Game Discussion Thread

spndnchz

Thank you.

This board drives me crazy at times. Miller has one bad game in his last three and the mob is ready to throw him under the bus. He beats Montreal 2-0 (a huge win), beats Florida and then follows that up with a shutout of NJ. Yeah, he sucks.

Enroth stood on his head tonight. The Sabres are officially two deep at goalie... Lalime clearly saw his job evaporate tonight.

FYI - "The Mob" is like 4 or so posters. Granted, when they have something to say about Miller they post alot. But it isn't really a mob.

FYI - "The Mob" is like 4 or so posters. Granted, when they have something to say about Miller they post alot. But it isn't really a mob.

The BS part of that mob, is when he does great they don't say anything, in fact for most of them when the Sabres do well they hardly post anything......He get two shutouts in one week and wins players of the week and nothing is said by the anti-Miller repetition Mob.

Ok... Don't know why all the Miller hate in this thread... (just getting out of work, and seeing what happened).

Does anyone here realize we are sitting on 3 shut-outs in 5 games, by 2 'tenders, nonetheless...

NOW THAT, MY FRIENDS... IS PLAYOFF HOCKEY!!

GO BUFFALO SABRES!! (HUGE WIN!!)

Great post, rep

Regarding the stoppage of play when Lundqvist was injured, the Rangers had seemingly touched the puck in the corner. That's when it's OK for the ref to blow the whistle. If the Sabres had maintained possession, the whistle wouldn't have gone.

If a player is seriously injured, the ref can blow the play dead at any time.

Here's what it weird:

When play has been stopped by the Referee or Linesman due to

an injured player, or whenever an injured player is attended to on the

ice by the Trainer or medical personnel, such player must be

substituted for immediately. This injured player cannot return to the ice

until play has resumed.

So Lundqvist should have come out. But you see goalies get attended to by the trainer all the time without coming out of the game.

Ethron was great. But I was overjoyed with the defense tonight. Myers was sealing people off all night and Dubinsky will be seeing Myers' white buffalo in his sleep. Graniani played a very solid game as well. Strong team D tonight. Not sure I like the outlet pass into the slot from the wall to spring the zone, (boy that makes me nervous) but it worked like a charm.

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

After last night, that felt good.

If Enroth plays the weekend and they sweep the Caps and Canes to all but clinch a playoff spot? There will be a full blown goaltender controversy.

Only in the minds of some. Enroth has been damn impressive, but he wouldn't be the first green goalie to pull off a hot streak and then wilt in the playoffs. Ryan Miller is the starting goaltender for the Buffalo Sabres, and he's actually been playing very well recently.

Some are of the mind that the fact that Miller hasn't repeated last year's greatness means that he sucks. Shades of grey, people. Shades of grey. Miller's statistics this year represent his career averages.

Ethron was great. But I was overjoyed with the defense tonight. Myers was sealing people off all night and Dubinsky will be seeing Myers' white buffalo in his sleep. Graniani played a very solid game as well. Strong team D tonight. Not sure I like the outlet pass into the slot from the wall to spring the zone, (boy that makes me nervous) but it worked like a charm.

They played a solid road game, at home. I was surprised the Rangers weren't more aggressive early. They allowed Enroth to get comfortable.

Regarding the stoppage of play when Lundqvist was injured, the Rangers had seemingly touched the puck in the corner. That's when it's OK for the ref to blow the whistle. If the Sabres had maintained possession, the whistle wouldn't have gone.

If a player is seriously injured, the ref can blow the play dead at any time.

Here's what it weird:

When play has been stopped by the Referee or Linesman due to

an injured player, or whenever an injured player is attended to on the

ice by the Trainer or medical personnel, such player must be

substituted for immediately. This injured player cannot return to the ice

until play has resumed.

So Lundqvist should have come out. But you see goalies get attended to by the trainer all the time without coming out of the game.

Clearly the refs are allowed a lot of leeway in how they interpret the rules per game. I'm okay with them putting the whistles away the last five minutes or so especially when a game has some momentum - but they still have to call blatant penalties like that trip on Gerbe in the last five.

Good point about the D. Night and day compared to last night. That said, Toronto has been making it difficult for lots of teams since the break. Their speed matches up well against us.

GO SABRES!!!

Only in the minds of some. Enroth has been damn impressive, but he wouldn't be the first green goalie to pull off a hot streak and then wilt in the playoffs. Ryan Miller is the starting goaltender for the Buffalo Sabres, and he's actually been playing very well recently.

Some are of the mind that the fact that Miller hasn't repeated last year's greatness means that he sucks. Shades of grey, people. Shades of grey. Miller's statistics this year represent his career averages.

Tell that to Jim Kelly. Despite his numbers there were many that wanted Frank Reich as the starting QB during the Super Bowl years.

Goodness, there is a lot of Miller Controversy® in this thread.

I wanted Enroth to start for the Toronto game, but I'm glad he got a start tonight. If Enroth is steady the next game, and then the next game after that, then I say ride him right through the rest of the regular season. That would give Miller a significant rest and the Sabres would have the most fresh goalie in the playoffs.

Good point about the D. Night and day compared to last night. That said, Toronto has been making it difficult for lots of teams since the break. Their speed matches up well against us.

GO SABRES!!!

Actually ....Burke has given up on trying to build the Anaheim Leafs. They are more water-bug than muscle, they couldn't win big, so they are trying to win with outside speed. makes for entertaining hockey. Interesting change, but it's too late for them.

Wow that was a good defensive game with some timely goaltending. Nice to know Miller has a backup now that can be trusted. It will also be nice to give hime some rest going into the playoff's.

Not crazy about that style and now my lack of fingernails watching Sabres players collapsing in their zone in front of the net allowing point shots and board dominance by the other team but it worked against the Rags. You had them ready Lindy so I say good job.

A little more practice time now for some of these new D pairings and line combinations and I say bring on the weekend games.

These last five games will be real interesting for the 6th-8th seeds lots of things still in play. I'm actually enjoying the thrill of the chase.

Milller sucks!.... No lol i am still kidding, i want him btw the pipes for the playoffs but lalime as nice of a guy as he is, is done. Miller could use a good rest before the playoffs but after his collarbone or w/e it is heels, he should be back. defense gets mad props tonight and def helped the enrothmister out. Good Win, life is good.

So I decided to see what the standings would be if every game were worth 3 points (reg win 3, OT win 2, OT loss 1, reg loss 0). I came up with the following standings:

RW	OTW	OTL	L	Pts	P%
1-Philadelphia	40	6	10	20	142	62.28
2-Boston	40	3	10	23	136	59.65
3-Washington	33	11	11	22	132	57.14
4-Pittsburgh	31	14	8	24	129	55.84
5-Montreal	34	7	7	30	123	52.56
6-Tampa Bay	27	14	11	24	120	52.63
7-NY Rangers	30	11	5	31	117	50.65
8-Buffalo	26	13	9	29	113	48.92
-------------------------------------------------------------
9-Carolina	26	11	10	30	110	47.62
10-Toronto	29	6	10	32	109	47.19
11-New Jersey	25	10	5	36	100	43.86
12-Atlanta	17	15	12	32	93	40.79
13-Ottawa	26	3	10	38	94	40.69
14-Florida	19	10	12	36	89	38.53
15-NY Islanders	18	11	12	36	88	38.10

No change in who's in the top 8, but there is some movement. Boston moves up to 2nd seed. Montreal moves above Tampa Bay for 5th. Buffalo drops to 8th. Another interesting note here is that Buffalo would actually be below .500 in this system.

(Accidentally posted this in the TOR game thread)

Thoughts from the game...

1. ETHRON was amazing. There were several instances where he stopped play to give his teammates a break, when really, it should have been his teammates giving him a break by clearing the freaking zone once in a while.

2. I don't know who was responsible for counting shots on goal, but they seemed way off.

3. Really bad officiating, perhaps for the second game in a row (I didn't see much last night). But it seemed like the refs spent the whole game giving the Rags breaks after the disallowed goal (which itself should have resulted in a minor, now that I've seen a replay). That slashing call on Monty was nearly as bad as the bogus goaltender interference call in Toronto last night.

4. This team can't afford to carry any more Pirates. Guys need to start getting healthy.

5. While I loved ETHRON's game tonight, he nearly cost a goal misplaying the puck behind his net during the Sabres' powerplay.

6. Good thing Connolly shot that puck, huh? But I didn't like much of what I saw from him the rest of the night.

7. The ratio of Rags fans wearing Avery jerseys to Rags fans wearing Rags jerseys as a whole is alarmingly large. I know you people are from Manhattan, but must you idolize a scumbag just because you live in filth?

8. I really hate having to work a suite during a game. Just ruins the whole thing.

9. That 25-minute power play during the second and third periods cannot happen again. See also no. 4 above.

10. A timeout in the first period is rarely a good idea. (No, that does not mean the team needs a new coach.)

11. Just seemed like a good number to end with.

ETHRON interview: Found out he was starting during morning skate. Atmosphere was like a playoff game. Doesn't know how badly Miller is injured or whether to prepare to start on Saturday, but he'll prepare just like he prepares for every game. END COMMUNICATION OUTPUT.

ETHRON interview: Found out he was starting during morning skate. Atmosphere was like a playoff game. Doesn't know how badly Miller is injured or whether to prepare to start on Saturday, but he'll prepare just like he prepares for every game. END COMMUNICATION OUTPUT.

Yeah, not a super in-depth interview, but he said all the right stuff. Doesn't know how bad Miller is hurt but he'll be ready if they need him.

I'm really hoping Lindy gives us a good mix of Miller and Enroth next year.

It really is too bad that he isn't Russian, what with all the robot jokes. That would make for some really funny interviews. :lol:

Thoughts from the game...

1. ETHRON was amazing. There were several instances where he stopped play to give his teammates a break, when really, it should have been his teammates giving him a break by clearing the freaking zone once in a while.

2. I don't know who was responsible for counting shots on goal, but they seemed way off.

3. Really bad officiating, perhaps for the second game in a row (I didn't see much last night). But it seemed like the refs spent the whole game giving the Rags breaks after the disallowed goal (which itself should have resulted in a minor, now that I've seen a replay). That slashing call on Monty was nearly as bad as the bogus goaltender interference call in Toronto last night.

4. This team can't afford to carry any more Pirates. Guys need to start getting healthy.

5. While I loved ETHRON's game tonight, he nearly cost a goal misplaying the puck behind his net during the Sabres' powerplay.

6. Good thing Connolly shot that puck, huh? But I didn't like much of what I saw from him the rest of the night.

7. The ratio of Rags fans wearing Avery jerseys to Rags fans wearing Rags jerseys as a whole is alarmingly large. I know you people are from Manhattan, but must you idolize a scumbag just because you live in filth?

8. I really hate having to work a suite during a game. Just ruins the whole thing.

9. That 25-minute power play during the second and third periods cannot happen again. See also no. 4 above.

10. A timeout in the first period is rarely a good idea. (No, that does not mean the team needs a new coach.)

11. Just seemed like a good number to end with.

Great stuff Leven.

Although the Sabres got caught in the defensive zone for long stretches, they kept the puck to the outside and kept positions well. I hate that defensive zone time. But they had bodies on bodies. :thumbsup:

Archived