All About Winnipeg

spndnchz

Milwaukee is arguably the only metropolitan market in Wisconsin that could sustain attendance and TV ratings for a pro team. Downtown Milwaukee is right on the edge of the 90-mile radius from the United Center. Most of the state of Wisconsin would watch and support a team, but there's a lot of people in Wisconsin that wouldn't be able or willing to drive to Milwaukee for a Tuesday night regular season game.

There's also some question about whether Milwaukee would be able to support four (including Packers) professional sports franchises.

Three teams (including GB) and the Badgers are more than enough for that market to handle. Frankly, I'm surprised that the Bucks and Brewers still are there (the latter though, surely is due to Selig).

Milwaukee is arguably the only metropolitan market in Wisconsin that could sustain attendance and TV ratings for a pro team. Downtown Milwaukee is right on the edge of the 90-mile radius from the United Center. Most of the state of Wisconsin would watch and support a team, but there's a lot of people in Wisconsin that wouldn't be able or willing to drive to Milwaukee for a Tuesday night regular season game.

There's also some question about whether Milwaukee would be able to support four (including Packers) professional sports franchises.

Three teams (including GB) and the Badgers are more than enough for that market to handle. Frankly, I'm surprised that the Bucks and Brewers still are there (the latter though, surely is due to Selig).

I was bored earlier this week so I listened to the fan 590 for puck talk and they talked winnipeg and the name. The guy who was on said several names are being considered, including the Polar Bears.

Polar Bears? For real? Wtf.... if this is true maybe its not too late for bettman to say this was one huge misunderstanding and send them back to atlanta.... lol now wouldn't THAT be a story?? Lol

I was bored earlier this week so I listened to the fan 590 for puck talk and they talked winnipeg and the name. The guy who was on said several names are being considered, including the Polar Bears.

Polar Bears? For real? Wtf.... if this is true maybe its not too late for bettman to say this was one huge misunderstanding and send them back to atlanta.... lol now wouldn't THAT be a story?? Lol

Well, the Polar Bears DID win the National Championship last season: http://www.pbrawr.com/media.html

How could you not love these jerseys? http://www.pbrawr.com/shirt-front.jpg

B-)

• 2 weeks later...

It's official. Thrashers to Winnipeg voted YES at BOG meeting today.

So, do they announce the name at the Draft? It would be neat if they had a cover over their symbol on the board, then when Winnipeg comes up for the pick, they could say, "with their first pick, the new Winnipeg _______s select _________!" Though, I suppose that might steal a little thunder from the kid getting picked.

Or, maybe, Bettman can announce a trade: "the Phoenix Coyotes trade the name 'Jets' to Winnipeg for future considerations."

So, do they announce the name at the Draft? It would be neat if they had a cover over their symbol on the board, then when Winnipeg comes up for the pick, they could say, "with their first pick, the new Winnipeg _______s select _________!" Though, I suppose that might steal a little thunder from the kid getting picked.

Or, maybe, Bettman can announce a trade: "the Phoenix Coyotes trade the name 'Jets' to Winnipeg for future considerations."

What jersey will they give their pick too? From what I've heard the don't have one yet.

Winnipeg's NHL site

"Tickets for the TNSE 2011 NHL Entry Draft Party will go on sale tomorrow, Saturday, June 18th at 10:00 a.m. Seating will be general admission. Tickets will be $10.00, including applicable service charges for all adults while children under 12 will be $5.00 including applicable service charges. "

Gee - they have the richest owner and they are charging for their draft party? Hope it includes some free food.

Didn't like my post with the link from yesterday two posts above yours? :P

I read ur post but got hung up on the price of admission part and missed ur link. Naturally people will pay, especially after being in Hockey hell for so long but seriously why charge?

I read ur post but got hung up on the price of admission part and missed ur link. Naturally people will pay, especially after being in Hockey hell for so long but seriously why charge?

Gotta recoup some of that purchase price.

Guess it shows a little bit that they are in it more for the money than the love of the game.

Gotta recoup some of that purchase price.

Guess it shows a little bit that they are in it more for the money than the love of the game.

Why can't they have both? If it there was no financial part to it at all, they wouldn't charge for tickets to games either.

Why can't they have both? If it there was no financial part to it at all, they wouldn't charge for tickets to games either.

Also, reduce (or at least measure) the attendence. Presumably there are logistics involved with throwing such a party so it's good to know if 100 or 10,000 people are going to show up.

Also, reduce (or at least measure) the attendence. Presumably there are logistics involved with throwing such a party so it's good to know if 100 or 10,000 people are going to show up.

Good point. :)

But the Sabres aren't asking - though perhaps since they have done these events before they have an idea how many people will show up.

It's Winnipeg - they're new - expect a full house.

Archived