All About Winnipeg

spndnchz

Please tell me that "really interesting" was sarcasm.

My 3 year old drew the exact same thing. I told her it was crap and I was ashamed of her.

Disclaimer: Cross if that's your kid I think it's an awesome logo. Good job son.

My 3 year old drew the exact same thing. I told her it was crap and I was ashamed of her.

Disclaimer: Cross if that's your kid I think it's an awesome logo. Good job son.

Yeah, that would have been nice if I actually had ANY children. :cry:

Yeah, that would have been nice if I actually had ANY children. :cry:

The more I think about it, and the longer it goes before they announce the name, the more I think that the new team will NOT be called the "Winnipeg Jets". For one, this is not the old Jets, and I think that they'd rather start fresh with a new team and name. It's not like the Jets were all that successfull in thier first incarnation anyway...

The more I think about it, and the longer it goes before they announce the name, the more I think that the new team will NOT be called the "Winnipeg Jets". For one, this is not the old Jets, and I think that they'd rather start fresh with a new team and name. It's not like the Jets were all that successfull in thier first incarnation anyway...

They've taken all the "Moose" signs and crap off the arena today. Should have a name soon.

The more I think about it, and the longer it goes before they announce the name, the more I think that the new team will NOT be called the "Winnipeg Jets". For one, this is not the old Jets, and I think that they'd rather start fresh with a new team and name.

Disagree on all points.

The "Jets" branding is property of Phoenix. But, coincidentally, because they're in the shitter too, Phoenix is property of the NHL. In a stunning non-dick move, Gary Bettman has publicly stated that if True North wants the "Jets" back in Winnipeg, they can get the branding rights. I think longer this goes on, the more likely the negotiations will be for the "Jets" branding to end up in Winnipeg. Winnipeg fans and media have been voicing and polling their opinions, with the Jets name trending as the heavy favorite.

It may not precisely be the old Jets, but I'm pretty sure not many people in Winnipeg care for the team in Phoenix, nor do they expect the Coyotes to really be the old Jets after a city change, brand change, personnel changes, ownership changes, 15 years, and bankruptcy. They have a new lease on a franchise that's just as good as digging up the Coyotes. Why not stay true to city nostalgia, history, and spirit by keeping the Jets brand?

It may not precisely be the old Jets

And the Sens ain't precisely the old Senators either. :thumbsup:

(History lesson for those interested: the original Ottawa Senators, founded in 1883, became the St. Louis Eagles in 1933-34. The current Ottawa Senators, founded in the 1990 expansion, are a completely different franchise.)

Disagree on all points.

The "Jets" branding is property of Phoenix. But, coincidentally, because they're in the shitter too, Phoenix is property of the NHL. In a stunning non-dick move, Gary Bettman has publicly stated that if True North wants the "Jets" back in Winnipeg, they can get the branding rights. I think longer this goes on, the more likely the negotiations will be for the "Jets" branding to end up in Winnipeg. Winnipeg fans and media have been voicing and polling their opinions, with the Jets name trending as the heavy favorite.

It may not precisely be the old Jets, but I'm pretty sure not many people in Winnipeg care for the team in Phoenix, nor do they expect the Coyotes to really be the old Jets after a city change, brand change, personnel changes, ownership changes, 15 years, and bankruptcy. They have a new lease on a franchise that's just as good as digging up the Coyotes. Why not stay true to city nostalgia, history, and spirit by keeping the Jets brand?

The name and associated logos are the property of the league, not the francise.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it is going to be the Jets. All I am saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the owners decide to start fresh.

My friend and I were just discussing where the Coyotes might end up. Why is there no team in Milkaukee or other WI city? College hocky is huge there. Or is that actually the reason?

The name and associated logos are the property of the league, not the francise.

Don't get me wrong, I hope it is going to be the Jets. All I am saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if the owners decide to start fresh.

My friend and I were just discussing where the Coyotes might end up. Why is there no team in Milkaukee or other WI city? College hocky is huge there. Or is that actually the reason?

College hockey is huge there, and there is an AHL team in Milwaukee (the Admirals). I don't know how their attendance is, or what the drawing would be for an NHL team. I wouldn't mind seeing Quebec city or Hartford get teams back.

You're right. After checking the USPTO and the CIPO databases, the logos and wordmarks for the Winnipeg Jets have been registered by the NHL since at least 1999 and 2002 respectively.

Some consider the return of the Jets brand in Winnipeg as a slap in the face to Bettman, making it at least a little surprising that the option exists. The more I think about it, the more I think that True North is doing research and weighing options to try to determine what the new branding should be in order to avoid a debacle equal or greater than the great slug unveiling...

Fans: "We want the 'Jets.'"

Ownership: "We're proud to announce the formation of the 'Manitoba Sasquatches.' Team colors will be beige and shitbrown...and dogshitbrown."

Fans: "We said 'Jets!'"

Well, the Flames club took the name with them from Atlanta to Calgary - I doubt that the current team will retain the "Thrashers" moniker when it moves north, though. I would expect quite the hue and cry from Winnipeg fans if the team isn't re-christened the Jets. But as others have pointed out, the organization that was the Jets now resides in Phoenix. Their FO may have a legitimate complaint if the league decides to let the Thrashers become the new Jets (i.e. vintage sweater and other vintage logo merchandise - who would get the revenue; Phoenix or Winnipeg?). Interesting question. Of course, I am still dumbfounded that Bettman is fighting like hell to keep a team in Phoenix when the city seems ambivalent about keeping them. Why not let the Coyotes go back to Winnipeg and move the Thrashers to Arizona? That solves a number of issues.....I'm just sayin'

Well it's just like the Browns getting a franchise when the old Browns moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens. It would have been absurd if they called them new team something other than the Browns.

Note... I'm not sure what differences existed with that situation.

You're right. After checking the USPTO and the CIPO databases, the logos and wordmarks for the Winnipeg Jets have been registered by the NHL since at least 1999 and 2002 respectively.

Some consider the return of the Jets brand in Winnipeg as a slap in the face to Bettman, making it at least a little surprising that the option exists. The more I think about it, the more I think that True North is doing research and weighing options to try to determine what the new branding should be in order to avoid a debacle equal or greater than the great slug unveiling...

Ownership: "We're proud to announce the formation of the 'Manitoba Sasquatches.' Team colors will be beige and shitbrown...and dogshitbrown."

This is the most I've laughed at any post here, ever. Two days in a row there have been great lines.

And a perfectly good name like the Manitoba Assiniboines will probably go to waste too.

Dude, pure genious! :thumbsup:

Well, the Flames club took the name with them from Atlanta to Calgary - I doubt that the current team will retain the "Thrashers" moniker when it moves north, though. I would expect quite the hue and cry from Winnipeg fans if the team isn't re-christened the Jets. But as others have pointed out, the organization that was the Jets now resides in Phoenix. Their FO may have a legitimate complaint if the league decides to let the Thrashers become the new Jets (i.e. vintage sweater and other vintage logo merchandise - who would get the revenue; Phoenix or Winnipeg?). Interesting question. Of course, I am still dumbfounded that Bettman is fighting like hell to keep a team in Phoenix when the city seems ambivalent about keeping them. Why not let the Coyotes go back to Winnipeg and move the Thrashers to Arizona? That solves a number of issues.....I'm just sayin'

Tru North has already stated that the name Thrashers will be staying in Atlanta. So no worries there...

I read an opinion piece somewhere (TSN maybe?) where a writer theorized that Bettman has a personal stake in Pheonix because Blasille (sp?) once remarked that "hockey will never work in the desert" and letting the team move would essentially confirm that he was right and Bettman was wrong. So to sumarize, Bettman is too butt hurt to let that happen...

Tru North has already stated that the name Thrashers will be staying in Atlanta. So no worries there...

I read an opinion piece somewhere (TSN maybe?) where a writer theorized that Bettman has a personal stake in Pheonix because Blasille (sp?) once remarked that "hockey will never work in the desert" and letting the team move would essentially confirm that he was right and Bettman was wrong. So to sumarize, Bettman is too butt hurt to let that happen...

You know, somehow, this wouldn't surprise me in the least bit at all. :doh:

I figured it had to do with either money or pride. Oh, and thanks for putting the word "butt" right near Bettman's name. Now that's a thought I can't wait to get out of my head...:blink:

Why is there no team in Milkaukee or other WI city? College hocky is huge there. Or is that actually the reason?

Milwaukee is arguably the only metropolitan market in Wisconsin that could sustain attendance and TV ratings for a pro team. Downtown Milwaukee is right on the edge of the 90-mile radius from the United Center. Most of the state of Wisconsin would watch and support a team, but there's a lot of people in Wisconsin that wouldn't be able or willing to drive to Milwaukee for a Tuesday night regular season game.

There's also some question about whether Milwaukee would be able to support four (including Packers) professional sports franchises.

:lol:

Dogshitbrown offers a kaleidoscope of hues that could make for a kick ass third jersey.

It's Ball-silly. lol

Somehow it's fun to see him, as u say, cockblocked.

:lol:

Dogshitbrown offers a kaleidoscope of hues that could make for a kick ass third jersey.

Though they probably aren't allowed to have a 3rd jersey the first year.

So the home jersey would have to be predominantly the shitbrown since that is the darker color? Would the away jersey be beige with the secondary colors being the shitbrown and dogshitbrown or would it be predominantly white with the three colors as secondary?

Archived