St.Louis

Nashville

Chicago

Columbus

Eastern Conference

Great Lakes Division

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Toronto

Buffalo

Ottawa

Northeast Division

Montreal

Boston

NY Islander

New Jersey

NY Rangers

Atlantic Division

Tampa Bay

Florida

Washington

Philly

Carolina

I'd flip the Avs and Nucks. My 2nd choice would be to have Dallas in the SW, sliding Minny into the old Norris, again w/ the Nucks playing most of their away games in Canada.

I'd also keep Moe-ray-all in the Border Town/Canuck division. While I'd have Filly in the SE, I agree that Comcast isn't going for that and expect that the Pens would be flying south in that scenario.

But the only reason that's true is the NHL flat out blackballed Saskatoon and Balsillie. There could easily have been at least 2 other members of that distinguished club that Hotlanta presides over.

Tell that to the writer of that article. Whoever it was made that observation.

Hopefully, the NHL will learn its lesson not to ever put another franchise in Atlanta.

Pacific Davision

Vancouver

LA

Anaheim

San Jose

Phoenix

Mountain Division

Colorado

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Minnesota

Calgary

Midwest Division

Dallas

St.Louis

Nashville

Chicago

Columbus

Eastern Conference

Great Lakes Division

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Toronto

Buffalo

Ottawa

Northeast Division

Montreal

Boston

NY Islander

New Jersey

NY Rangers

Atlantic Division

Tampa Bay

Florida

Washington

Philly

Carolina

Put New Jersey in the Southeast instead of Philly, nobody likes them or pays attention to them anymore. Problem Solved.

I also really like the idea of having Detroit and Pittsburgh in the same division. It makes sense because they've formed a little bit of a rivalry since those Stanley Cup Final repeats. It would be a good 3-way competition to see who is the real Hockey town, Detroit, Pittsburgh, or Buffalo.

An article in the Nashville paper mentioned that the Preds may be considered for the Southeast Division:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110526/SPORTS02/305260049/Predators-could-get-chance-move-East?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s

Personally, I'd rather Detroit or Columbus moves east...

Nashville desperately wants to be in the SE. Columbus and Detroit both want to be in the eastern conference. Only 1 of these things will happen w/out at least 1 more franchise moving.

Any guess as to which one will get its way?

(Hint: it'll be the one w/ more than 1 playoff series victory in its entire history.)

Pacific Davision

Vancouver

LA

Anaheim

San Jose

Phoenix

Mountain Division

Colorado

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Minnesota

Calgary

Midwest Division

Dallas

St.Louis

Nashville

Chicago

Columbus

Eastern Conference

Great Lakes Division

Detroit

Pittsburgh

Toronto

Buffalo

Ottawa

Northeast Division

Montreal

Boston

NY Islander

New Jersey

NY Rangers

Atlantic Division

Tampa Bay

Florida

Washington

Philly

Carolina

This could work but you'd have to tweak it:

Detroit back to Midwest Division

Montreal back to Great Lakes Division

Philly back to Northeast Division

Nashville to Atlantic Division

I like the idea of shaking things up more but I don't think you could separate Montreal from Toronto or Philly from all those Northeast Division teams. It'd be fun to play Detroit more but I think Nashville is the better candidate to switch conferences to be closer to the Florida teams and Carolina.

The new division names are awesome though.

P.S. What the hell do we do when Quebec gets the Nordiques back?

I think the league will consider many priorities when rearranging the conferences, but one of them will definately be keeping the likelyhood of the non-traditional market teams making the playoffs very high. Moving Detroit east as atlapeg leaves for the west just makes it harder for carolina and florida to make the playoffs. It also makes it harder to ensure the rangers ($$$$$$$) and toronto ($$$) make it. moving columbus east wouldn't have that effect. I know this would be shortsighted, but come on, this is the NHL.

Archived