Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

hasek? hmm. enroth definitely comes from the mold of small and spry. hasek was spry, but not a mite like enroth is. (i think hasek is actually about the same build as miller -- 6'1"-ish and thin as a rail.)

my concern with enroth is that part of his success to date owes to the fact that he's an unknown to his opponents -- they don't yet have the book on him. i suspect that as time goes on, we will see teams attacking enroth's weaknesses (whatever they may be). it's at that point that we will be in a position to know whether he's a viable NHL goalie on a long-term basis. this isn't a new story -- happens all the time with nhl netminders (and, come to think of it, calder cup winning defensemen, too). it's just too early to anoint enroth as a long-term answer/option.

The technical side of Enroth's game is as close to perfect as you're going to see. It needs to be at his size. Hasek was, well... not.

I haven't read any of the above posts. Internet was down last night. Cable. Thank God I have DirecTV and was able to watch that awesome game. Very exciting game, and great game by Enroth.

Anyone notice at the end how FIRED UP Vanek was when congratulating Enroth after the game? Tell me this guy doesn't want to win badly. Great to see!

I haven't read any of the above posts. Internet was down last night. Cable. Thank God I have DirecTV and was able to watch that awesome game. Very exciting game, and great game by Enroth.

Anyone notice at the end how FIRED UP Vanek was when congratulating Enroth after the game? Tell me this guy doesn't want to win badly. Great to see!

Yes, I noticed this immediately and I feel the same way -- Vanek has become a real leader on this team and he WANTS it.

As time ticked closer to the Buffalo Sabres' biggest game of the season (so far), it became increasingly clear they'd be without the face of the franchise. Ryan Miller was somewhere between banged-up and seriously injured, the stories went. Either way, the goaltender wouldn't be in net against the New York Rangers.

The mood in Sabreland, which was already sliding toward troubled after Tuesday's loss in Toronto, was turning sullen.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article380623.ece

PUH-LEASE.

I doubt NHL GMs overvalue Miller the way Sabre fans tend to do, but still Miller could be a big piece of the puzzle as the Sabres try to find that elusive number one center of top pair defenseman. Sure, there will be a learning curve with Enroth, but if he's the starter, he and the other youngsters can grow together. Miller's the annoying 30-something guy who's hanging around college parties too long.

Oh, I bet some of them do. Crazy, insanely lopsided trades and personnel moves happen in all four major sports. These are all billion dollar industries, but a lot of teams are still run by dullards. I'm sure there are at least a couple teams that would overpay for Miller just because he's a marque name and maybe the most famous American player right now.

I'm not saying the Sabres should trade Miller, but I do want them to be open to it. They'd have to get a ton in return to justify the risk and immediately fan backlash. But if Enroth is the real deal, it could be the way to take this team to the next level.

It's hard to win big if you don't take some chances along the way. When is the last time the Sabres did anything risky to build their team? [unfortunately, this is why I think it's a moot point. I don't think Darcy Regier has it in him to make a trade so bold that it's failure could wreck the team and get him fired.]

The technical side of Enroth's game is as close to perfect as you're going to see. It needs to be at his size. Hasek was, well... not.

I agree Shrader, :worthy: Enroth looks small/compact in net, but he plays huge and is never caught out of position.

How about TC's play as of late, the guys playing desperate playoff style hockey and the team is following his lead.

Tyler Myers played one of his best games of the season in my opinion (defensively)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Oh, I bet some of them do. Crazy, insanely lopsided trades and personnel moves happen in all four major sports. These are all billion dollar industries, but a lot of teams are still run by dullards. I'm sure there are at least a couple teams that would overpay for Miller just because he's a marque name and maybe the most famous American player right now.

I'm not saying the Sabres should trade Miller, but I do want them to be open to it. They'd have to get a ton in return to justify the risk and immediately fan backlash. But if Enroth is the real deal, it could be the way to take this team to the next level.

It's hard to win big if you don't take some chances along the way. When is the last time the Sabres did anything risky to build their team? [unfortunately, this is why I think it's a moot point. I don't think Darcy Regier has it in him to make a trade so bold that it's failure could wreck the team and get him fired.]

I totally agree with you. Enroth is going to be a starter in this league, where it remains to be seen. I believe trading Miller is the right thing to do. Get 2 good players in return, hopefully one of them being a proven NHL goalie who can play 30 games a season.

If you stick with Miller then next year Enroth needs to play those 25-30 games and if he continues to play like a starter you basically move him the following year.

Look at Vancouver. Cory Schneider has proven he's the real deal. He's 15-3-2 has a .930 save % and a 2.31 gaa His numbers are slightly better than Luongo's if I'm not mistaken. And this isn't all because Vancity is #1 in the league. Many nights Schneider has bailed them out and gotten wins. Luongo has never looked better in goal. He loves to play but even he can't deny that Cory S giving the team starting goalie performances helps Luongo and the team. This is what Buffalo needs to do, we talk about it every year but every year Ruff loses confidence in the backup and Miller plays too much.

Cory Schneider will get traded. He's that good. He will start and Vancouver will get something good in return. But I'd trade Miller and keep the younger goalie and get that solid backup to help him learn.

My favourite part of the highlights package. I rewinded that celebration just to watch Vanek. Awesome!!!

This conversation has been had before. I agree with you 100%, especially the bolded part. Miller is a resource just like everyone else. If the right return is there and the team can be improved, make the deal.

And now that Enroth is starting to show he has NHL stuff, it is time to look into what trade value our 2 goalies have. If moving one of them (either one) can help the team, I say do it.

Probably Mogilny for Peca was the last bold Sabres trade.

hasek? hmm. enroth definitely comes from the mold of small and spry. hasek was spry, but not a mite like enroth is. (i think hasek is actually about the same build as miller -- 6'1"-ish and thin as a rail.)

my concern with enroth is that part of his success to date owes to the fact that he's an unknown to his opponents -- they don't yet have the book on him. i suspect that as time goes on, we will see teams attacking enroth's weaknesses (whatever they may be). it's at that point that we will be in a position to know whether he's a viable NHL goalie on a long-term basis. this isn't a new story -- happens all the time with nhl netminders (and, come to think of it, calder cup winning defensemen, too). it's just too early to anoint enroth as a long-term answer/option.

Hasek was listed as 5'11" 165lbs

Enroth is listed as 5'10" 167lbs

Miller is listed as 6'02" 175lbs

To me Enroth appears shorter than that.

This conversation has been had before. I agree with you 100%, especially the bolded part. Miller is a resource just like everyone else. If the right return is there and the team can be improved, make the deal.

And now that Enroth is starting to show he has NHL stuff, it is time to look into what trade value our 2 goalies have. If moving one of them (either one) can help the team, I say do it.

I wouldn't say it's time yet. We're at least one year premature on all of this. Enroth needs at least one full year at the NHL level before this discussion should be happening.

I wouldn't say it's time yet. We're at least one year premature on all of this. Enroth needs at least one full year at the NHL level before this discussion should be happening.

Shrader, you are right. If Buffalo follows the Canucks' lead in dealing with both Miller and Enroth, then next year will be the time to make the decision. In Vancouver the decision has been made. Luongo has a 12 year deal.

Why? other teams don't have that philosophy. Reimer in Toronto, Price and Halak for the Habs, Rask last year, how bout Patrick Roy. He doesn't need one full year.

Why? other teams don't have that philosophy. Reimer in Toronto, Price and Halak for the Habs, Rask last year, how bout Patrick Roy. He doesn't need one full year.

And what did those teams have in place when they brought up those young guys? They certainly didn't trade away a well established goalie just because that young guy was ready to go.

Well here I go and sorry I was to lazy to quote:

1) Ryan Callahan is a RFA in july for anyone who really likes the kid and for whom ever asked earlier

2) Someone said Enroth is better basically cuz he was drafted in the 2nd round not 5th... One word: Zetterberg

3) Mike Weber is mean and I love it. It has been years since we have had a defense core that will make you pay for whacking away at our goalie or going down low.

4) Trading Ryan Miller is not IMO going to happen this summer or probably even next summer. He probably plays out most of the rest of his contract and he has a 8team list of places he cant be traded to so something to keep in mind.

5) Enroth is a RFA so we are probably spending a bit more than his 866k salary next year, which will impact our cap.

6) Is it me or is this the year of the RFA. Everyone has RFA's of really high quality that will need to be signed. Beware the offer sheet darcy.

7) Vanek should work on his shooting in the offseason.

8) The Portland call ups keep proving there worth which makes me wonder why we have these overpaid "vets" on the team that are either inured or slow...

Great. So how many bags of pucks can we get for Miller? Or maybe we should just cut him outright for "faking" injury along with Tin Man Connolly. That'll show 'em! No overreaction here at SabreSpace.

PTR

The king of hyperbole has spoken

W

Who says Miller is the guy to get moved? Enroth may be gathering serious value to the right team. It is certainly worth keeping an open mind about.

Thoughts from the game...

3. Really bad officiating, perhaps for the second game in a row (I didn't see much last night). But it seemed like the refs spent the whole game giving the Rags breaks after the disallowed goal (which itself should have resulted in a minor, now that I've seen a replay). That slashing call on Monty was nearly as bad as the bogus goaltender interference call in Toronto last night.

he snapped the player's stick like a twig. that call is automatic.

Who says Miller is the guy to get moved? Enroth may be gathering serious value to the right team. It is certainly worth keeping an open mind about.

I agree,I think the best way to assess everything though, is to allow Enroth the time of day as Millers backup. Hopefully Lindy's mindset will change now in terms of splitting playing time. If either goalie can give us a good return, I'm ready to say hey! Lets do it.

I still believe Miller gives us a chance to win night in and night out, and now has an ample backup to bail him out (for the record, I've been all for Enroth since the get-go, even after his horrible outing last year).

Interesting that you would mention Reimer and Rask in the same sentence while trying to make that point. Reimer is there because the Leaves had no one else after trading Rask. (Raycroft, Giguere, Gustavsson and Pogge didn't exactly work out.) Betcha anything that Toronto wishes it had Rask back. I wouldn't look at Toronto as a model of successful goaltender dealings lately. Reimer is hot right now, and Toronto just got lucky with that.

Roy replaced two nobodies who weren't doing well, not an all-star Vezina winner with an Olympic medal. There was no decision to be made.

I'm not sure what point you're making with Price and Halak. I'm not sure the Canadiens made the right choice there.

There is no need to rush to a decision and the Sabres shouldn't.

Archived