All About Winnipeg

spndnchz

Marv was the Nobel Laureate of coaching. Loved his quips.

As for Chuck, I couldn't stand him. However a friend of mine ran the board at GR for a stint and said that he's actually a great guy, and that a lot of his antics were to provoke listeners into reacting. Much like what we have now.

I couldn't be happier for Muddy Water. They may never be at the top of league revenue, but they will support their team. I want Quebec City to get their team back as well.

There's a reason why Marv is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

Please help me with this: is Muddy Water slang for Winnipeg?

You realize the Sabres were ranked 27th in average attendance during the 2002-2003 season and 20th during 2003-2004. My point being, nobody will pay money to see bad hockey. The bankruptcy as I understand it took place in January of 2003. The bankruptcy was caused by fraudulent ownership and probably getting caught and not being able to field a hockey team, but my original point was, where were the fans when the team was bad? Nobody pays money to see a bad team. It's true in Buffalo, too.

Hell ya, they do pay money to see the maple leafs. They come out in droves. People in hockey mad markets will continue to go to games especially if you have the madness and the population. In the south they just don't have that bred in the bone connection to hockey.

Hell ya, they do pay money to see the maple leafs. They come out in droves. People in hockey mad markets will continue to go to games especially if you have the madness and the population. In the south they just don't have that bred in the bone connection to hockey.

Much like the Bills fans in the states.

I don't know if that's true. The example I always love to use is the Dallas Stars. They have been in the top half in terms of attendance for the better part of the last 10 years. In fact, they were in the top 10 in attendance for 2 years. The last two years, they have moved into the bottom half of attendance and I find it no coincidence that they haven't been in the playoffs the last two years. This is a great example of how hockey can be successful in a Southern market when you put a good team on the ice and that people will show up to games. I don't believe ownership turmoil had anything to do with people not showing up.

The Colorado Avalanche are another very good example as well. For the first half of the decade, they were consistently in the top 10 in attendance figures. They have gradually ranked lower and lower as the team has performed worse and worse on the ice. I would consider Colorado a legitimate hockey market as they have College Hockey and it is a winter weather location, so hockey should be successful there, but again, people show up when the team is good and don't show up when the team is bad.

The Capitals are another team that has been in a hockey market for around 30 years or more. They have been in the bottom half of the league in attendance for much of the last decade. Their attendance figures really started to shoot up over the last 3 years and have put them in the top 10. It's also the case that they have been one of the best hockey teams in the regular season during those three years.

I am not a stastician, and I know there are quite a few on this board who are, but it would appear that correlation between attendance and on-ice winning percentage would be statistically significant. The theory being that when a team has a good on ice product (regardless of location) people will pay to go see their games. If a team has a bad on ice product, people will not pay to go see their games. Perhaps there are some outliers like Toronto and others, but it would appear that good teams draw well and bad teams don't regardless of what city the hockey team is in.

edit: Of course I forgot to mention the Blackhawks which is an original 6 team with a rich hockey history. They've been in the bottom half in terms of attendance and almost very bottom of the league for 7 of the last 10 years. Their attendance is now #1 in rankings for the last three years, and interestingly, they've made it to the playoffs the last three years. There is no better example of the fact that people go to see good teams and don't pay to see bad teams.

You like examples where the team has an awful owner. The Chicago surge happened right after Dollar Bill died. So now we're seeing a few different situations where both the product on the ice sucks and the owner himself sucks. Which one is bringing on the lower attendence, possibly both?

One things for sure, I don't see how the NHL gets out of this one without egg on their face. You can argue the pros/cons on either side, but at the end of the day, they've either failed by letting a bunch of clowns run franchises into the ground and thus proving they're a 2nd tier organization, or they're going to piss off a lot of Canadians.

I've decided to take a different angle and say Bettman keeps ATL & PHX in place and awards two new expansion franchises to WPG and QC. It's like a soap opera....why not one up the stakes?

FWIW and it's friend of friend type BS. I heard the Thrashers staff were told to get ready for an imminent move last week and then told a couple days later to not do anything and hold off.

another obvious name is the " Winnipeg Winnie Poohs... " as

The bear cub was purchased from a hunter for $20 by Canadian Lieutenant Harry Colebourn in White River, Ontario, Canada, while en route to England during the First World War. He named the bear "Winnie" after his hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Winnie"

In the first chapter of Winnie-the-Pooh, Milne offers this explanation of why Winnie-the-Pooh is often called simply "Pooh":

"But his arms were so stiff ... they stayed up straight in the air for more than a week, and whenever a fly came and settled on his nose he had to blow it off. And I think — but I am not sure — that that is why he is always called Pooh."

Winnipeg Winnie Poohs

;)

another obvious name is the " Winnipeg Winnie Poohs... " as

The bear cub was purchased from a hunter for $20 by Canadian Lieutenant Harry Colebourn in White River, Ontario, Canada, while en route to England during the First World War. He named the bear "Winnie" after his hometown in Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Winnie"

In the first chapter of Winnie-the-Pooh, Milne offers this explanation of why Winnie-the-Pooh is often called simply "Pooh":

"But his arms were so stiff ... they stayed up straight in the air for more than a week, and whenever a fly came and settled on his nose he had to blow it off. And I think — but I am not sure — that that is why he is always called Pooh."

Winnipeg Winnie Poohs

;)

:lol: Good to see you, Millsy!

— that that is why he is always called Pooh."

Winnipeg Winnie Poohs

;)

Cool. Marketing would obviously be key. Jerseys, stuffed animals, stuffed animals with jerseys, not to mention the movie about a rag tag bunch of bears who miraculously go to the championship to play the ducks. I'm sure Emilio estevez isn't that busy, might as well work Charlie sheen into the movie as the poohs coach, "winning, duh?".

I also see Larry Quinn involved with the Winnie Poohs. He

will team up with reebok to create a cool new jersey after they drop the Winnie from their name an just go with pooh's. The logo will be an abstract shape of a bear and will be know as the scat logo among message board posters.

Cool. Marketing would obviously be key. Jerseys, stuffed animals, stuffed animals with jerseys, not to mention the movie about a rag tag bunch of bears who miraculously go to the championship to play the ducks. I'm sure Emilio estevez isn't that busy, might as well work Charlie sheen into the movie as the poohs coach, "winning, duh?".

I also see Larry Quinn involved with the Winnie Poohs. He

will team up with reebok to create a cool new jersey after they drop the Winnie from their name an just go with pooh's. The logo will be an abstract shape of a bear and will be know as the scat logo among message board posters.

Maybe we can get some team to be named the eeyore's also - then you can have his tail as the logo.

As Winnie always said, “You can't always sit in your corner of the forest and wait for people to come to you... you have to go to them sometimes.”

this will be the team motto and coaches retort to bothersome media sorts will always be

“People who don't Think probably don't have Brains; rather, they have grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake.”

TSNBobMcKenzie

WPG lawyers signed off on their end. ATL lawyers doing their due diligence now. Soon as they sign off, deal is done, pending board approval.

Bob McKenzie TSNBobMcKenzie

If ATL lawyers sign off today, announcement tomorrow morning. If ATL lawyers don't sign off today, drags out another day or two.

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

Team will play out of the Southeast Division in the Eastern Conference for one year before NHL realignment kicks in.

So I'm going to guess that RJ won't be traveling to do those two games. Maybe he'll do one so he can say he called a game from there.

TSNBobMcKenzie

WPG lawyers signed off on their end. ATL lawyers doing their due diligence now. Soon as they sign off, deal is done, pending board approval.

Bob McKenzie TSNBobMcKenzie

If ATL lawyers sign off today, announcement tomorrow morning. If ATL lawyers don't sign off today, drags out another day or two.

That's just Bob's side of the story. What does his brother Doug think, eh?

Archived