All About Winnipeg

spndnchz

I was hoping for the Winnipeg Thrashers because Winnipeg shouldn't keep the Jets name after moving away. Start New!

But then, does anyone want to cheer for a team named "The Trashers?" Let alone, does anyone know what a Thrasher is?

I was hoping for the Winnipeg Thrashers because Winnipeg shouldn't keep the Jets name after moving away. Start New!

But then, does anyone want to cheer for a team named "The Trashers?" Let alone, does anyone know what a Thrasher is?

It's a bird similar to what they use for their logo.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/id

We got any idea on a uni or anything yet?

A bit from Chris over at Icethetics:

they wanted to have a prototype jersey ready for the draft, but were worried about knockoffs showing up before they were able to put official merchandise on sale. So production time is likely the reason we'll have to wait to see the new branding.

The team has also said that the colors "won't be completely different" from the old Jets. I take that to mean possibly a darker shade of blue and the addition of a third color such as silver. So another red and blue team, then.

Reading Mike Harrington this morning you would think that Winnepeg was farther away from Buffalo than Sunrise Florida.

"But that's a small price to pay to avoid having to go to Winnipeg more than once a year."

Winnepeg Manitoba is closer to Buffalo than Sunrise. And about the same distance as Tampa.

Reading Mike Harrington this morning you would think that Winnepeg was farther away from Buffalo than Sunrise Florida.

"But that's a small price to pay to avoid having to go to Winnipeg more than once a year."

Winnepeg Manitoba is closer to Buffalo than Sunrise. And about the same distance as Tampa.

I'm guessing you don't want to see the residents of Winnipeg wearing bikinis though.

I'm guessing you don't want to see the residents of Winnipeg wearing bikinis though.

No...but having Winnipeg in the East hurts the SE teams more than it hurts Buffalo.

Winnipeg should be a 2 hr. direct flight. Just 35 more minutes more than Atlanta.....and they probably make up the balance of that time skipping the Hatfield to Phillips trip, I'm betting the Sabres are in the Arena in less time.

It will certainly be an easier trip than the commute from the airport to the arena in Sunrise, FL.

• 3 weeks later...

Not overly impressed, but I'd expect the Winnipeg faithful will like it.

They could skate out there in figure-skating costumes and the Winnipeg faithful would like it, after this long without the NHL.

They could skate out there in figure-skating costumes and the Winnipeg faithful would like it, after this long without the NHL.

At 1st I was going to agree w/ you, but then I thought about it some more. Even the Isles fans didn't appreciate it when their team wore clown colors and the Gorton's FishermanTM on the ice. Of course, the little hint that Chz has provided us, makes me believe it's nowhere near that level so even if they're the equivalent of the Bills' highschool 2000's era unis, yeah, those folks will be lining up for them.

W/ the Jet rocketing upwards and the red maple leaf behind it, I'd expect it would be their attempt at making the Jets 'Canada's team' or something like that. At a minimum it'd be tugging on the heartstrings of local and national pride, even if it may look (to me, at least) like some sort of Air Canada rip off.

It's all about the symbolism, which is why I despised the abominable snot smear or 'slug' as most preferred to reference it.

[EDIT: I didn't notice the little compass point heading towards North as well. A little tribute to the ownership group, perhaps? Assuming this is, in fact, the logo that will be unveiled shortly.]

At 1st I was going to agree w/ you, but then I thought about it some more. Even the Isles fans didn't appreciate it when their team wore clown colors and the Gorton's FishermanTM on the ice. Of course, the little hint that Chz has provided us, makes me believe it's nowhere near that level so even if they're the equivalent of the Bills' highschool 2000's era unis, yeah, those folks will be lining up for them.

W/ the Jet rocketing upwards and the red maple leaf behind it, I'd expect it would be their attempt at making the Jets 'Canada's team' or something like that. At a minimum it'd be tugging on the heartstrings of local and national pride, even if it may look (to me, at least) like some sort of Air Canada rip off.

It's all about the symbolism, which is why I despised the abominable snot smear or 'slug' as most preferred to reference it.

[EDIT: I didn't notice the little compass point heading towards North as well. A little tribute to the ownership group, perhaps? Assuming this is, in fact, the logo that will be unveiled shortly.]

It is. The logos aren't bad.

Archived