All About Winnipeg

spndnchz

Gary bettman is seriously the biggest dumbass i have ever seen, and the way he operates the league is a joke.

There's a report on the NHL homepage stating that the atlanta winnipeg deal has been finished dated at 5-19 at 11:18pm

Now there's a report on ESPN .com saying that bettman has gone on record saying this isn't true. at 11:37

My question is, who the hell gave the okay to publish that on the NHL WEBSITE, only to have ESPN to deny it?

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AND WHY DOES ESPN KNOW BETTER THAN THE FREAKING LEAGUE!!????

Dude, dude, DUDE, relax! Holy cow.

The NHL story clearly says "REPORT: Atlanta sold to Winnipeg group".

Second of all, i doubt GARY BETTMAN gets phone calls all day to approve what goes on the web site. They've hired people to do that, and i'd guess Bettman doesn't even go on nhl.com.

IIRC, the MTS Centre would have to be upgraded and expanded.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that an ownership group in Manitoba has the cash to buy and relocate a franchise like that (if everything in the report is true). The Canadian dollar is getting stronger by the day, while our greenbacks are getting weaker than melted Jello by the day.

Hockey is just not in Atlanta's blood. This is the second time they've tried, and it looks like it's going to fail yet again.

Cordell saying the Moose would play in St. John's or Thunder Bay if Atlanta moves to Winnipeg.

Anything on Vancouver needing a new affiliate? If Great North doesn't sell the Moose, they're obviously going to want them as their affiliate, just like if the Sabres-Amerks purchase goes through.

I've always thought that would be cool. They need to make a "Rust Belt" division.

It's interesting that Atlanta is actually further west than both Columbus and Detroit.

I would love to have Detroit in our division, although a true Rust Belt division would involve us, Chicago, Detroit, and Pittsburgh. That level of hockey has me absolutely drooling, but we'd be like the Isles in the Atlantic.

Everything I've read has indicated that there is no way Detroit gets to move to the East. The West teams do not want to lose the marketing/money they get with Detroit so they will not be moving. In the same theme - Columbus was rumored to move so they could get the marketing value of bringing in the big names of the East.

Everything I've read has indicated that there is no way Detroit gets to move to the East. The West teams do not want to lose the marketing/money they get with Detroit so they will not be moving. In the same theme - Columbus was rumored to move so they could get the marketing value of bringing in the big names of the East.

It's the NHL. The likelihood that it's the exact opposite of what you read is increased.

I posted about this last night. What happened to my post? Oh there it is, #21. Since when has the admin been combining posts? :censored:

Sorry about your thread (although this is still it). I think people prefer to read the board more like a story. If something become more than rumor I try to combine all the separate chapters into one book for a better read.

If this is a problem someone let me know.

It seems the deal is all worked out for going to Winnipeg.

Things not cleared up yet and need to get done before sale is complete and reported (maybe Tuesday):

• It is thought that the NHL wants not only a $60 million relocation fee, but a portion of the sale price.
  • How the NHL and Atlanta Spirit will split the relocation fee.

Atlanta owners have been losing about 40 million a year and want out.

Bettman knowing this (and with the backing of the BOG) wants mo' money.

The team sale price is $110 million, but the league wants their relocation fee which could be 60-80 million.

It seems the deal is all worked out for going to Winnipeg.

Things not cleared up yet and need to get done before sale is complete and reported (maybe Tuesday):

• It is thought that the NHL wants not only a $60 million relocation fee, but a portion of the sale price.
  • How the NHL and Atlanta Spirit will split the relocation fee.

Atlanta owners have been losing about 40 million a year and want out.

Bettman knowing this (and with the backing of the BOG) wants mo' money.

The team sale price is $110 million, but the league wants their relocation fee which could be 60-80 million.

...you would think betteman would understand that if he lets the team move and they stop losing 40mil a season than he would make more money and the league would too...fail.

I hope this deal goes through because it would be fun to have another canadian team. My question is would they get atlantas draft picks or would there be some shuffling since its sorta a new team? I figure the answer is no they get whatever atlanta had but I am still curious.

...you would think betteman would understand that if he lets the team move and they stop losing 40mil a season than he would make more money and the league would too...fail.

I hope this deal goes through because it would be fun to have another canadian team. My question is would they get atlantas draft picks or would there be some shuffling since its sorta a new team? I figure the answer is no they get whatever atlanta had but I am still curious.

As much as some harbor disdain for Bettman he's done a pretty good job recently on these deals. Getting money from Phoenix to keep the Coyotes. Not just this year but that money is there for the taking for another 10 years. Bettman wants and everyone has approved the move, its the $ split they're hashing out.

Atlanta Spirit is pretty much having a fire sale. They want out, have for a few years now. The league knows this, the attorneys know this (which AYK, Bettman is one) and will take all they can.

It's not a new team. It's the same exact team playing in a new location. Great North is buying the Atlanta Thrashers, not being handed a blank slate.

Have to say I feel bad for the fans in Atlanta, especially the Sabres fans that won't be able to see their team.

Stories I've read show some real hate for the AS LLC. Some calling it AS, Lies Lawsuit Contempt. Seems the Board of Governors had approved the move a few months ago. They gave the ownership group these past few months to find a new owner that wanted to keep the team in Atlanta, they never did. AS, LLC. The "Great Octocluster######" that is.

They're still holding the "Select a Seat" event at Philips Arena this Saturday for people to try out their seats for STH's. Why do this? Why take a single dollar more for something that won't be happening? Why continue the ruse of the team staying?

Have to say I feel bad for the fans in Atlanta, especially the Sabres fans that won't be able to see their team.

Stories I've read show some real hate for the AS LLC. Some calling it AS, Lies Lawsuit Contempt. Seems the Board of Governors had approved the move a few months ago. They gave the ownership group these past few months to find a new owner that wanted to keep the team in Atlanta, they never did. AS, LLC. The "Great Octocluster######" that is.

They're still holding the "Select a Seat" event at Philips Arena this Saturday for people to try out their seats for STH's. Why do this? Why take a single dollar more for something that won't be happening? Why continue the ruse of the team staying?

Probably to get every last penny that can out of the Atlanta market. Even if they do a full reimbursement they can still collect the interest on that money until everything is finalized.

It's too bad. I live in Atlanta, and I enjoy catching the Sabres when they're in town.

This is an epic failure of monumental proportions of Don Waddell. Nobody else is to blame for this. The Thrashers had a lot of good will in the community for a long time, but they never built a team that was anywhere close to playoff calibre until this year and they just missed the playoffs. They also got rid of all of their stars in Kovalchuk, Hossa, Lehtonen, etc. If you get rid of your stars, no one will come to games. If you put a lousy product on the ice, no one will come to games. It's that simple. Where were the Buffalo Sabres fans from 2001-2003? They were at home not putting up with the crap and not going to games to see a horrible team that consequently went into bankruptcy. This is not a North/South thing. Nobody will pay money to go see a bad team that has no commitment to winning. It's that simple, and it does not matter what city you're in. It's a shame they couldn't make it work in Atlanta as there are people here who would go to the games and who actually like hockey.

I guess I'll have to come to Buffalo more frequently to catch live Sabres games. That's not a bad thing, either.

Archived