Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Great stuff Leven.

Although the Sabres got caught in the defensive zone for long stretches, they kept the puck to the outside and kept positions well. I hate that defensive zone time. But they had bodies on bodies. :thumbsup:

Very good point. It still had my heart rate near 120 for too long.

I had tennis practice tonight and missed the game, it was on in the lounge and I was sneaking peeks of the game .... so i wasn't paying attention and caught a solid forehand to the chops :/ But it was good to see that we got a huge win!!! And finally we may have a worthy backup. Its almost a blessing the habs lost, that is if our aspirations are on 6th and not 8th

I had tennis practice tonight and missed the game, it was on in the lounge and I was sneaking peeks of the game .... so i wasn't paying attention and caught a solid forehand to the chops :/ But it was good to see that we got a huge win!!! And finally we may have a worthy backup. Its almost a blessing the habs lost, that is if our aspirations are on 6th and not 8th

Frankly, I'm not certain how much it matters. Philly, Washington, Boston...none is truly elite, but neither do any of them have a critical flaw. If anything, I'd like to avoid seeing Tim Thomas.

Frankly, I'm not certain how much it matters. Philly, Washington, Boston...none is truly elite, but neither do any of them have a critical flaw. If anything, I'd like to avoid seeing Tim Thomas.

Two of them have the same critical flaw (goaltending), and Boston is the one that doesn't. I'm with you; I would prefer not to see the Sabres against Boston in the first round.

You know, Miller going down could be the greatest thing for this franchise, and NOT because I think Enroth should start. The Sabres could get 5 more solid years out of Miller if Lindy would just rest Miller more. Enroth could be our new Marty Biron, a guy you have no qualms about playing. Lindy was going to grind Miller to dust. Now he has to trust his backup. If Enroth keeps playing this strong in relief, it will make Miller even better since he could afford to take a rest day.

PTR

While I loved this game and was super excited to see Enroth get his first shutout with his parents flown in from Sweden, I still think he drops too early on a lot of saves. It didn't seem NY got more than one shot above the crest on Enroth's jersey tonight. Everything was down low and being that he's a shorter, agile goalie, he saw each shot coming his way. However I do worry for when a team with more snipers and close range shooting comes his way. Oh well, he's still young and his potential is very promising.

You know, Miller going down could be the greatest thing for this franchise, and NOT because I think Enroth should start. The Sabres could get 5 more solid years out of Miller if Lindy would just rest Miller more. Enroth could be our new Marty Biron, a guy you have no qualms about playing. Lindy was going to grind Miller to dust. Now he has to trust his backup. If Enroth keeps playing this strong in relief, it will make Miller even better since he could afford to take a rest day.

PTR

I like Miller, but I'm starting to see something of a pattern with him. It seems every 4th or 5th game he plays in a row, he'll come out and play poorly like he did in Toronto, regardless if he's had a few days off or not.

Lindy needs to give Enroth a few more starts here, cause it looks like Miller's playing at his limit atm. They won't have any opportunities to rest him in the playoffs, should they make it, and you can't afford off-nights in the post-season.

Buffalo did exactly what they had to in that game. They pressed hard to get a goal and then they played to protect it. They knew going in that NY wasn't going to score a bunch of goals and Lundqvist wasn't going to give up more than two. They had four Pirates on their roster (Mancari, Enroth, Gragnani, Ellis) which should change their style of play.

A couple of random observations.

1. It seemed like Avery was always on the ice. He wasn't with just a little over 10 minutes TOI.

2. Lundqvist is a wall.

3. Dubinsky, Callahan and Gaborik are impressive players.

4. Fedotenko caused our Dmen grief all night by regularly challenging and then stealing the puck.

5. Gaborik must have woke up and said, who was that guy. Enroth made at least three point blank saves against Gaborik.

6. Vanek's chances continue unabated. Another game, another Vanek wrap around attempt. Still no goal on the wrap around.

7. That game gave me flashbacks to the Carolina ECF series.

8. If the Rangers had three more seconds they just might have won that game. Those last seven seconds were excruciating.

9. The crowd sure came alive in that 3rd period.

10. Weber played mean last night.

11. Montador needs a night off.

12. Onley Weber and Niedermeyer didn't get a SOG.

PTR

How do we know Enroth won't be better than Miller? He was drafted 2nd round 46 overall, whereas Miller was drafted 5th round 138 overall. Not that that means a whole lot but a 2nd round draft pick has the organizations hopes to turn into a stud someday and a 5th rounder has hope to turn into a good player someday.

In short they didn't draft a goalie in the 2nd round to be a career backup to a 5th rounder.

6. Vanek's chances continue unabated. Another game, another Vanek wrap around attempt. Still no goal.

He had goals in the last two games prior to last night (New Jersey and Toronto). Unless you meant wrap arounds, that is. That only seems to work about once a season.

He had goals in the last two games prior to last night (New Jersey and Toronto). Unless you meant wrap arounds, that is. That only seems to work about once a season.

Yep, just talking about his penchant for trying that wrap around. I can't remember the last time it worked and yet he seems to try it once a game.

Clearly the refs are allowed a lot of leeway in how they interpret the rules per game. I'm okay with them putting the whistles away the last five minutes or so especially when a game has some momentum - but they still have to call blatant penalties like that trip on Gerbe in the last five.

I understand the philosophy of letting the players decide the game on their own, but you have to call something like that. I think it was with about 3 minutes left and Gerbe was clearly tripped, causing a change of puck possession.

In my mind, the officials just have to be sure they don't call any ticky-tack penalties in those spots (including playoff OTs). Let the players decide the game, but don't let them get away with murder.

anyone else watch the entire post-game show? i did.

sylvester threw it to the locker room and vanek at the ~9:37 mark of the video linked below.

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=105785

wait, what was that TV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE

Buffalo did exactly what they had to in that game. They pressed hard to get a goal and then they played to protect it. They knew going in that NY wasn't going to score a bunch of goals and Lundqvist wasn't going to give up more than two. They had four Pirates on their roster (Mancari, Enroth, Gragnani, Ellis) which should change their style of play.

A couple of random observations.

1. It seemed like Avery was always on the ice. He wasn't with just a little over 10 minutes TOI.

2. Lundqvist is a wall.

4. Fedotenko caused our Dmen grief all night by regularly challenging and then stealing the puck.

5. Gaborik must have woke up and said, who was that guy. Enroth made at least three point blank saves against Gaborik.

6. Vanek's chances continue unabated. Another game, another Vanek wrap around attempt. Still no goal on the wrap around.

8. If the Rangers had three more seconds they just might have won that game. Those last seven seconds were excruciating.

9. The crowd sure came alive in that 3rd period.

12. Onley Weber and Niedermeyer didn't get a SOG.

Good observations. By the way, that is rough if you have to get up arond 5am for work. I thought 7 was bad haha.

3. Heard earlier in the day on WGR how one of the hosts doesn't think the Rags have any stars other than Gaborik and he's surprised they keep winning. Those other two scared me every time they were on the ice and they WILL be stars if not already.

7. I had the same flashback and it was after the second period when we were up by one and the flashback was of game 7. Glad that didn't come true.

9. Crowd seemed quiet the first two periods but was absolutely rocking in the third!

11. It's scaring the crap out of me the way Monty is playing. He's been one of our best defensemen over long stretches of the season. Now he doesn't seem to have a clue. With Leopold down we need Monty to step up!

Why? We've done pretty damn well against the Bruins this year, losing only the first two games. Why not continue the trend, I mean, we do have THE Bruin killer (Stafford). I would rather draw Boston over the other two, and would prefer not to see Washington.

Nice job by Miller ETHRON Tonight. Glad to see that we have a goalie show up to play :doh:

Funny...I hardly noticed Avery.

2. Lundqvist is a wall.

Absolutely. He's solid in net and can be relied upon every night. He has a bad game like every goalie and while I still love Miller, the Rags fans should be kissing the ground that Lundqvist walks on.

Callahan is becoming the next Drury - work ethic is getting better & better and he knows how to score. When is his contract up?

If you mean by seeing the very young defensive corps out there, then I agree.

Montador made way too many mistakes that turned into Rangers' scoring chances. Weber was mean and I like it. That's the ill-tempered d-man I want to see out there.

anyone else watch the entire post-game show? i did.

sylvester threw it to the locker room and vanek at the ~9:37 mark of the video linked below.

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=105785

wait, what was that TV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwODbl3muE

:D

I have to admit, I replayed Vanek's, uh, shriek, many, many times. That's entertainment.

i love dubinsky and callahan. when the rangers were down, there were many 'round here (X. among them) who coveted the boy from the Roc. watching him last night, i think he would fit in very nicely in an up-tempo system like the one lindy has shown he can develop. great player.

PTR

Wow. Seriously? Why want five more "solid" years from Miller when we might be on the verge of many very good years from Enroth? Enroth will get better. Miller is Miller.

I can't understand anyone who can't clearly see the etchings in the crease.

I doubt NHL GMs overvalue Miller the way Sabre fans tend to do, but still Miller could be a big piece of the puzzle as the Sabres try to find that elusive number one center of top pair defenseman. Sure, there will be a learning curve with Enroth, but if he's the starter, he and the other youngsters can grow together. Miller's the annoying 30-something guy who's hanging around college parties too long.

Two final thoughts on Enroth for now. 1. I see some Hasek in his game. He wills the puck to stay out of the net. That whirling dervish save was classic Dom. 2. Kind of refreshing to see a goalie interviewed who isn't so prickly and self-absorbed. Enough said.

4. This team can't afford to carry any more Pirates. Guys need to start getting healthy.

Maybe. I'm not so in love with the big team that I can fully jump on board this statement.

Gragnani over Morrisonn is an upgrade.

This team wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs without the boost Portland gave them.

Two final thoughts on Enroth for now. 1. I see some Hasek in his game. He wills the puck to stay out of the net. That whirling dervish save was classic Dom. 2. Kind of refreshing to see a goalie interviewed who isn't so prickly and self-absorbed. Enough said.

hasek? hmm. enroth definitely comes from the mold of small and spry. hasek was spry, but not a mite like enroth is. (i think hasek is actually about the same build as miller -- 6'1"-ish and thin as a rail.)

my concern with enroth is that part of his success to date owes to the fact that he's an unknown to his opponents -- they don't yet have the book on him. i suspect that as time goes on, we will see teams attacking enroth's weaknesses (whatever they may be). it's at that point that we will be in a position to know whether he's a viable NHL goalie on a long-term basis. this isn't a new story -- happens all the time with nhl netminders (and, come to think of it, calder cup winning defensemen, too). it's just too early to anoint enroth as a long-term answer/option.

hasek? hmm. enroth definitely comes from the mold of small and spry. hasek was spry, but not a mite like enroth is. (i think hasek is actually about the same build as miller -- 6'1"-ish and thin as a rail.)

my concern with enroth is that part of his success to date owes to the fact that he's an unknown to his opponents -- they don't yet have the book on him. i suspect that as time goes on, we will see teams attacking enroth's weaknesses (whatever they may be). it's at that point that we will be in a position to know whether he's a viable NHL goalie on a long-term basis. this isn't a new story -- happens all the time with nhl netminders (and, come to think of it, calder cup winning defensemen, too). it's just too early to anoint enroth as a long-term answer/option.

Also, the team plays a different game in front of Enroth. The defensemen nearly always stay at home and rarely create in the offensive zone. Miller gives the team some freedom there. I like what I see in Enroth and we all know that Miller stunk it up on Tuesday, but, as you say, let's not overreact.

Also, the team plays a different game in front of Enroth. The defensemen nearly always stay at home and rarely create in the offensive zone. Miller gives the team some freedom there. I like what I see in Enroth and we all know that Miller stunk it up on Tuesday, but, as you say, let's not overreact.

I'd like to see the organization overreact for once.

Archived